Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honda Prelude Track Build

KPARRIS-JONES

Hi all, this isn't Toyota Related hence why I have posted this is General Discussions.

Some of you may know of my project AE92 and that I purchased it at 14, a year on and I'm still working at it but my dad has also purchased a Honda Prelude with a 2.2 litre H22A VTEC engine. It's getting old and the bodywork has seen many better days after a long life in the harsh streets of London. Due to the extreme cost of repairing the body and an equally extreme lack of money too, the first incarnation of this lovely (it is, really) motor will be as a track-day racer.

We aren't aiming for anything hardcore or a beast just yet, but we will be getting him (it's called Murry) prepped and ready for track use by tweaking the motor a little and making it light, because as many people know, a power-to-weight ratio PWR is very important in track cars.

My dad is the owner and it is his car however I will be carrying out quite a bit of work on it and he is my director although I have been offering advise as to what he should do.

Prelude12.jpg

Prelude9.jpg

Prelude5.jpg

Prelude7.jpg

Phase One:

Our first port of call was to strip out the rear interior to save weight and boost that PWR as much as possible to begin with. I proceeded to do this with my friend Dean as dad did some chin-tugging about what parts he wants.

PreludeCarpetRemoved.jpg

PreludeCentreConsoleRemoved.jpg

PreludeRearSeatandBracketRemoved.jpg

PreludeABSUnit.jpg

PreludeBootStripped.jpg

I also created a block for the holes in the centre console where the radio used to be, me and Dean cut the wood and sanded it down to get it smooth and looking suitable. We then painted it in Hammerite Smooth Black to make it blend slightly better. I will have picture of that up soon. ;)

My next task will be to measure up and re-position the ABS and 4WS units to get them lower down and out of the way of the back to keep it looking neater.

Comments are Welcome.

KP

Here is the Dash Block, fabricated, sanded, smoothed and painted:

DashBlockFabbedUp.jpg

This was also done in that one day, that's the plus side of doing it once before! :D

Here is the Dash Block, fabricated, sanded, smoothed and painted:

DashBlockFabbedUp.jpg

This was also done in that one day, that's the plus side of doing it once before! biggrin.gif

Is that a reflection or are the drips extra ?

It's because of the type of wood I used for it. It has different layers and the upper layer had knots in it along the whole thing, and then the layer that we broke through to on the curved part of the block was smoother so the paint looks different. It was unavoidable and I don't mind, it's a track build not a show car. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will also have a go at re-siting the Battery in the boot to make space in the engine bay.

Really love these cars, forget about the body work, it's all about that engine :drool:

You ought to get yourself over to PUK Kp.

Thank you mate, I'll have a look but it's hard enough being a member of 4 forums... :lol:

• 3 months later...

Well after much chin tugging we have decided to remove the engine from the Prelude and put it into the Hyundai Coupe we have lying around. It makes sense seeing as it's light and powerful and still a FWD transverse engine. The H22A VTEC unit is almost ready to come out, we are now taking some measurements on this and the Coupe to see how much fabrication is needed.

I will start up a separate thread for this one...

Well it will be a thread for both cars i.e. it will show the progress made on both for this one project.

Brilliant mate.A real petrolhead who's not afraid to try anything :thumbsup: .I don't know how you find the time to do all this KP but keep up the good work buddy :)

I have the time because I do nowt else with myself :lol: however tomorrow I am off to a couple of garages to see if I can get a job.... gonna have a lot less time when that happenes. :(

Oh well, I have this month to sort it all out and at least get the Honda gone and the GTi back home :)