Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St205 Squeaks

skippa

I have a 96 ST205 and last week it developed a "squeak" from the front off side suspension.

Upon investigation, it appears the noise is coming from the top of the strut. However, there are no signs of oil leaks from the shock and it also feels firm enough when car is depressed.

Any ideas peeps? :wacko:

Also another irritating thing showed up today, when I boot the car, the handbrake warning light appears for a few seconds, then disappears. Again, any ideas? :help:

One more thing, should the ignition barrel illuminate when the door is opened {as it does on an ST162}?

If so, mine doesn`t. Also the only switch that illuminates on the driver door is the driver window switch, again is this correct?

TIA B)

I have a 96 ST205 and last week it developed a "squeak" from the front off side suspension.

Upon investigation, it appears the noise is coming from the top of the strut. However, there are no signs of oil leaks from the shock and it also feels firm enough when car is depressed.

Any ideas peeps? :wacko:

Also another irritating thing showed up today, when I boot the car, the handbrake warning light appears for a few seconds, then disappears. Again, any ideas? :help:

One more thing, should the ignition barrel illuminate when the door is opened {as it does on an ST162}?

If so, mine doesn`t. Also the only switch that illuminates on the driver door is the driver window switch, again is this correct?

TIA B)

Possibly squeaky topmount but more likely the beginnings of failure of the lower arm figure 8 assembly. :unsure:

My ignition barrel doesnt illuminate (1996 UK ST205)

Also have the same lights on the window switches as yourself. :)

Check that your brake fluid is not low, cause when you boot it, it probably is swishing around and triggering the brake warning light which i believe is the same as the handbrake light!!!

Ollie

• 3 weeks later...

My '95 WRC has just developed the exact same squeak from the offside front suspension. Have you found anything out about the cause of yours yet? :blink:

The ignition barrell on my motor does illuminate (and makes an annoying beeping sound when the key is in and the ignition off!), but I too only have the drivers window switch illuminated.

Comments much appreciated. :yes:

Yes pdodds,

I know exactly where the squeak on mine is / was coming from.

If you look at the bottom of the hub, there is an arm that bolts to it. The other end bolts under the chasis. In the middle, there is another stubby assembly that bolts onto the strut.

This is basically 2 tapered bolts. One through lower arm and the other goes through the strut bracket.

It is this that was squeaking. As a quick fix, I undone the strut and sprayed WD40 around the tapered pin that goes through the strut side.

I did it 3 weeks ago and it is still OK. It will eventually need replacing though as soon as I can find a supplier.

Have a look at this link and you can see the set up I am on about in detail.

http://www.pbase.com/image/21643123

HTH mate,

B)