Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mp3 Player Aux Connection

aygoplatinumoct09

I recently bought a Sony MP3 player, i connected it via the aux and it did not come through the Speakers. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Al

I recently bought a Sony MP3 player, i connected it via the aux and it did not come through the speakers. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Al

Did you select "AUX" ?

Ian.

Just had the same thing with an iPhone a couple of days ago, the first time I've connected to the AUX. Yes, I did select Aux - but in my case there was no sound until the volume on the radio was way up, about 30 before anything happened.

It was set too low at the iPhone end is all.

Just had the same thing with an iPhone a couple of days ago, the first time I've connected to the AUX. Yes, I did select Aux - but in my case there was no sound until the volume on the radio was way up, about 30 before anything happened.

It was set too low at the iPhone end is all.

so it works okay now ? and u can turn it up loud ?

Same thing with the Blackberry: the volume has to be set to max on the Blackberry and the volume needs to be significantly above 30...

Pretty impractical when I unplug the BB: the car switches to FM and blasts...

It's a common problem with Aux-in sockets in all cars. You have to turn the volume right up on your MP3 device or iPhone. Make sure you've got the stereo set to 'Aux'.

On an iPhone or iPod (except the iPod shuffle) it's advisable to use a Line-Out cable on the Dock Connector.

The signal available there is independant of the volume-setting and is much "cleaner" as it has passed less internal parts

(like the headphone-amplifier). The impedance of that output is also more compatible with that of the radio's input...

As for the Sony, I seem to remember that on some of them you can select whether it

outpus headphone- or Line-level. The latter would be preferable in this application...

I have an older Sony mp3 player and it has selectable outputs. You need to switch from "Headphone" to "Line out". On Apple products this is achieved by using a docking port to 3.5mm cable and not the headphone output.

I have an older Sony mp3 player and it has selectable outputs. You need to switch from "Headphone" to "Line out". On Apple products this is achieved by using a docking port to 3.5mm cable and not the headphone output.

this mp3 player is sony but the new a series. i will look to see if there is option to change output. what about 3.5mm to 3.5mm, will this work ok without having to turn up the volume to a high level ?

My Sony uses a 3.5-3.5mm as it only has the headphones socket, but the player must be changed from headphones to lineout to get it to work correctly.

The outputs on most devices are not high enough.

You need to turn the volume right up on the source device and its still not high enough You end up with the car radio on very high too,

often get poor sound quality

This can be resolved with a simple little amplifier that runs from one 1.5v Battery.

I ordered a couple of these when I saw a friend had one.

I got a white one a week ago, the black one I'm still waiting for.

you can probably find them else where too, but for example I got here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14823

obviously start with the volume very low on the source device , you should be able to match perfect with the radio / cd.

P.S as have changed head unit and dont use ipod in car anyway havent tested with the headphone amp with standaard Aygo head unit but have used on other equiptment.

Just to complete the loop on this, I'm using an iPhone 3GS, and now have it with a straight 3.5 to 3.5 jack from the headphone socket, the volume on the iPhone at about two thirds and the car radio set to between 25 and 30. That works just fine with no distortion, nor it is too loud if you flip to another source.

Incidentally I'm using the NDrive satnav app on the phone (and running the sound through the car speakers) which is absolutely cracking and costs (at the minute) a huge £5 for the version with UK maps, complete with speed cameras and lots of other goodies. No connection with them, just really impressed with what you get for a fiver.

Just to complete the loop on this, I'm using an iPhone 3GS, and now have it with a straight 3.5 to 3.5 jack from the headphone socket, the volume on the iPhone at about two thirds and the car radio set to between 25 and 30. That works just fine with no distortion, nor it is too loud if you flip to another source.

Incidentally I'm using the NDrive satnav app on the phone (and running the sound through the car speakers) which is absolutely cracking and costs (at the minute) a huge £5 for the version with UK maps, complete with speed cameras and lots of other goodies. No connection with them, just really impressed with what you get for a fiver.

:o £5! I payed £9.99 about two months ago! Mind you, still cheap compared with the excessive TomTom for iPhone asking prices. I'm very impressed with NDrive too - it sometimes takes me funny routes, and when I know part of the way I just ignore it, and it re-routes! Very clever piece of kit. I'm just thinking of what holder to get for it now, quite liking the look of this one... http://www.firebox.com/product/2629/Satellite-Navigation-Mat

> I'm just thinking of what holder to get for it now, quite liking the look of this one... http://www.firebox.com/product/2629/Satellite-Navigation-Mat

Looks smart. I bought this one from Maplin, which is a few pounds cheaper but seems to do the job.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=383782

Odd thing I notice:

Have 2 ipods, an original 2Gb ipod Nano and a later square shaperd 8Gb Nano.

The original long white nanos produce a more powerful output and are fine on my JVC after market HU.

The later NANO i get a much weeker output which needs amplified?

Could it be how I coppied data to the nanos ? or are the mk1 nanos just better in this respect?

If you're using the headphone output the answer is Yes: the 3rd generation nano (the "fat" model) supposedly has a

different audio-chip than the 1st and 2nd generation do. So it might very well be that you've got different output from that.

The output is also deemed more "hissy" than the earlier models by the "experts".

As for the copying of the data; did you do anything else than select the songs you wanted on the iPod in iTunes and then sync?

In the newer versions of iTunes there's an option to scale down the bitrate to 128k, so you can fit more music on your iPod.

This MIGHT be influencin the volume of the audio, but in essence it shouldn't really...

I think you found the reason.

I have a connector to the back of my HU LINE-IN which I wired through to just under the Cigar lighter/powersource.

Prefer this to a wire into the front like on the standard HU.

But which ever HU you have and LLINE-IN or AUX-IN seems with original IPODs there is no issue with volume.

Set to max and its perfect for LINE-IN AUX-IN

MK3 IPOD complete oposit, really poor in this respect. Even with the mini headphone amp I have its only just acceptable by my standards.

WHatever I dont really use ipods in car much so it took me a while to notice.

Im really going off them. I wont be buying another. Realize how stupid I was to convert all my music files to m4a format a couple of years ago.

Now converting them back or getting the old CDs out and making high bit rate DVD and CD mp3 compilations.

Why did you convert to m4a? iPods play MP3's without ANY problems...

Currently 60% of my library is MP3, everything I buy new or rip again goes into AAC.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links