Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Fluid

Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

I rang up Toyota and asked them how much brake fluid I will need when changing the existing brake fluid in my car. It was either that we were unable to understand one another or that none of them seemed to know exactly. All I was told was that “you fill it up between the minimum and full mark”

YES I KNOW THAT!

How much will I need to renew the brake fluid in my car? One litre, two three, six?!

The service manual and Haynes are great at telling you everything else but they don’t tell you how much brake fluid you will need!

When i changed the fluid in my Yaris Tsport and fitted braided lines, envy performance recommended 3-4 bottles of motul 5.1 fluid for a complete change. They were 500ml each. so say 2 litres. (that was for a Tsport though, that has rear brake lines).

Hope that roughly helps.

All Yaris'have rear brake lines, just not rear discs! Also, Braided hoses usually have the same size outer diameter but a smaller internal one, making the brakes more responsive. You will get less swelling of the hoses, so more pressure goes to the pads.

I would recommend using smaller quantity bottles, as mentioned, rather than trying to save money getting a large one as when you have filled, any left over UNOPENED bottles, can be kept. OPENED ones will become useless in time as it will "Suck IN" moisture from the atmosphere and then boil quicker if you use it, causing brake "Fade"! Not good!

Try to let the contents of the bottles settle and any air bubbles disperse, before use, to make it easier to bleed the system.

BTW, My local Toyota dealer was offering a free brake fluid change (Which I took up) as a sweetner to get me back in for servicing (Which I still haven't) So it may be worth asking for a discount, prior to uhdertaking the work, unless you relish the challenge! :yahoo:

Thanks Guys,

I'm ordering some Motul RBF 600 brake fluid and have a mobile mechanic coming round next Wednesday to service my car for £100! He used to work at a Mercedes dealership. What a deal!

Just need to order some coolant from Toyota and some bits and bobs for the gearbox.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys,

I'm ordering some Motul RBF 600 brake fluid and have a mobile mechanic coming round next Wednesday to service my car for £100! He used to work at a Mercedes dealership. What a deal!

Just need to order some coolant from Toyota and some bits and bobs for the gearbox.

How did the servicing work go on wednesday and did you get the MIL fault repaired and if so what was it? Does it now run like a dream? So many questions! :blink: