Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exotic Frogs Reared In Redbush Tea In Gloucestershire

Raistlin

_48009137_1275639147_216-1.jpg

Eleven poison dart frogs have been raised by UK experts in pint glasses of redbush tea.

Amphibian keepers at the Slimbridge Wetland Centre, Gloucestershire, reared the amphibians from tadpoles in the brew to help keep them disease-free.

The caffeine-free African tea contains fungus-beating antioxidants, according to amphibian keeper Jay Redmond.

Mr Redmond said: "Every morning just before I made my cup of tea I made sure the tadpoles have had theirs too!"

The yellow-banded and green-banded poison dart frog tadpoles were raised in pint glasses, topped up with the shop-bought redbush tea, which is sometimes called rooibos.

Some species of poison dart frogs, native to South America and among the most toxic on earth, are critically endangered.

A combination of deforestation, introduced species and a fungus which kills amphibians has damaged population numbers.

Mr Redmond added: "It is a bit of advice that people know in the industry that to keep them disease-free they should swim in redbush tea for the first few weeks of life."

I am surprised to find something other than South Africans that enjoy Red Bush (Rooibos) tea :huh:

We have a few South African's in my office and I have tasted this tea.... it is disgusting slop :sick::yucky:

That's a really interesting story. I happen to love redbush tea, I seem to be part of a minority though :D

I've not yet tried redbush tea. What does it taste like?

In South Africa it is common to drink rooibos tea without milk, but instead with a slice of lemon and sugar or honey to sweeten. The flavour of rooibos tea is often described as being naturally sweet (without sugar added) and slightly nutty. Rooibos can be prepared in the same manner as black tea, and this is the most common method.

Several coffee shops in South Africa have recently begun to sell "red espresso", which is concentrated rooibos served and presented in the style of ordinary espresso. This has given rise to rooibos-based variations of coffee drinks such as red lattes and red cappuccinos. Iced tea made from rooibos has recently been introduced in South Africa, Australia, and in the United States.

drool.gifsick.gifno.gif