Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service Plan

Snarf999

I've read a number of topics about having a service plan, but still can't figure out if it's a good deal or not. I think in my case it may not be. Dealer is asking for £407.52 for 2 years (minor then major) or £612.84 (minor, major, minor). Given that I've just had a major service (it was actually due a minor service but apparently when I booked it online they think I may have selected 20,000 rather than 10,000 mile service, I can't remember but surely it's their job to check with me and the service book?) that cost £280 and a minor one is around £140, these quotes seem expensive.

Another thing I see in the speil about the service plan is that it covers the vehicle for "All the services and maintenance work which is noted in your 'Included Services' section". Looking at this section it says it covers labour and then under items included are "Engine Oil, Oil Filter" for 50000 mile and "Enginer Oil, Oil Filter, Brake Fluid" for 60000 mile. I assume that this means none of the other things (air filter, spark plugs, washer fluid etc) aren't included? Or at least this could be assumed? If not then it would make the service plan a rip off as those items on my major service add up to £75 (exc VAT).

Anyone used the service plan and experienced anything different? Is this a common Toyota centralised thing or are the deals dealer specific?

My local dealership offer a service plan tailored to your requirements, in other words 2 year, or 3 or 4 or more.

They tried to get me to sign up and suggested that I pay by direct debit. If I paid this way they would give an automatic 20% discount on their prices. I declined as I got them to reduce, by a little more than 20%, their price on my car's first year service as I played them off against my other nearest dealer.

I will keep my money and if inclined I may set a monthly sum aside in a savings account and earn my own interest rather than give this away.

Service plans, they are not for me :huh:

I was offered a 3 year service plan on my one year old purchase for £750 last year. As Mr T wasn't later able to fix a small problem with the engine (rough running when cold) I will be inclined to take my Avensis to my local garage when its next service is due. I will,of course, buy Toyota genuine parts and ensure the service history book is stamped. :drool:

I've read a number of topics about having a service plan, but still can't figure out if it's a good deal or not. I think in my case it may not be. Dealer is asking for £407.52 for 2 years (minor then major) or £612.84 (minor, major, minor). Given that I've just had a major service (it was actually due a minor service but apparently when I booked it online they think I may have selected 20,000 rather than 10,000 mile service, I can't remember but surely it's their job to check with me and the service book?) that cost £280 and a minor one is around £140, these quotes seem expensive.

Another thing I see in the speil about the service plan is that it covers the vehicle for "All the services and maintenance work which is noted in your 'Included Services' section". Looking at this section it says it covers labour and then under items included are "Engine Oil, Oil Filter" for 50000 mile and "Enginer Oil, Oil Filter, Brake Fluid" for 60000 mile. I assume that this means none of the other things (air filter, spark plugs, washer fluid etc) aren't included? Or at least this could be assumed? If not then it would make the service plan a rip off as those items on my major service add up to £75 (exc VAT).

Anyone used the service plan and experienced anything different? Is this a common Toyota centralised thing or are the deals dealer specific?

So the opinion is that they're not really worth it? I have a feeling that if we did take it, that they'd find something not covered in the plan (if that's the case) and charge us for it.

Or is that just me being cynical? ;)

So the opinion is that they're not really worth it? I have a feeling that if we did take it, that they'd find something not covered in the plan (if that's the case) and charge us for it.

Or is that just me being cynical? ;)

I have done this, and still using it. The service plan cover the manufacturer service - oil, filters etc. You do pay for other things, such as cabin filter if needed, Wiper Blades etc. (you do not have to do the extras). according to my calculation, it saves about 20% at point of purchase - ie if service price goes up, you do not pay the addition. also, you get 10% off the additional parts. You have to consider though if it is good for you. I am doing a roughly known amount of milage (a lot!) and I know roughly how many services I will need, but I know of people who have done this and they are not sure they will use it all as they are doing low milage, and in-consistant. also you get a free replacement car (which is a consideration for me).

Take into account also that their hourly rate is somewhat more expensive then the avarage garage, so the same service in a non-Toyota garage may be cheaper.

You have to consider all this and decide. I suggest to go to the garage and ask then what is included, do your sums and decide. I am using it because it is convinient for me, I am not sure it is good for everyone (eg, I have not done this on my wife's car, as it is doing low milage and some years more then others - I also not servicing my wife's car with them I use a good independent garage.

Hope this helps you - (if you have any more questions I will be happy to help - I am NOT a Toyota emplyee... I just pay their salaries... :(

Best Regards

TwoT

The service plans cover all the standard parts required for your service, as above, anything OUTSIDE the scheduled service is NOT included, so if your service includes an air filter, then you get an air filter, if it needs a wiper blade, then it does NOT cover that.

There are a few ways to look at it:

1: You can afford the servicing, and negotiate a price at time of booking and pay the current price

2: You need to budget in advance, so take out a monthly plan, pay a fixed amount over a fixed term, prices never go up and you know where you are with payments. They are interest free payments and at todays prices

3: You are disciplined enough to put away the money required in an account and use that money to pay for maintenance

With five years warranty from 1st June, it would be possible to take out a plan and fix your costs at 0% you will never have to worry about missing a service and losing your warranty

Kingo :thumbsup:

i got my 2004 avensis in 2005, and i took out a 2 yr plan, interest free, and found it vey good. all service items were covered, extras like tyres, pads, blades etc were not. i personally found it cost effective, and it worked out cheaper than paying for a service one at a time. if anything wsa highlighted at the service as needed doing, like pads etc, i would have the work done elsewhere using genuine parts - a considerable overall saving!

i then took out another 2 year plan, again cheaper than the cost of a service one at a time, but now the car is a fair way past its warranty period, i have found it more cost effective to buy the genuine parts (courtesy of parts king - hes very good, well worth using for parts) and then take it to a local independent garage for the work to be done, and save myself a fair bit of money on the hourly rate.

like others have said, sit down and do the maths for your useage, mileage per year and so on. see if it works for you.

good luck

I've costed it up and it certainly doesn't seem to pay for a 3 year fixed cost, but possibly a 2 year. Although with my issues with the servicing (the garage have admitted it was their mistake doing a 4th year service instead of a 5th year one) the quotes for the service plan would need to change! I think considering the car is low mileage anyway (7k miles a year, but will probably drop as we're buying a diesel runaround), I'm not really sure if this one makes sense.

Thanks for the input anyway!

My garage has tried selling me a service plan numerous times. I do 18k/year and my current mileage is 92k

however I always haggle over price and usually get a reasonably big discount over the standard price. hence add up the prices I'm paying and its well less than a service plan.

eg small service £90, big service £150 although I usually add an air filter to the big service which costs about £20 which makes it a bigger service. I use Mr T cos I'm very happy with the price and service.

So what's the deal with haggling the price on a service? I have a bad enough time doing it when buying a car! Do you get them to quote an up front price then argue them down? No worries about them adding on "extra work" or not necessarily taking the best care?