Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top Speed

dave53rav4

hi could anybody help me ive just got a rav4 d-d4 5 door 53 plate it will only go to 85 mph on a privte road All the reviews says it has a top speed of 106 mph is this true thanks new member .

hi could anybody help me ive just got a rav4 d-d4 53 plate it will only go to 85 mph . All the reviews says it has a top speed of 106 mph is this true thanks new member .

Welcome to the club Dave :thumbsup:

You may wish to add a little edit to your post saying that you do the above speeds on a private road...

The moderators don't take kindly to posts advertising speeding on public roads ;)

Out of interest, what revs are shown and what gear are you in at 85mph?

welcome to the forum RAV53....dave

I'm not sure what sort of speed the diesel should do but I'd have thought it would be a touch more than that.

I get annoyed if my RAVs won't go past 100mph - they do but just not quick enough. So I suppose all things are relative. When we bought our first RAV 3 door way back in 1994, it was a lightweight sporty car with amazing roadholding.

However I'm not so confident in the more recent 5 door versions. Have you checked what mpg you are getting as it might help some of the oily handed owners here to help.

Driving on unrestricted autobahn, I can get 120mph on an unfettered 03 plate 5 door... :rolleyes:

Driving on unrestricted autobahn, I can get 120mph on an unfettered 03 plate 5 door... :rolleyes:

is that for an oily burner?? :eek:

Yes its a oil burner

hi could anybody help me ive just got a rav4 d-d4 53 plate it will only go to 85 mph . All the reviews says it has a top speed of 106 mph is this true thanks new member .

Welcome to the club Dave :thumbsup:

You may wish to add a little edit to your post saying that you do the above speeds on a private road...

The moderators don't take kindly to posts advertising speeding on public roads ;)

Out of interest, what revs are shown and what gear are you in at 85mph?

Hi dont no revs but i was in fifth

Yes its a oil burner

Not me - it's a petrol :yes: gets a bit of a wobble about 105, then seems to 'squat' and on up to the max. Gets me there... :D

Well on Manchester Airports runway one quiet night...

pinnochio.gif

My chipped 4.3 oil burner did 124mph on the speedo, 119 on my sat nav + 118 on my Scangauge :thumbsup: Stew (these figs are true) :yes:

pinnochio.gif

HA! HA! :D Fair enough, depends how accurate the speedo is...which brings an interesting question:

Is the original query a problem with the car or the speedo? And how accurate actually is the speedo? I know at 30mph mine is actually doing 28mph, anyone know how/if this can vary over the speed range?

Well probably most (if not all) world-wide regulations are such that it should never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed.

This is true for the UK. Plus, for UK, between 25mph and 70mph it should not show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. i.e. acutal 85mph can be indicated as high as 100mph (99.75), but shouldn't be indicated lower than 85mph.

I can't really see a non-faulty speed signal or (probably what is) a PWM driving the needle varying that much over the speed range, from their initial tolerance, but anything's possible.

I know its a bit basic,but that's me and the way I work,could the OP's problem be something simple like the mat under the pedal,or if it has one, too much slack in the throttle cable.

pinnochio.gif

HA! HA! :D Fair enough, depends how accurate the speedo is...which brings an interesting question:

Is the original query a problem with the car or the speedo? And how accurate actually is the speedo? I know at 30mph mine is actually doing 28mph, anyone know how/if this can vary over the speed range?

I would guess that my satnav speed is most accurate, Ive passed one of those you are doing 38 mph things + my satnav was spot on whereas my speedo was showing 41mph the difference seems to grow as you go faster but only slightly.80 on speedo 77 on sat nav.. 100 on speedo 96 on satnav + as i say 124 on speedo 119 on sat nav..Do not try this at home kids I am a proffesional I have done a speeding awareness course :lol::lol::thumbsup: Stew