Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When Should I Get The Car Serviced?

flyfs6

3 members have voted

1. 1. Service now?

• Yes
    • No, not yet. Wait until 20k or 2 years

Hi All. Our 1.3 Yaris SR was new in December 08 and it had its first 10k Toyota service in June 09. It will be a year this month since it was last serviced at Toyota and has now done 16k miles. Since the service I have myself already changed the oil/filter once.

Should I get the second Toyota service now or wait until 20k/2nd anniversary (whichever is sooner)? Is it supposed to serviced every 1 year after last service? :blink:

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

If you don't get it serviced in accordance with the manufacturers schedule, the warranty is void.

At the very least you want to get the second service done at 12 months (or 10000 miles max) since the last service to comply with the warranty conditions.

So to continue the warranty, you do need to get it serviced 12 months after the last service, even if that is a low mileage.

(But - Toyota do allow you a month's leeway on the warranty conditions, so you could push it back to July).

I'm in exactly the same boat. We bought one of our SRs at 7 months old and the dealer did the first service then, so now we're faced with the second service being due 1 year after that, even though the car's done only another 7000 miles.

I rang my dealer and asked him how much I could "push the date" without impacting the warranty. He said that given the low mileage he was happy to push it a month back to July and he confirmed that would be OK.

The bottom line is its a "12 month max" service interval, but there is a small tolerence...

Once its out of warranty, then its purely down to your personal choice. It should still be annually, but its then purely down to you....

Just out of interest, the first was a "dealer service" so you know it was done to Toyota standards and you were always going to have to get a second "proper" service to maintain the warranty, why did you do a separate oil and filter change yourself after such a short time?

Just interested....

As soon as ours are out of warranty, then I'll go over to servicing them myself, but as the first and second services need doing at a garage to maintain the warranty, just wondering what drove you to change the oil in between them after such a short time and low mileage?

I'm wondering why myself...

My rule of thumb is that a car needs to be serviced every 10,000 miles or roughly the same time it was serviced the previous year. Whichever comes sooner.

My car is ten years old this year so I'm having the engine & gear box oil, coolant, spark plugs, brake fluid changed. Labour is only going to cost £100 :D

I change the oil on both our cars twice a year, that's every 3 or 4 thousand miles using full synthetic oil, the oil at this stage has started to darken in colour, I know that there's still plenty of life left in the oil but I prefer to change it regardless. I am not suggesting everyone does the same, but knowing the internals of the engine are as clean as they can be gives me a sense of pride.

As for changing the oil soon after the main dealer service it's something I've done for a while now as I'm not a big fan of semi synthetic oils. I usually change it a day or two after, and only use the main dealer for servicing the first two years after which I maintain the vehicles myself.

Hi All. Our 1.3 Yaris SR was new in December 08 and it had its first 10k Toyota service in June 09. It will be a year this month since it was last serviced at Toyota and has now done 16k miles. Since the service I have myself already changed the oil/filter once.

Should I get the second Toyota service now or wait until 20k/2nd anniversary (whichever is sooner)? Is it supposed to serviced every 1 year after last service? :blink:

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

The second service is a major service so I wouldn’t skip it.

The first is an intermediate. If you want to skip a service, skip the intermediate but not the major. Ideally don’t skip any :thumbsup:

Thanks for your posts.

I changed the oil/filter early just because I had spare unused oil and don't believe in long service intervals, so thought might as well. I'm not considering skipping services, was just wondering when it is due according to Toyota.

The dealer sent me an email reminder in April sayinga service is due (go figure), I did call them back and they said it wasn't due then (I knew that).

Anyway since its going to Mr T for some warranty work tomorrow, I will request them to service it too and if they can't I will have to rebook for later in the month.

Lets face it - on both the intermediate and full services, the only things that get changed are the oil & oil filter. All the rest of the items are "inspection only".

All the other items (plugs, air filter, etc) are based on longer term specific intervals and aren't covered in the standard (full or intermediate) service schedules.

It looks like Toyota have a "common sense" approach to warranty and that's borne out by my conversations with a service mgr who said there was no issue "pushing" the 12 months because the car had only done 7000 miles. If it had done nearer the 10000 limit or gone over it, then he'd have said to definately get it done sooner than later...

Got the car serviced when they were doing warranty work. I think I will change the air and cabin filters myself soon anyway.

Air and cabin filters are the easiest thing to do on a Yaris!

Spark plugs are a doddle aswell, 10min job! :thumbsup:

I might do the spark plugs and change the oil next time myself. Seems relatively easy!