Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Failed To Start?

Islandman

Hi folks....have RAV 4 DT-D 2004. The other day tried to start it....all symtoms of a flat Battery. Mate gave a jump start, drove to a toyota dealer who were very helpful. Did a test on the Battery 100%...checked terminals & water 100%. They could not help any further only to suggest a check-up when in for next service. Don't want to leave the missus high and dry one night....any thoughts?

Hi folks....have RAV 4 DT-D 2004. The other day tried to start it....all symtoms of a flat battery. Mate gave a jump start, drove to a toyota dealer who were very helpful. Did a test on the battery 100%...checked terminals & water 100%. They could not help any further only to suggest a check-up when in for next service. Don't want to leave the missus high and dry one night....any thoughts?

Hi Islandman

I have had very similar before. Mine has served 3.5 years since new. The sympthoms were -- sometimes starts and sometimes not especially when it must to start, let say after have refilled tank. The charging indicator was green as should be confirming density is in order. I ve visited mrT dealership and they ve found an issue with (+) terminal link with Pb package inside. If the same is in yrs then the only cure is to change the Battery. Once chnaged - I ve forgotten that since early spring :). But all was as you stated both voltage and level inside. Just evaluate how long does it serve to you and adopt decision what to do. Good Luck/Igor

Its not uncommon. As Igor says, time for a new Battery. After a relatively short run they show all the signs of being OK but it will get worse and worse. It really is better tested when it won't start as well as charged. You could also try a current discharge test when the Battery is disconnected.

Hi folks....have RAV 4 DT-D 2004. The other day tried to start it....all symtoms of a flat battery. Mate gave a jump start, drove to a toyota dealer who were very helpful. Did a test on the battery 100%...checked terminals & water 100%. They could not help any further only to suggest a check-up when in for next service. Don't want to leave the missus high and dry one night....any thoughts?

I see you do not say if it is the original Battery.

Did the dealer check the charging rate?

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: Maplins are doing a promotion on solar chargers. I bought one from eBay recently to trickle charge my T180's Battery. A 12V/ 4W solar briefcase - cost me £24 but Maplin's are doing it for £15: 12V/ 4W Solar Briefcase at Maplins :angry:

Some points worth noting about these:

1. Comes with cig lighter adapter, but my RAV's cig lighter isn't "live" when the RAV is powered off so can't charge this way.

2. Comes with croc clips cable, which works fine, but length of cable is too short (1.2m) to connect from Battery located way up front in the engine bay to solar panel inside the car. So panel is now positioned outside the car beside windscreen wipers. But panels aren't waterproof. I've seen some sites recommend silicon sealant to proof the casing though.

3. But for security and bad weather, you will probably need to get or make a longer croc clip cable to allow the charger to be kept inside the car.

If I were leaving my car for long periods I would have one of these. They come with a quick release plug but you can have an under dash mount. You can leave it connected almost indefinitely and it will automatically cycle the Battery (charge and discharge) to keep it healthy. They are dead safe and will even allow you to connect it the wrong way around without damage!

http://www.ctek.com/EN-GB/consumer/mxs-3600.aspx