Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking About An Avensis

markquinton

Hi all

I currently own a mondeo tdci 130 and it's begining to frighten me. I believe my dual mass flywheel is on it's way out which is a bill of approximately £800, add that to possible injector failure that all tdci's seem to have eventually the car continually scares me that it's going to empty my wallet, and considering it's only worth £2500 I don't like spending lots on it.

Therefore I'm considering returning to my roots (Jap cars, always had them) and geting an Avensis (03 onwards). Question is which one do I get? I was thinking about going back to a 2.0 vvt-i petrol as it doesn't have such large repair bills but then I may miss the mpg of the diesel. How prone to problems are the d4d avensis' in comparison to the 2.0 vvt-i? Also what mpg does the 2.0 achieve in the real world?

Should I completey discount the 1.8 vvt-i due to the oil burning issue?

Can anyone give me any opinions what it's like coming from a Mk3 mondeo to an avensis?

Thanks alot

Mark

ive never owned a mondeo but if you do want to go for an avensis go for the 2.0 d4d .. they are the best models from 03 onwards ,,, stay completly away from the 2.2 d4d and all the vvtis,,,, the best avensiss are pre d4d lol but youre talking about from 01 downwards! lol

as a 1.8 petrol driver (2004 model) i can say mine has been fab. not oil loss so far (touch wood!!) and the autobox gets a rather respectable return on mpg, but has the ability to shake things up when you want to put yr foot down.

dont forget not ALL vvtis had the oil problem! no reason why you cant get a post 2004 model to be sure.

having said that, if toyota did an auto diesel, i would have bought that instead :)

Hi Mark,

I second what Mike has to say above.I also have a 05 1.8 auto,now done 33,000 and doesn't use any oil(so far,touch wood!).I don't know what the manuals are like but the auto seems to be very well matched to the engine.It will not burn rubber at the lights!,but is a very smooth relaxed drive and reasonable fuel economy I think.

Cheers....Phil.

Hi Mark

I used to own the 2.litre Auto and the best i ever got was 38 on a run and the high twenties in town , if I was you I would stick to the 1.8 much nicer engine to my mind.

Maybe the oil problem on the 1.8 isn't as bad as I first thought. Not many strong recommendations for the 2.0 vvt-i which suprises me as it's the petrol one that suffers the least problems as far as I remember.

2006 2.0 vvt-i auto. Well into the 35 mpg on long run. But, around town being careful is around 25 mpg. Smooth as silk.

I have a 2.2 D4D T180 and get 46MPG on a good drive, around town its about 43MPG. Its done 25k so far and its running ok, only had it 3 months and everything seems good so far! First MOT soon so we'll see then! :-s

Hi,

I've had an 05 plate 1.8vvti manual since last Feb and have done about 14k in it so far. Mine doesn't use a single drop of oil. As previous posts have said I think the problem was cured around 03 or 04.

My daily commute consists of 10 miles of A roads then 10 miles of motorway each way. My fuel economy is never below 40, and is usually 46 or so mpg (confirmed by the computer and by old fashioned counting litres per miles travelled). I can get 52 but it's a bit of a boring drive. Realistically it'll depend how you drive but if you can live with 35mpg around town and 40mpg on a run then buy one - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I agree with the previous posts that it's not a fast car but it sits up and takes notice if you drive with the revs up. It's a soft ride but on the other hand it cushions the bumps well, and it's pretty quiet. Also, as you said, the petrols don't seem to have such hefty repair bills, and they're cheaper to buy. Mine currently has about 70k on it and during my ownership, not counting it's engine service, I've had to buy it one tail light bulb and a rear window wiper blade - it's money out all the time eh lol.

Go test drive one - you might be pleasantly surprised - and you'll love how quick the heater works in winter compared to your diesel mondy.

I second that about the heater too!! Nice n quick.

Also, thinking of winter, my auto was superb in the snow as it has a "snow" button tucked behind the steering wheel. Sounds flash, but all it simply did was control the amount of revs the engine layed out on acceleration, so you could bury yr right foot and it would only ever allow limited revs to the front wheels to avoid the wheels spinning. Dont get me wrong it wasnt going to get me out of a tight spot like traction control, but it was a halfway measure, !Removed! useful last winter - never got stuck or spun wheels like alot of my neighbours did each morning.

Also, my auto on a motorway would be touching 40 or more if i played within the law, and high 20's around town.

Get out there, and take a variety for a drive, sure you will enjoy!

Mike

Hi Mark,

I am driving d4d 2L 04reg. My daily driving is about 35miles and computer showing about 46-49mpg, the best you can get when you go on the motorway then mpg goes up around 55. All depends how you drive, what roads etc. but comparing with petrol car i had before, and was doing the same mileage i am saving £50 on fuel. if you planning to do less than 12k miles a year, go for petrol. With diesel you got egr valve blocking, turbo and loads of other stuff which might be costly later on. So have good think about and take wise decision. Good luck.

Darius

Hi

I have a 55 plated 2.2 D4D T-spirit estate. Great car. Around 39-55 depending on how me and the wife drives it. Probably a little noisy (road noise) though compared to the plush VW etc, but my friends who do have Passats seem to have major bills every year or so. Had mine almost 3 years now and just routine servicing at £200-250 (including MOT).