Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Annoying Problems If Anyone Is Kind Enough To Help Out...please?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys...i'm back with some more annoyances experienced recently...re my 2001 51 1.8vvti SR hatch manual

Firstly, i was getting that dreaded squeal form my drive belt/alternator belt mainly at low revs changing up...checked the belt...saw signs of small cracks...and replaced it myself(was such a simple job)...but its still squealing...does anyone know why? It's only at low revs when changing from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd and its not that loud but very annoying.

Secondly, i was getting a knocking sound from my left/passenger c.v...noticed the cv boot cover had come loose...so i greased it and secured it with a simple cable tie...and its fine...the opposite/drivers side boot is still attatched and seems fine...but im getting a slight knocking sound which sounds as if its coming from the middle some where between right and left c.v's...any advice guys? Its mainly when turning right i think.

Finally, iv'e got this horrible droning sound coming from under the bonnet(i hear it on a lot of toyotas so may be common)but where is it coming from? Its always again at low revs from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd...especially when im in 3rd and too lazy to change down to 2nd and put on more revs! If its something like a leak at the throttle housing or manifold...is it easy to do a quick fix? Please help.

Thanks in advance...this forum is a life saver!

Hi Guys...i'm back with some more annoyances experienced recently...re my 2001 51 1.8vvti SR hatch manual

Firstly, i was getting that dreaded squeal form my drive belt/alternator belt mainly at low revs changing up...checked the belt...saw signs of small cracks...and replaced it myself(was such a simple job)...but its still squealing...does anyone know why? It's only at low revs when changing from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd and its not that loud but very annoying.

Secondly, i was getting a knocking sound from my left/passenger c.v...noticed the cv boot cover had come loose...so i greased it and secured it with a simple cable tie...and its fine...the opposite/drivers side boot is still attatched and seems fine...but im getting a slight knocking sound which sounds as if its coming from the middle some where between right and left c.v's...any advice guys? Its mainly when turning right i think.

Finally, iv'e got this horrible droning sound coming from under the bonnet(i hear it on a lot of toyotas so may be common)but where is it coming from? Its always again at low revs from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd...especially when im in 3rd and too lazy to change down to 2nd and put on more revs! If its something like a leak at the throttle housing or manifold...is it easy to do a quick fix? Please help.

Hi,

I have just had my air-conditioning compressor replaced. It was causing terrible noise from under the bonnet and initially I was thinking that it were the injectors failing. It turned out to be the compressor but in fiscal terms it really was expensive.

I hope yours is due to something cheaper :) but more knowledgeable Toyota forumers can direct you.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On the first question, check the tension of the belt. If not tensioned enough it may cause such noise.

On the last one (noise under the bonnet) its not enought to just say here what the problem could be. My advise is that you should open the bonnet when the car is running and check where it could be from. The diagnosis may be by elimination of possible issues. Let's know what you observe.

Hi Sam,

1. The pulleys may be worn and polished at high mileage and/or prolonged use with a worn and loose belt.

2. The CV joint may be worn.

3. Vibration from the plastic air filter box is a common problem causing the noise, make sure it's secure and try some draft proofing foam between the lid and the body.

Regards Pete.

On the first question, check the tension of the belt. If not tensioned enough it may cause such noise.

On the last one (noise under the bonnet) its not enought to just say here what the problem could be. My advise is that you should open the bonnet when the car is running and check where it could be from. The diagnosis may be by elimination of possible issues. Let's know what you observe.

Thanks mate...but if it is the case that its not tensioned enough...then how do i tension it more??? I only needed a 19 spanner to loosen the tension when removing/replacing the belt.

Also re the noise under the bonnet...it makes absolutley no sound with the bonnet open...you have to be driving the car and changing through the gears to hear it when you put your foot down. As others have kindly mentioned maybe its coming from the air filter box some place but it sounds more on my side/drivers side.

Please let me know what you think.

There should be an adjuster bolt near the alternator, slack the bolt holding the alternator and tighten the adjuster then tight back. Alternatively you may need a pry bar to tension and tighten if the adjuster screw is not there.

For the sound and as explained, if you press throttle slowly to gain speed and the noise is absent then it meand you'r demanding more air when you press hard. This then would be from the air filter and there is nothing you can do about it.

If you don't want the noise again then you'll change your driving habit. In any case use the right gear for the right speed and it'll also help your mpg.