Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dead Battery On D4D

vmssys

Just a quick story for you guys.

g/f went to start her 2.0 D4D one morning - clicking from the starter motor - in fact trying to turn engine then died. She quickly nicks my key and dissappears off to work leaving me to get the Battery charge out. I stick her Battery on fast charge and after an hour go out and fire the engine up first time. In meantime had checked all electrics and nothing had been left on to drain Battery. I ring Mr T and they quote me £95 for new battery. I ring two other garages and quoted £85 and £110.

A couple of hours later (battery still on charge) I go to take car to Mr T. This time totally dead. only clicking noise from starter motor. after a few seconds lights all go out and clock resets to 12:00

Strange. So when g/f gets back with my car I run jumper leads over and with my engine running I try firing up car. Still dead. I thought what the f%%%???

Reading the forums I convinced myself it was the solenoids. The next morning I got a couple of neighbours to push car off - no problem. Drove to Mr T. Parked up - turned off engine and then tried to start - click click click.

Well it was dead battery after all that. Completely screwed to the point were it would not accept help from another battery. Died overnight and never gave a hint of a problem.

Got my battery checked out at an independent garage and they said it was just starting to go. Not ready to be changed yet! But for the hassle I think I'll be changing the battery at the next service (100k) in 8k miles.

I will suggest you have your alternator checked to confirm if its charging. If ok, replace the Battery and will solve your problem once and for all.

I'm sure Mr T would have checked the alternator. You know what they are like for manufacturing extra work. If the alternator was the problem then starting with jump leads would have worked.

The Battery was changed 2 weeks ago now and we've not had any more related problems. The car/battery was 7 years old with about 69k miles.

Car lead acid batteries have a limited life span, depending on many factors.

In the end they all fail, most likely due to sulfation.

Sulfation can be avoided to some extent, by giving the Battery time to recharge completely after it has been discharged.

On short trips that's not always possible and sulfation starts and the process progresses over time, leading to a sudden death.

7 - 8 years is a nice average for a Battery though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links