Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Continued Loss Of Oil

andytheguv

Hi, can anyone advise me please.

I am new to this.

I have an Avensis 53 1.8 T3X. lovely drive and no trouble. One problem I do have is the loss of oil. It does not leak and no obvious oil marks on the drive or at work.

I use 5W/30 good Halfords oil in the engine as advised by the manual that came with the car.

I have a friend who has suggested to try 10W/50 as a thicker oil might last longer. He tells me that due to the synthetic makeup of the oil, the heat of the engine burns the content away quickly.

I do quite a lot of miles, about 15K a year mainly short journeys, 10 miles to work and then back, and more irregularly 100 mile trips to away weekends and to see friends.

Does anyone else have similar problems as a car of this class I do not believe should be have such loss of oil.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Andy

Hi, can anyone advise me please.

I am new to this.

I have an Avensis 53 1.8 T3X. lovely drive and no trouble. One problem I do have is the loss of oil. It does not leak and no obvious oil marks on the drive or at work.

I use 5W/30 good Halfords oil in the engine as advised by the manual that came with the car.

I have a friend who has suggested to try 10W/50 as a thicker oil might last longer. He tells me that due to the synthetic makeup of the oil, the heat of the engine burns the content away quickly.

I do quite a lot of miles, about 15K a year mainly short journeys, 10 miles to work and then back, and more irregularly 100 mile trips to away weekends and to see friends.

Does anyone else have similar problems as a car of this class I do not believe should be have such loss of oil.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Andy

hello mate

the cure is short motor change only to solve this issue.

yes 10w40 will last longer but the problem will still exist.

the initial issue giving sude outcome is wrong thermal calculation of the piston and each piston is overheated having no cooling.

As the result the oil is converted into a slags clogging skirts oil draiin holes + oil film is sucted into combustion chamber.

Cheers/Igor

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I am sorry and I don’t want to sound thick but I did not really make much sense of what you said.

When you say “short motor change”, what did you mean by that. Motor oil change?

Also what is “sude outcome” please?

Are you saying my pistons are not getting cooled and if so, what can I get done about it please?

Hear from you soon and thanks again.

Andy

Require more clarification. At what interval do you service your engine? When you start, check the exhaust emmission, is it blue? Does it smell? Ideally, service should be done at 5k interval.

sadly this is a known problem with some of the petrol 1.8 engines in the year range such as yours. but dont forget some oil consumption is to be expected, but increased levels such as yours sounds like you have a problem with the pistons in the short motor.

there are a number of posts on this topic already here on the forums, try a search on engine oil loss or something similar, and you will find a variety of other issues like yours on here.

basically, there are some affected engines, and it is a recognised problem by toyota, who will sort this out by changing the short motor. (not an oil change, its an actual part of the engine that causes this) the pistons are not quite right, causes the loss etc etc.... other topics will explain fully.

toyota put in place an extended warranty for this problem. i cannot recall exactly the period but i "think" it was 5 years, and you needed a full toyota service history aswell to qualify. again there are other topics that cover the details on this. i do suspect however that as yours is 2003, it will be outside the qaulify period.

Also i think "sude outcome" is meant to be said outcome!

good luck

mike

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I am sorry and I don’t want to sound thick but I did not really make much sense of what you said.

Are you saying my pistons are not getting cooled and if so, what can I get done about it please?

Andy

Hi,

Think he is saying that Oil Loss is a common problem and if the cause is, as he suspects, internal engine problems, then you will have to have a exchange engine fitted - a short engine is just the piston block and crankshaft assembly, so a lot cheaper than a 'full' engine

Just search this forum for the many similar posts detailing the symptoms/actions/Toyotas response.

Hi,

Just to add to all above,last time I checked Toyota warranty the engine for this problem for 7 years from registration or 112kmiles,whichever comes first,full service history required.

Cheers....Phil.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Andy

Hi Andy

Sorry for misprint

"sude outcome" -- was to be typed as such outcome

re short motor -- as others said -- it is cyl block assembled with pistons and crankshaft as one set.

in fact it is cheapper than the new engine, subject you wish to drive for years.

as to this oil consuming issue -- this problem is on the air and 1ZZ-FE (1.8 vvt-i) engnes since 2003 suffer from this issue -- the real reason was said by me. i ve seen the same engine as disassabled + i ve stored this file with relevant photos confirming overheating of piston/s

Cheers/igor

Hi and thanks for your reply.

It apears the Short Motor change is the way forward. I am not sure how much thqat will cost and as the car is at 95K miles, is it worth it.

On a plus note though it drives like a dream, looks smashing when cleaned and I dont want to get rid so i think its gonna have the work done.

Thanks agaain.

Andy

sadly this is a known problem with some of the petrol 1.8 engines in the year range such as yours. but dont forget some oil consumption is to be expected, but increased levels such as yours sounds like you have a problem with the pistons in the short motor.

there are a number of posts on this topic already here on the forums, try a search on engine oil loss or something similar, and you will find a variety of other issues like yours on here.

basically, there are some affected engines, and it is a recognised problem by toyota, who will sort this out by changing the short motor. (not an oil change, its an actual part of the engine that causes this) the pistons are not quite right, causes the loss etc etc.... other topics will explain fully.

toyota put in place an extended warranty for this problem. i cannot recall exactly the period but i "think" it was 5 years, and you needed a full toyota service history aswell to qualify. again there are other topics that cover the details on this. i do suspect however that as yours is 2003, it will be outside the qaulify period.

Also i think "sude outcome" is meant to be said outcome!

good luck

mike

Mine is a 2002 1.8 vvti, this has been a problem since I bought it (from Toyota GB) back on 2003, raised frequently with Toyota at every service, never rectified nor informed of fault, until now. Making formal complaint to MD at Toyota GB, will let you know the outcome