Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt / Waterpump

oriana

Hi all

Had my cam belt done at mr T today they quoted £360 but the final bill was £273 don't know why but nice to have an honest dealer.

However they phoned me halfway through to say that the water pump was leaking they said it was a very minor weep infact more like water that had crystalised and that it would cost an extra £225 to fix. i am trading the car in early september and will only do around 1500 miles by then so i declined have i made an error? and if it breaks what are the concequenses.

It doesn't leave any water on the floor of the garage and never needs toping up.

Many thanks

if it breaks what are the concequenses.

It won't. You did good under the circumstances :thumbsup:

if it breaks what are the concequenses.

It won't. You did good under the circumstances :thumbsup:

Thanks Anchorman just the man i needed to here that from. will it just leak more and need topping at at worst

That weep hole is designed to let the gland seals leak. If you look at most cars with a reasonable mileage or more than 2-3 years old you are likely to see crystalised anti-freeze around it. Are they right to tell you it needs renewing? Well technically yes but its a bit pedantic. Anti-freeze has a very searching quality that will find the tiniest leak. Very often it may weep only while the engine is stone cold but stops when it comes up to temp - for ever more. The leak amounts to a teaspoon full over several years but like blood it looks a mess! - you will probably never notice the level move.

If you are flogging it in 1500 miles - forget about it.