Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avenssis 2.0 2000 - Difficulty Starting

Lee Jones

Hi,

Ive been trawling this forum for days now trying to sort an issue with my Avensis, whilst I have found loads of good info, I still have problems.

The problem is that the car is having trouble starting. It has always started brilliantly within 1 spin of the starter motor, about 2 weeks ago after filling up with a full tank of fuel its started to take 8-9 spins, occasionally when it does catch it wont pick up the revs and sounds like the older cars used to when damp i.e chugging and almost stalling sometimes it will then pick up the revs and be fine and other times it will just die. Once it dies its very difficult to get going again. Once you do get it going it will start perfect for the next 10 or so times then start playing up again.

I have checked that there is a spark coming from the plugs - There is.

I have checked there there is fuel as far as the high pressure fuel pump - There is.

After trying to start the car for 10 mins (connected to a running land rover as by this point I have flattened the battery) I checked the plugs to see if they were wet, they were bone dry so doesnt look like there is fuel getting that far at the time the issues is occurring.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

This problem obviously is as a result of contaminated fuel. I suggest you drain the tank completely and fill with another from different station then clean the IACV located arount the throttle body using a carburettor cleaner. It should do the magic. It also could have affected performance of the injector nozzles but this should be the last thing to check if the first did not solve the problem.

Post feedback so we can know as you're going.

This problem obviously is as a result of contaminated fuel. I suggest you drain the tank completely and fill with another from different station then clean the IACV located arount the throttle body using a carburettor cleaner. It should do the magic. It also could have affected performance of the injector nozzles but this should be the last thing to check if the first did not solve the problem.

Post feedback so we can know as you're going.

Ah ok, unfortunately I had quarter of a tank left so put injection cleaner in it and filled tank right up (40 litres, diff petrol station) before I read your post.

Ill try the carb cleaner on the IACV first as I have nothing to hold all that fuel now!

One question mind, wouldnt this affect the idling as the car runs sweet as anything once you get it going.

Although not an answer, I have a similar issue with a 1998 1.8 GS and there have been a large number of posts that may help you on it. It should be in the first few pages of htis forum and I posted to it recently.

If I resolve the issue with my car I will post it.

All the best.

Hi,

Ive been trawling this forum for days now trying to sort an issue with my Avensis, whilst I have found loads of good info, I still have problems.

The problem is that the car is having trouble starting. It has always started brilliantly within 1 spin of the starter motor, about 2 weeks ago after filling up with a full tank of fuel its started to take 8-9 spins, occasionally when it does catch it wont pick up the revs and sounds like the older cars used to when damp i.e chugging and almost stalling sometimes it will then pick up the revs and be fine and other times it will just die. Once it dies its very difficult to get going again. Once you do get it going it will start perfect for the next 10 or so times then start playing up again.

I have checked that there is a spark coming from the plugs - There is.

I have checked there there is fuel as far as the high pressure fuel pump - There is.

After trying to start the car for 10 mins (connected to a running land rover as by this point I have flattened the battery) I checked the plugs to see if they were wet, they were bone dry so doesnt look like there is fuel getting that far at the time the issues is occurring.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

hi mate

still not clear what engine type do you have --- as per yr profile it is -- Totota Avensis 2000 2.0 D-4D VVti

but D-4D is for diesel but vvt-i is for petrol.

Shed some light please

Cheers/Igor

My 99 1.8 7a-fe has refused to start today too, must be the air!! I get a mix of starter motor click and what I would call low charge. It has fired up twice and then died straight away so could be different issue to yours.

Then again I'm still on original Battery so have that on charge.

hi mate

still not clear what engine type do you have --- as per yr profile it is -- Totota Avensis 2000 2.0 D-4D VVti

Shed some light please

Cheers/Igor

Hello, its a petrol. I said D-4D as thats what it says on the plastic shield on the engine.

Im still stumped but have a OBD lead on order that should be coming in the next day or 2 so I should have a fault code to share.

Got an Elm 327 OBD lead off eBay.

Plugged it in and its not having it.

Says that either my ignition is off or that my car is not OBDII compliant.

Anyone else managed to get one to work on a 2000 model?

Im hoping its because I have flattened my Battery trying to start it, its not completely flat but not got enought juice to turn the engine over anymore.

Going to disconnect it and charge it tonight to see if this helps.

OBD II card are from 1996 to date and any compliant scanner should be able to diagnose a 2000model car. I used to scan my former 2000 Corolla and it works fine. I agree you need to charge the Battery before running it again. Let's know what codes you get.

OBD II card are from 1996 to date and any compliant scanner should be able to diagnose a 2000model car. I used to scan my former 2000 Corolla and it works fine. I agree you need to charge the battery before running it again. Let's know what codes you get.

OBDII was compulsory in the US from 1996. The MK1 Avensis has a 16 pin slot but is OBD1 not OBD2. You can flash the codes from a 1998 by bridging pins . This will make the engine light flash and indicate an engine code one flash gap four flashes would be 14.

Have a hunt round to see if this applies to your model as I have a feeling that OBD2 was not available on models till 2003 in the UK. 16 pin plug IS there but you can't read it on mine (1998).

Hope that helps.

hi mate

Shed some light please

Cheers/Igor

Hello, its a petrol. I said D-4D as thats what it says on the plastic shield on the engine.

Im still stumped but have a OBD lead on order that should be coming in the next day or 2 so I should have a fault code to share.

iF ITS PETROL IT SHOULD SAY D4 AND THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE THE LATER OBD PLUG BEHIND THE COIN BOX TO THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE STEERING WHEEL WHICH CAN STILL BE BRIDGED

hi mate

Shed some light please

Cheers/Igor

iF ITS PETROL IT SHOULD SAY D4 AND THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE THE LATER OBD PLUG BEHIND THE COIN BOX TO THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE STEERING WHEEL WHICH CAN STILL BE BRIDGED

Thanks Toytech, does this mean the OBD lead I bought is no good?

In the UK OBDII, or EOBD as it is known here, was compulsory on all petrol cars from 2001, and all diesels from 2003.

Some cars had it slightly earlier, with yours being a 2000 model, if it is the petrol engine it may have it (I think they had it ready for the rule coming into force in 2001), if it's the diesel, chances are it probably won't be EOBD compliant.

Hope that helps :thumbsup: