Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Semi-Auto Or Manual

markquinton

Thanks Guys

Is the semi-auto 1.8/2.0 vvt-i any good? I would always guy a manual as a rule but i'm intruiged. Do they have a habit of going wrong and costing a lot to repair?

How well are they matched to the engine?

Do they suffer a big mpg reduction compared to the manual?

What are they like to drive in traffic?

Sorry for all the questions

Mark

What do you meam by semi-auto? Do you mean one with sequential shift? If that is it you may not need to use it as the auto "D" does all the thing perfectly and well matched to the engine. Save you a lot of gear changing hassels, mpg depends on your driving habit but obviously a little above manual. For me I prefers the auto.

Yeah that's the one. I've never owned an automatic and have been a little worried about expensive repairs to the transmission however i kinda like the idea of seamless gear changes. I do a fair amount of driving in traffic.

I've not experienced any problem with my gearbox. The only required maintenance which most dont do is to clean the gearbox oil filter. This could be done once in three years and it'll be fine. I also own a corolla and Lexus RX 300 all auto and there is no issue with my transmissions. I'll advise you go for it.

I have owned auto cars for 30 years and have yet to have one go wrong. If the oil level is kept up then it is unlikely to give trouble.

The current CVT set up is superb and just perfect for town driving.... the box can be used as a regular auto and if put into manual mode it becomes very flexible if you want to drive in a spirited manner. I am on my third CVT car and cannot recommend it highly enough :yes:

Go for it.... you will not regret it :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Well i'm leaning towards the auto, I was intially concerned at the mpg loss but many people seem to say it makes little difference. Now i've got to make the decision as to whether to get a 1.8 or 2.0, the 1.8 really appeals due to the mpg but i'm dead scared of the oil consumption issue especially as i'm trying to get a more reliable car than what i've got at present, but the extra power of the 2.0 is also appealing but with a considerable mpg loss.

Decisions decisions.

What mpg are you expecting to get from both the 1.8 and 2.0 engines?

Well from what I have ready people seem to be achieving anything from 35-40mpg on average from the 1.8 and many comments state how good it is on fuel whereas the 2.0 seems to only get about 30mpg on average, quite a differce but then again that is offset if the 1.8 experiences oil consumption problems.

To be honest with you I find it impossible to really understand what people mean when they use the word 'average' :huh:

What I can say is that with my car: 2009 Auto tourer 2.0 I get no higher than 24mpg when doing short runs around town but when on the motorway I can easily get 45 or even 50mpg.... so maybe that suggests I can get 30+mpg on average.... well that is my average anyway.

As for oil consumption.... it does not use a drop :)

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

hello again

mine is 1.8 auto, 2004 model.

smoother than a cashmere codpiece

its great in town, stop start stuff and great on the motorway.

the 1.8 is the better choice. interesting to note you say about it being offset against the oil consumption. not all 1.8 had an oil problem, was mostly sorted by 2004, as i say mine is a 2004 and its just fine. im now on about 75000miles.

engines from 2004 onwards should reward you with many happy miles of motoring. and you get better mpg than the 2.0 ;)

no way on earth i go back to manual!!

good luck

mike

....the 1.8 is the better choice....

Nah rubbish :angry: .... slightly underpowered I suggest ;) :lol:

How "VERY" dare you!! ;)

I have had a 2002 gls auto for about 18months and it was amazing didnt even feel the gear change and a couple of days ago i just got a 2006 T3s semi auto which is just fantastic hard to put into words how great it is to drive jap autos are about the best there is.

The model to go for depend on your driving habit and what you want in a car. The decision is yours. The take off in 1.8 is not as fast as 2.0 and especially when ascending a hill you get better performance with 2.0. Now I have moved to Avensis 2.4 and is simply fantastic.

I must admit I feel a bit old even comptemplating getting an auto as i'm only 29 but with people giving such good feedback about the avensis semi-auto i'm very tempted. I like a bit of power but do mostly city driving. Ideally I want the power of the 2.0litre with the economy of the 1.8 lol.

Whatcar magazine rate the 1.8 as a better bet as the on the road performance doesn't differ much between the 2.

.... Now I have moved to Avensis 2.4 and is simply fantastic.

Where can you buy a 2.4 powered Avensis :unsure:

I must admit I feel a bit old even comptemplating getting an auto as i'm only 29 but with people giving such good feedback about the avensis semi-auto i'm very tempted. I like a bit of power but do mostly city driving. Ideally I want the power of the 2.0litre with the economy of the 1.8 lol.

Whatcar magazine rate the 1.8 as a better bet as the on the road performance doesn't differ much between the 2.

slightly lower fuel bill with the 1.8

lower car tax bracket with the 1.8

probably slightly lower insurance too i imagine?

2.0 gives you faster 0-62 by about 2 seconds, and a higher top speed of course.

but the end decision is yours my friend!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links