Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Technical - Does This Make Sense?

Chris81

My friend has a 2002 1.0 Yaris and the engine malfunction light came on. The garage (not Toyota) ran a diagnostic and it was found to be the lambda sensor. However, they don't want to replace the lambda sensor, rather they suspect the exhaust is to blame. The car had a backbox recently but the front section (I believe they Yaris has a 2 part exhaust system)which comprises the catalytic converter and mid pipe is still on the original part and has several holes in it and is blowing. The garage suspect that air is escaping and this is giving a faulty reading on the senosr, hence why the engine management light is on. They say that this section of the exhaust (incuding cat) should be replaced firstly and if that doesn't solve the problem, then the lamda sensor should be replaced. Does this sound logical?

• Like 1

If the box is blowing and needs replacing anyway, then yes!

The sensor may be faulty or may be doing its job, letting you know you need to replace the cat.

Do look around though as you may well over halve the price of the part by doing so. Bare in mind though, that some cheap parts are just that.. Cheap! You don't wanna do the job again in another 18 months.

Same thing may apply to the sensor... some will be good value replacements, some will be sh-rubbish! As it is a part that monitors other parts and gets quite a hard life, get at least a halfway decent replacement.

Ah... My engine malfunction lamp has come on recently as well. I'm getting it checked out on Wednesday and am hoping its something easy and simple like it just needs a service and is overdue.

That been said a couple months ago my backbox dropped off and I had to get a new one fitted. Bought it from a parts factor place and don't think its genuine, even though it fits and does the job. It seems louder than the original so maybe thats what the problem is?

Ah... My engine malfunction lamp has come on recently as well. I'm getting it checked out on Wednesday and am hoping its something easy and simple like it just needs a service and is overdue.

That been said a couple months ago my backbox dropped off and I had to get a new one fitted. Bought it from a parts factor place and don't think its genuine, even though it fits and does the job. It seems louder than the original so maybe thats what the problem is?

Doubt very much if the MIL lamp has anything to do with either the service being overdue or the non genuine backbox you've had fitted. Your mobile mechanic should have a trouble code reader (OBDII) he/she should be able to pinpoint your problem.

Yeh was kind of hoping that this wasn't an expensive problem because the same thing has happened to me recently. One thing i've noticed though is that once I take it past 4500rpm on full throttle theres a whistling coming from somewhere. Is this just the back box or do I have a more serious problem?

My engine management light tends to come on and off. First I thought it was a faulty sensor and ignored it but now its staying on. Anyone got any hints?

Everyone will say to get a mechanic to look at it. I'm having a mobile mechanic come round next week to sort out my car for me. All for a reasonable £100!

Probably best to find a small mechanic with a diagnostics machine, ask him to take a look and hopefully he won't charge you too much if anything at all for the pleasure.

My backbox just sounds a little louder than the original at times. If it isn't that I'm relieved but hope it isn't anything far more serious...!!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links