Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blue Smoke From 2.2D Verso

andymyles

My Verso is out of 3 year warranty next month having done 48k and has suddenly started to pump out blue smoke when restarting after an hour or two's standing particularly when the first manouver is reversing.The engine runs "rough" until the smoke clears (a few seconds usually) but again when in slow moving traffic accompanied by, variously, a roaring sound and juddering.

Also,since last week,and very worrying, the car will gain road speed without me touching the accelerator when in 6th gear at low (1000/1200) revs on the flat or even up a slight incline.

I've taken it into the original dealership who have serviced it from new and they say the want it for a week to replace two injectors and clean out the EGR.

It puzzles me that this should take a week - I could do the job myself in an afternoon but when this was pointed out they said it was because they have to remove the injectors,obtain the serial number off them,order replacements from someone other than Toyota, wait for the order confirmation then send of a cheque before they can get them!!!

At its 30K service and without any discussion they carried out a "reflash" of the ECU. They were reluctant to tell me what the reason was but,when, as a result, performance(torque) was reduced and I was getting 10/15% less MPG I insisted on knowing what they had altered and why. I eventually got in touch with Toyota "customer service"(my inverted comas) who reluctantly conceeded that it was "to prolong valve life". This was a very disconcerting answer and a prelude to my current problems no doubt.

I've been a Toyota stalwart for very many years but things are not right and, despite the recent 5 year improved warranty, many customers like me are going to be left out of pocket as a result of their recent quality control failures.

Not good Andy !

One of the lads at work had oil burning concerns with his 30+k 57 plate 2.2d Verso and was told it would need new pistons and head which may still not cure the problem, in which case it would need a new engine.

He p/exed it for a new 2.0d Verso instead.

Your dealer will be well versed with any issues relating to your Verso. Make sure you mention this blue smoke issue as that is more likely to be burning oil than a leaky injector. The procedure they have explained to you is correct. The injectors come from Denso distributors as an exchange item and have to be paid for by the dealer and claimed back. There are known issues with the 2.2 engine

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Kingo for the warning

Its concerning that the 2-2 d4d has a oil burning issue just as the 1-8 VVTI engines did !!

I do not know if this problem has been rectified on the later Versos 2-2d4d as my current New shape Verso has not had a drop of oil added and is now going in for a service ??

Yes later models should be modified.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links