Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New At The Forums, With A New Corolla

Pablo 23

:bookworm:

Hello again from the thread starter Pablo 23.

Soon I will post a digital photo of my 2005 Toyota Corolla because after several years of waiting for the low priced 8.0 megapixels digital camera I gave up. (Maybe, now that I bought a digital camera within a year or so the 8.0 megapixels cameras prices will drop) I learned about a year ago that 8.0 megapixels is the resolution of the conventional, non digital photos and that is why I wanted an 8.0 megapixels digital camera, nothing less.

But, the prices for an 8.0 megapixels camera are still to high, specially for those that allow you to use professional lenses.

I paid $339.99 US Dollars for a Kodak 6.1 megapixels digital camera. The price in British pounds is: 339.99 US Dollar = 180.654 British Pound. It has 32 megabytes of internal memory and I bought a 256 MB memory card. It uses a rechargable special Battery and it came witn a Battery charger and tthe Battery

Soon I will post a photo of my car, as soon as I wash it and wax it again this next Friday or Saturday.

The fuel economy of my 2005 Corolla, 4 speed automatic, 1.8 lts DOHC, is right now:

6,556.4 miles / 748.151 lts(3.785) = 33.169 miles per gallon (US Measure)

6,556.4 miles / 748.151 lts(4.55) = 39.873 miles per gallon (British Measure)

But, unfortunately, we are paying an all time high price for gasoline here in Puerto Rico: 0.559 per liter of premium fuel, equivalent to:

0.559 US Dollar = 0.29702 British Pound

and, the galon of premium fuel, US Measure, costs $2.12 at least. which is the equivalent of:

2.12 US Dollar = 1.12646 British Pound

Remember that 1 gallon in US measure is just 3.785 liters, instead of 4.55 liters like in Great Britain. At many gas staions here in Puerto Rico the prices are even higher by a couple of cents. :eek:

I will post a photo of my car within a couple of days.

Edited by Pablo 23

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pablo 23

• SMW

• ashan

• dvdmeister

Hello Pablo,

I've really enjoyed reading this topic, you have certainly had some adventures with your Corolla :lol:

I hope you have better luck with your new Corolla and it doesnt get hit by a truck or stolen or damaged by flying paint and bits of wood :eek: My Corolla experience has been positively tame by comparison.

Have fun :thumbsup:

Hello Pablo,

I've really enjoyed reading this topic, you have certainly had some adventures with your Corolla  :lol:

I hope you have better luck with your new Corolla and it doesnt get hit by a truck or stolen or damaged by flying paint and bits of wood  :eek:  My Corolla experience has been positively tame by comparison.

Have fun  :thumbsup:

Thanks sigrid,

I hope to have better luck with this one too :thumbsup:

My eyes hurt now! thats some mission you've had with that! hope everythings still ok cant belive how little you pay for fuel thats crazy! take it easy dude :thumbsup:

My eyes hurt now! thats some mission you've had with that! hope everythings still ok cant belive how little you pay for fuel thats crazy! take it easy dude :thumbsup:

Thanks for your comments.

Well, to tell you more, people here in Puerto Rico are turning crazy due to the current high prices of gasoline.

The minimum salary per hour here in Puerto Rico is only $5.25 per hour, and in British pounds that is only:

5.25 US Dollar = 2.80524 British Pound

Someone wrote here in this thread that he doesn't know people in the UK who earn the minimum UK salary per hour. Maybe you can add information about how much is the minimum salary in the UK now.

Here in Puerto Rico many people earn the minimum salary or just a few cents over it or maybe little more. That is why people can't tolerate to pay what you pay in the UK, which right now is? Please write that information too here so I can learn a little.

Things are a little bit different at this other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

I hope to visit the UK soon, maybe within a year and I will have the chance to see all that personally as well as the touristic areas.

• 2 weeks later...

:bookworm: Let me see if the recent digital photos of my car appear posted....I don't know if it is going to work....I think it will take me a while until I learn how to post the photos here, unless some of you help before that.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Edited by Pablo 23

My Webpage

:bookworm: Let me see if this works now. <_<

I want to post the photos directly in the web site thread, not using a link to send you to other site. If someone knows how, please help. I think it should be easy, but there is no a link in my thread to upload the photos directly from my computer

Hope this could be solved soon, if somebody helps.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by Pablo 23

In the meantime, you can see my car digital photos using the link appearing on my previous message.

Thanks

gallery_9368_155_1116896126.jpg

Hi Pablo, Enjoyed reading this thread and your adventures.

Hope you have better luck with this car.

To answer your quesion the average pay here is now about 4.50GBP which is 8.23148 USD (per hour)

However the pay that we get varies ALOT, a normal factory job around here gets you 7.50 GBP = 13.7187 USD per hour

The price of fuel here has raised also! 0.86GBP per gallon which is 1.57295 USD

Happy Motoring

gallery_9368_155_1116896126.jpg

Hi Pablo, Enjoyed reading this thread and your adventures.

Hope you have better luck with this car.

To answer your quesion the average pay here is now about 4.50GBP which is 8.23148 USD (per hour)

However the pay that we get varies ALOT, a normal factory job around here gets you 7.50 GBP = 13.7187 USD per hour

The price of fuel here has raised also! 0.86GBP per gallon which is 1.57295 USD

Happy Motoring

Thanks for answering.

Correct me if I am wrong, but how you added my digital photo here? You simply added the web site as the link and it was loaded, or how ? I tried to add the picture directly from my computer and it was not possible.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Hi Pablo, what a misson you've had, sounds like you love your toyotas, Good luck with you new one, Looks very clean you look after it well, :)

(I think you meant minimum rather than average ;) )

Hi Pablo, what a misson you've had, sounds like you love your toyotas, Good luck with you new one, Looks very clean you look after it well,  :)

Thanks.

In fact, some idiot at a parking lot hitted the rear right door and yesterday I discovered that just after immediately coming out of a store. Is a minor thing, but it will be fixed hopefully tomorrow. Some one at a local body shop said that in this case he thinks it is not required to paint again the door, but to pull and fix the affected area and then clean with products and polish. If he is correct, the price will be low, but I am willing to pay more because I really want it to be perfect, just as before.

Maybe, it was simply a kid who opened a rear door hard and too much. But once, I saw someone with a Lexus, almost brand new, opening the driver's door hard and too much and hitting the car at his side. This man closed his Lexus as if nothing had happened. <_<

Thanks for answering. I will try to add another photo with better sunlight soon. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again from the thread starter, Pablo 23.

I just want to share with you one little experiment I did with my 2005 Toyota Corolla, 1.8 lts, 4 speed automatic.

As you probably know, when we calculate the miles per gallon average or average fuel economy for our vehicles, what we get is precisely that, an average. We don't know exactly how the car, and us, performed within the different road conditions. So we don't know, for example, how good was the average for individual highway roads or city driving conditions we encounter.

I know that this 2005 Toyota Corolla is good on the highway, as long as you don't apply the Lead Foot Principle, but I wanted to know how good it is, with a real example. The average fuel economy right now is about 33 mpg in US measure, and in British measure the average of my car is around 40.3 mpg.

So I decided to do not one, but two cross country trips here in Puerto Rico. Each trip, using the same route on two consecutive days is about 213 miles each. Most of the trip, more than 90 percent, is on the highway.

To make the story short, the car delivered 45.3 mpg US measure, which is the equivalent of 54.48 mpg in British measure.

That gives me an idea on how much better the average fuel economy could be if this Corolla was a Hybrid Corolla. Of course, this was done driving carefully, accelerating slowly, rarely passing 60 miles per hour, keeping the speed between 45 and 60 miles per hour, anticipating stop lights. I think the car could give even better fuel economy, because I was stuck in traffic jam for a while during one of the trips due to a road accident.

When I filled the tank with fuel, the trip odometer read 460.3 miles and the fuel pump at gas station turned off after filling 38.442 liters of gasoline. I always stop refueling the car after the fuel pump stops the first time. The low fuel warning light never turned on. In British measure, 38.442 lts is the equivalent of:

38.442 liters / 4.55 = 8.448 gals :bookworm:

I think it could read 500 miles before refueling, if it wasn't for the traffic jams.

Edited by Pablo 23

• 1 month later...

My 2005 Toyota Corolla, with better sunlight?

:bookworm: Hello again, from Pablo 23.

As promised, here is a better digital photo of my 2005 Toyota Corolla, with better sunlight in the morning. It seems that I can't post the image here directly unless I am subscribed as Gold Member? Well.

By the way, I saw the bad news about the terrorist atacks on London today, on cable tv, and is really terrible that innocent people died and many others were injured or exposed to all the dangers of terrorism in your country. We need to pray for the end of this complex and barbaric terrorist wave.

Here in Puerto Rico, as a US Territory, the level of security in the airports was increased according to United States guidelines.

I thought I never heard or see anything related to my stolen 2004 Toyota Corolla, but I was wrong: just minutes ago, the US Federal authorities announced on a press conference that they arrested 9 police officers, all from the capital of San Juan and from the area in which I live, which is close to San Juan....that are linked to criminal organizations dedicated to steal.....guess what.....cars and vehicles.....and also dedicated to drug traffic. :censor: ......

Maybe, my car was stolen with the help of some police officer, or maybe not, but at least they were captured. Anyway, if my stolen 2004 Corolla appears now it belongs to the insurance company, not to me. <_<

I saw that there is a topic about the London bombings under the General Discussions area.

God Bless ALL of You.............. :thumbsup:

Edited by Pablo 23

• 1 month later...

Hello again from Pablo 23,

Well, since my last post a few things happened, nothing wrong to the car to my best knowledge. Yes, a neighbor spotted a couple of thieves around my car at around 2-3:00 am a week ago, and when they were aware that someone saw them, they simply ran away on their car....This neighbor didn't knew that you can call 911 on those situations too.

I hope I have better luck with this new Toyota, but I think I should pay for an extra security system just to be more sure, other than those it already has.

Other than that, gasoline prices are rising too much here in Puerto Rico, which leads me to believe that we will be joining the rest of the world including the UK with that problem. For a US gallon of premium fuel, I paid a couple of days ago:

2.30 US Dollar = 1.26757 British Pound, and the whole gasoline purchase, in order to fill the tank was:

21.26 US Dollar = 11.71673 British Pound. The web site I am using for the conversion is http://oanda.com/convert/classic

At many other gas stations, the prices are higher at 2.45 US Dollar = 1.35023 British Pound per gallon here in Puerto Rico.

I just have the feeling, that having a 4 cylinders 2005 Corolla is like having a big V6 engine in terms of paying for fuel and that is not good for most of us who want to save.

Hybrids are a real option, but I also feel that they are a little late to the market, because they are still too expensive for most of us.

On August 12, 11 days before my 2005 Corolla turns 8 months old, I already spent 703.83 US Dollar = 387.892 British Pound in premium gasoline for my Corolla. And remember, that a US gallon is only 3.785 liters, instead of the bigger British meausre. My car has more than 11,379 miles already.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Pablo 23

• 1 month later...

Hello again from Pablo 23

I just want to share with all of you the current gasoline prices here in Puerto Rico.

After Hurricane Katrina caused a major disaster within the United States, gasoline prices went through the roof here in Puerto Rico.

The last time I filled the tank of my still new 2005 Toyota Corolla I paid

0.677 US Dollar = 0.37436 British Pound per liter of premium gasoline, which is:

2.56 US Dollar per US gallon (3.785 liters) = 1.41562 British Pound

If I am correct, the British gallon is 4.55 liters, the price will be:

3.08 US Dollar = 1.70316 British Pound per British gallon

With the reduced volume of the US Measure for a gallon, US customers have the ilussion of paying less than you in the United Kingdom, but it is worse in Puerto Rico, where the advertised price at every gasoline station is presented as the price per liter only.

In a related subject, some people here in Puerto Rico are not satisfied with the current Toyota Prius, maybe because they were expecting between 51 miles per gallon and 60 miles per gallon all the time, and the fact is you have to drive the Prius correctly in order to obtain 50 miles per gallon as an overall fuel economy average. (US Measure). The British measure for the US 50 miles per gallon will be, around 56.7 miles per gallon.

If not, you will easily obtain 44 miles per gallon or less, of course 44 miles per gallon US measure is around 50.7 mpg British measure.

So far, no probems with my 2005 Toyota Corolla, other than the high price of gasoline. Maybe, that electronic chip of the key is not that perfect, and that is why sometimes my car experiences some long starts. Maybe, the dealer is wrong and with a Battery with more cold cranking amperes this minor problem might be solved.

Soon I will be changing its oil again. Feel free to post your personal experiences here because it is forum just for that.

Thanks, and I hope to read some information from the other side of the pond, I mean, the Atlantic Ocean.

Edited by Pablo 23

• 7 months later...

:thumbsup:

Hello again from Pablo 23. My last post was almost 8 months ago, and many things happened in that

time frame.

The good news is that I still have my 2005 Toyota Corolla, which replaced my 2004 stolen Corolla....

well, you can read the story a few posts behind this one.

My 2005 Corolla now has more than 22,567 miles, and it is giving me the equivalent, using your British meausre of 4.55 liters = 1 gallon, 41.52 miles per gallon. Using the US measure of 3.785 liters = 1 gallon,

the US measure average is 34.54 miles per gallon.

My car is fine, and the only current problem was that a stone hitted the right front door at its upper edge. It will require professional body shop work, because it was a hard hit.

Current gasoline prices here in Puerto Rico are high. I paid 0.727 US cents per liter, or $2.75 US Dollars per gallon. The equivalent in British Pounds is: 2.75 US Dollar = 1.45188 British Pound per gallon

We see more Toyota Prius today in Puerto Rico, as well as many Toyota Corollas, which in my opinion is the current champion because the 2003-2006 model is one of the most abundant cars here.

I will write again soon.

Pablo

Thanks for the data.

Basic fuel in the UK is about £0.77 (GBP) per litre.. Advanced higher RON fuels are around £0.81.

I don't know how to convert this into gallons or $ - sorry !

Back in the day when fuel was cheaper........what has happened?

Pablo

Thanks for the data.

Basic fuel in the UK is about £0.77 (GBP) per litre.. Advanced higher RON fuels are around £0.81.

I don't know how to convert this into gallons or $ - sorry !

Back in the day when fuel was cheaper........what has happened?

Thanks for answering.

I don't know how to convert US Dollars to British Pounds either, but I found a web site

that makes the calculation for you, and it is: http://oanda.com/convert/classic.

I wish I had the Toyota Prius, but it is still too expensive to buy here in Puerto Rico, and in the US States

too.

I will write again after I finish the final exams period at my university. Thanks :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links