Do Not Sell My Personal Information

35W Vs 55W Hid

CorollaD4D

At the moment I have a set of 35w HIDs from eBay rated at 6000K. The light output is very good however I'd like even more. My question is those of you guys who have 55w HIDs, is the extra expense worth the increased light output/better 'look' of the car worth it? Would you say 55w over 35w was 1.5 times or 2 times as bright as 35w HIDs? I've been looking at the 55w ProMax kit from Hids4u.co.uk anyone got experience with this kit?

Also am I better off with 6000K or shall I go for 5000K/4300K since I am not the greatest fan of the slight blue tinge 6000K leaves me with.

Thanks in advance for any help...

you're better off with as low kelvin light that you can get, the bluer the light gets, the less light will be visible. More yellow = brighter. Thus 4300 is the best.

I've got 55W dipped, 55W main and 55W fogs all in HID. You can just change the ballast and keep the same bulb.

Wow, you really went for the HIDs lol! Which kit are you using, the HIDs4u I linked to or one from eBay? I'm finding it difficult to find 55w kits on eBay so I'm probably going to go for the hids4u one if you think it's any good?

The headlights are HIDS4u, the Fogs are cheap chinese eBay job.

Out of the two I would get the chinese eBay job. They have been faultless whilst I've had problems with the HIDs4U balasts. They've gone skitz a couple of times.

i got hid4u set-up. the 35w gives a much nicer light in terms of apperance and perform more than needed. no glare according to the light reader when i set the lights up (very important). the colour is more defined on the 35w and get the anti-glare bulbs - me and my mate compared on his light tester at his garage and the normal bulbs provide some glare but not huge amounts were as the anti glare bulbs didnt register on the heat reader. pay the extra and get a decent warranty (2 years) from a reputable UK supplier incase something does go wrong.

So you think the extra power from the 55w set is not worth it compared to 35w?

I agree about getting reputable warranty but if you compare the ballasts on many sets then you quickly see they are all made in the same factory they look identical etc just uk based suppliers charge a premium..

i got hid4u set-up. the 35w gives a much nicer light in terms of apperance and perform more than needed. no glare according to the light reader when i set the lights up (very important). the colour is more defined on the 35w and get the anti-glare bulbs - me and my mate compared on his light tester at his garage and the normal bulbs provide some glare but not huge amounts were as the anti glare bulbs didnt register on the heat reader. pay the extra and get a decent warranty (2 years) from a reputable UK supplier incase something does go wrong.

LOL you were ripped off. How is the color more defined there is a picture of mine below!

More importantly to OP buy a 35W anti glare set, Warranty wise any cheaper Chinese brand will offer you warranty as well. I have owned 2 sets of HIDS and nrgizerbunny has owned a cheaper and a set from HIDS4U.....Id take his word for it aswell.

DSC02026.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong and I might be but light testers do not test for glare. They only test beam pattern.

Corolla lights can pass MOTs with "glare" HID bulbs in.

To echo what Farhan said, All of these kits are made in the same place, the UK kits just have a different sticker on them and less hassle if they blow. Just bare in mind that the chinese kits cost about 1/3 to start off with!

^^ yes they can - the lil heat range at the bottom which indicates glare. thought you would know that :lol:

yes the 35w produce a "purer" light in respects of colour. imo they look miles better than the 55w - compared mine with me mates type r and mine look miles better.

We don't want your opinion that's the thing. We are all running 35w. Iv passed mot with antiglare and no antiglare. Majority of people don't have a problem with glare or failing mots.

35w here too and also passed mot with flying colours no hassle with cops @ 8000k either.

Haven't had 55w so can't compare but i got mine from Hidsdirect, great service and i think they were cheaper than Hids4u. Thinking of getting more but will buy from eBay :thumbsup:

Ae102 I know i dont know you but you are starting to ***** me off on this site, your stupid comments are getting boring now :yawn: !!!

Lol that's put me into dilema now. Originally I wanted 55w to get some more brightness out of my lights, and I would have dropped down to 4300K but now I am unsure.

I was planning to fit 4300K 55w into dip beam and swap over my current 6000K 35w set to full beam.

What's this about lights being checked during MOT?? I generally don't stay for the duration of my MOT test but I don't think I've ever seen my lights being tested?

they stick your car on a test bed and measure the light pattern.

If its too scattered or not aimed correctly it will fail. I did mine and then went to the local mot station for them to adjust, it only needed minor adjustment but when you take out and replace the headlight fitting it never ends up in EXACTLY the same place, so i was about 1 degree out.

If I was you I would leave your dipped as is and go buy some mains and fogs. Then wire up the light switch so that the fogs come on when the main beams come on.

Ahh, thats good I'll have mine adjusted too. Is this so that the two headlights are aimed correctly and pointing the light in the correct place etc?

Thing is don't we only use main beam to flash to give way and stuff so is it worth it? when i say dipped beam i mean the normal one you would use at night, when i say main/full beam i am referring to the one when you pull the stick towards you or push away from you if wanting to leave full beam on permanent.

Hi lads

I'm looking at doing the fogs on my tsc, bulb type do I need cause it said on the hids4u website that I needed HB4 / 9006 and the 9006 kit I just had delivered don't fit!

Cheers Tom!

Hi guys, I'm new here but I've been dealing with HID kits for more than six years now. I've tested all colours on my Rolla - from 4300K to 12000K - every one of them is giving out perfect amount of light output - all is up to you. The Rolla headlight is so good that the difference in light output is too small for you to "see" - I've tested on HELLA headlight equipment and the colours. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to sell you guys my stuff as I'm from Bulgaria and I'm pretty far from the UK, I'm just a Toyota fan (founder of the Toyota Club Bulgaria) and I'm just trying to help up :rolleyes: You can put which ever colour you like on your Corolla and you will be MORE than satisfied with the result. As far as 35vs55 xenon kits - I would recomment 35W due to too much light output with the 55W kits. With the Rolla headlight you're totally blinding the guy come towards you - it's too strong for the Rolla. You will get through all tests but it's up to us to keep us safer and easier to drive. You MUST put 55W kit on your Avensis 2004-> because it's headlight are awful compared to the Rolla's :lol: But the Corolla even not the facelifted has perfect headlights and 35W is enough - you can always get more, but it's not good for the other drivers on the road. If I can help up with anything about HID kits - PM me without any doubt - I will help up :thumbsup:

P.S. The Rolla's fog lights are H11 - the facelift of E12. The E15 is 9006/HB4 bulbs/ like the pre-facelift E12.