Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blowing Fuel Pump Fuse

bixxerboy

olaz ppl,im new to this site.anyway i have a paseo and it ran fine for months and months.i bort it from my brother in law and he had to problems with it.the problem started one day when i lent my dad the car.he went down the road shopping and then i got the phone call.the car just cut out and wouldnt start.my dad called the rac who came but wouldnt touch it.it got towed home and sat there.finaly paid an auto sparky to look at her.he told us it was done but may last a day,may last for years.it lasted about 10 seconds.then we took it to a toyota place and they wouldnt touch it because it had an alarm fitted so some wires had been spliced.my brother in law is an electrician and he by passed the fuel pump wires and thought that would be it,but guess what.it wasnt.so the car has sat and sat.we carnt drive it because it will tick over ok but as soon as you pull away it blows the fuel pump fuse.we bort a manual on disc but the wiring diagram was nothiong like the one on the car.so now i dont know what to do.can anyone help ???

If the fuel pump is worn/stiff then it could be drawing too much current, putting excess load on the supply circuit - blowing the fuse. Any Autoelectrician should be able to check this bit out. A new fuel pump would cure this.

If the problem is elsewhere ( alarm, spliced wires to other places etc ) then disconnecting these from the circuit will identify this ( although not cure until the actual power demand is found ).

Have you tried a higher value fuse in it? Not exactly good practice, but may provide a working solution to at least get you away till you can diagnose the problem more thoroughly.

hiya thanx for the replie,i have put a higherfuse in and guess what.it blow that in about the same time as the standard amp fuse.i've had a look and i carnt see any looseor broken wires,no bad earths and thinking about it,the fact that the the brother in law bypassed the wiring on the fuel pump and it still blow makes me think that it could be the fuel pump.do you know what other fuel pumps would fit ar were i can get one

if you're after a new one then any half decent Motor Factors should be able to source one for you. Or there's Toyota ( although the price may be a bit of a shocker ). As far as I know, the Starlet shares a lot of similar components to the Paseo, as does one of the Corolla incarnations.

I had a look at a wiring diagram for a Paseo from 1997. According to that diagram it is the fuse called EFI fuse that goes to the fuel pump and it is a 15 amp fuse. Is it that fuse that is blowing in your car or is it any other fuse? That fuse goes to lot of different things, like circuit opening relay, datalink connector, ECU, idle air control valve, efi-relay, heated oxygen sensor, egr vsv.

Meassure the current to the fuel pump (close to the fuel pump) with an ampmeter. Best is to use a clamp amp meter. Then you will see how much it use and can decide if it is the fuel pump or not.

Ask your brother in law, who obviously has been working with the electrical system of the car, what he has done with it when he was by passing the fuel pump wires.

cheers mate,next time he's up i'll ask him.the fuse that keeps blowing IS a 15 amp but i'll have to check were it is and what it does.cheers anyway mate.