Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slight Hesitation At 1900 Revs Help

Seth1

Anyone have any idea's - my 2.2 Diesel (4.3) - Drives ok except at 1900 revs - seems to have a slight hesitation.....It drives ok up to that rev range and through it - then gets to the sweet spot and goes like hell...

To explain - it hesitates if you leave it at 1900 revs (like stutters) - you dont notice it if you drive through it...

Any help appreciated!

Cheers All

Am I being to critical ?????

diesles do more than 2000rpm?

Just remove the dashboard, and ink out the bit on the rev counter that is between 1800 and 2000rpm. Then you won't know what revs you are doing and just floor it !!!

Cost of advice and fix = £nil :wacko: :wacko: :wacko::lol:

diesles do more than 2000rpm?

Just remove the dashboard, and ink out the bit on the rev counter that is between 1800 and 2000rpm. Then you won't know what revs you are doing and just floor it !!!

Cost of advice and fix = £nil :wacko: :wacko: :wacko::lol:

You are so kind sir! - appreciate the advise...Do you work for Toyota? :thumbsup:

Anyway - more described as a "Flat Spot" !!!

I think this sounds similar to Maria's which has never been cured. She had gone off to look at the VRV but never reported back. Give it a squirt with WD40 (inside the port holes) or by pass it just to try.

I think this sounds similar to Maria's which has never been cured. She had gone off to look at the VRV but never reported back. Give it a squirt with WD40 (inside the port holes) or by pass it just to try.

I am going to clean the EGR valve...Won't be till next week - driving up to Scotland on fri for the weekend...give it a blast...

Sorry to be a numpti but what ports are you referring to?? :eek:

Cheers!

I am going to clean the EGR valve...Won't be till next week - driving up to Scotland on fri for the weekend...give it a blast...

Cheers!

There is a little valve on a bracket at the rear of the engine. Just get hold of that plastic cover and pull it to take it off. The valve is at the back near the driver side and has 2 vac pipes one of which goes to the turbo vac unit. Unplug it, take it off and squirt a small amount of WD 40 into the holes then shake it until you hear the shuttle moving. Get as much WD out as you can before refitting.

Cheers!

There is a little valve on a bracket at the rear of the engine. Just get hold of that plastic cover and pull it to take it off. The valve is at the back near the driver side and has 2 vac pipes one of which goes to the turbo vac unit. Unplug it, take it off and squirt a small amount of WD 40 into the holes then shake it until you hear the shuttle moving. Get as much WD out as you can before refitting.

Thanks Anchorman - I will have a look and do as you describe....Driving up the dreaded M6 on a Friday evening it drove me mad as you are at that rev range a whole lot of the time in traffic....once clear its up to 2.5k revs plus and as sweet as a nut...

Thanks for the advise I will get back to you...

Cheers!

Thanks Anchorman - I will have a look and do as you describe....Driving up the dreaded M6 on a Friday evening it drove me mad as you are at that rev range a whole lot of the time in traffic....once clear its up to 2.5k revs plus and as sweet as a nut...

Thanks for the advise I will get back to you...

Ok - Anchorman - Borrowed some tools from our friends, took the unit off and Did what I think you said (see Picture) - took the 2 Tubes off and the filter housing plug at the top....(Marked with arrows)- Sprayed with WD40 - shook it a few times - repeated 3 times - then using compressed gas - blew out the residue..fitted - test drive...first impressions are that it is now OK (you are a genius) ...driving back from Scotland Sun afternoon so that should be a good test...

I will report back...

photo.jpg

Thats the one! Good work and nice photo.

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Thats the one! Good work and nice photo.

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Spoke too soon! its just the same --- I will clean the EGR sometime over the next 2 days...

If it's not that - were do I look next ???

We had one playing funny tricks due to a fuel filter. With all these tricky ones you should take the obvious out of the equation.

We had one playing funny tricks due to a fuel filter. With all these tricky ones you should take the obvious out of the equation.

Due - its 40k Service - Will that be changed as part of that!!!

No - not unless you ask for it but it should be covered on warranty so let them sort it out. If they change the filter as part of the investigation it will be free but if not you do it afterwards.

No - not unless you ask for it but it should be covered on warranty so let them sort it out. If they change the filter as part of the investigation it will be free but if not you do it afterwards.

OK - Cleaned the EGR valve last night, used elbow grease, carb cleaner and an old toothbrush, to be honest the valve wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, it was partially blocked but not as bad as some of the pictures I have seen, anyway I took it for a run, gave it some beans, nice cloud of black smoke (never seen that before, but I have never revved it up to near the limit)...I think it is marginally better, but certainly is still there...

I am going to book it in for it's 40k service, the warranty it not up until Sept, so I will point out the hesitation problem and see what happens...

Question, what cost am I looking at for this service? (I have a Westlands Toyota garage nearby!)

It should be its 4th service so includes a transmission oil change. I always service my own but from memory when I got my first RAV in Sept 06 it was £155 for an interim (oil change and inspection) and £235 for the one you are doing which also adds the transmission oil change. It is also due for a brake fluid change (usually £60ish) and handbrake adjust (usually £40ish), cabin filter (you should do that yourself) and I would look at the air filter (get one from Kingo and do it yourself - about £18 delivered - Toyota filters are much better than aftermarket ones).

It should be its 4th service so includes a transmission oil change. I always service my own but from memory when I got my first RAV in Sept 06 it was £155 for an interim (oil change and inspection) and £235 for the one you are doing which also adds the transmission oil change. It is also due for a brake fluid change (usually £60ish) and handbrake adjust (usually £40ish), cabin filter (you should do that yourself) and I would look at the air filter (get one from Kingo and do it yourself - about £18 delivered - Toyota filters are much better than aftermarket ones).

Just orderd a Fuel Filter from Europarts (Delphi Fuel Filter) Hope to do it the weekend...(Forgot - I should have contacted KINGO

for this ....)

Do you think I should clean the MAF while the air cleaner box is off??

Just orderd a Fuel Filter from Europarts (Delphi Fuel Filter) Hope to do it the weekend...(Forgot - I should have contacted KINGO

for this ....)

Well it won't harm and it is very easy to do. Just undo the plug, 2 screws and lift it out. I use carb cleaner and a fine bristle brush.

There is a link to the fuel filter change pinned in the 4.2 section. It is nearly the same job and you can work out the difference on the 4.3.

for this ....)

Well it won't harm and it is very easy to do. Just undo the plug, 2 screws and lift it out. I use carb cleaner and a fine bristle brush.

There is a link to the fuel filter change pinned in the 4.2 section. It is nearly the same job and you can work out the difference on the 4.3.

Yes - I have looked through the process, doesn't look to difficult a job....I will clean the MAF.....

If this doesn't fix the problem its over to "Team Toyota!" - (I have until Sept when it's out of warranty)

Cheers!

for this ....)

Yes - I have looked through the process, doesn't look to difficult a job....I will clean the MAF.....

If this doesn't fix the problem its over to "Team Toyota!" - (I have until Sept when it's out of warranty)

Cheers!

Had a spare few mins last night after the football - cleaned the MAF with carb cleaner and cotton wool buds.....took it

down the road - Feels a little better...role on the Fuel Filter...

for this ....)

Cheers!

Had a spare few mins last night after the football - cleaned the MAF with carb cleaner and cotton wool buds.....took it

down the road - Feels a little better...role on the Fuel Filter...

Ok - I have just changed the Diesel Fuel Filter.....Whilst changing that (Easy job to do as you guys have said!) - Noticed the Air Filter was absolutley Black...anyway went to westlands toyota - got a new one (just as they were closing) - fitted, I have to say the car runs loads better...I am not going to say it's completly OK - just want a few days to pass before I open my big mouth!

Anyway whilst I was there - asked about the 40K sevice - about £300...

Cheers

Aye, its gone up. Did you ask what was included because all them other things are usually extra?

Aye, its gone up. Did you ask what was included because all them other things are usually extra?

She said - oils (Engine and both transmissions boxs) filter - she took of the cost of the air filter as I was buying one to do today..did mention that the Brake Fluids might need changing and that it would be extra for that!

Get some ramps and do it yourself.

Just thought it polite to report back after all your help and support with this problem....

Anyway after completing all the jobs within this post I am happy to say that the car now runs well, :thumbsup:

To summarise here is what I did - (Many thanks Anchoreman!)

* little valve on a bracket at the rear of the engine (VRV)

* EGR Valve (Great Sticky on this! - not difficult at all to do as many members have reported)...

* Clean the MAF

* Change the Diesel Fuel Filter (Again a great Sticky, easy to do but a little messy!)

* Change the Air Filter

All these could have been done in about 5 hrs easy...total cost less than £50

Again many thanks to this Forum for your help....(God knows what it would have cost if I had a garage diagnose and do the work,

they prob would have started and changed the injectors first, prob saved > £1000..!!!)

Just thought it polite to report back after all your help and support with this problem....

Anyway after completing all the jobs within this post I am happy to say that the car now runs well, :thumbsup:

To summarise here is what I did - (Many thanks Anchoreman!)

* little valve on a bracket at the rear of the engine (VRV)

* EGR Valve (Great Sticky on this! - not difficult at all to do as many members have reported)...

* Clean the MAF

* Change the Diesel Fuel Filter (Again a great Sticky, easy to do but a little messy!)

* Change the Air Filter

All these could have been done in about 5 hrs easy...total cost less than £50

Again many thanks to this Forum for your help....(God knows what it would have cost if I had a garage diagnose and do the work,

they prob would have started and changed the injectors first, prob saved > £1000..!!!)

Final - indulgence - just given her a double dose of Millars Diesel Eco Max...and will continue with normal

quantities over the next 6 months to see if it is as good as they say it is...(Clean Injectors etc...)