Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica 2002 Engine Extreme Tapping Noise :help:

daniel son

hi all first post on this toyota forum

i have a toyota celica 2002 1.8vvti

just noticed a slight tapping noise then after a run there was an extremly loud tapping noise from around the top area of the engine,

after slight investigation there is no wear on the cam lobes but the timming chain is abit slack inbetween the cams, i can rock each cam with a spanner is this normal as im not to sure on chains and varible valve timming

many thanks

dan

No that's not normal. You need to tighten up the chain. Maybe your tensioner bearing has gone. Tighten up the chain and see what happens, if it returns then buy a new tensioner.

DO NOT drive the car with this noise, unless you want bent valves and a head that needs rebuilding.

There should be next to no slack in the chain.

No that's not normal. You need to tighten up the chain. Maybe your tensioner bearing has gone. Tighten up the chain and see what happens, if it returns then buy a new tensioner.

DO NOT drive the car with this noise, unless you want bent valves and a head that needs rebuilding.

There should be next to no slack in the chain.

after further investigations vavle timming all checked taken up all slack in the chain, no valve noise looking on the lines of hydrolic lifters as the oil was also quite low.

Ok, as long as you're not running it with a slipping chain! :eek:

changed the oil tonight as when it started tapping slightly 10w40 was put in, i have now changed it to 5w30 the noise has got slightly quieter.

it must be the hydrolic lifters / tappets

• 1 month later...

I hate to brake it to you, but the 1ZZ-FE engine is notorious for oil consumption and terminal failure. There is an extended warranty, but it lasts until 7 years after production, so you just missed it. I would visit an official Toyota service as soon as possible... If your engine is thirsty, Toyota replaces the shortblock. But being that 7 years have past for you, I don't know how it's handled by your local Toyota authority.

Good luck. :thumbsup: