Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Wheel Stuck

GJM

Wonder if someone could advise, thought the Rav was dragging a bit the other day, so did other half.

Brakes seemed to be giving a crack when drove off in the morning.

However today went to pull away and it wouldn't budge, gave it some and away it went but one of the rear wheels was just being dragged, it was stuck.

What is this most likely to be, is it a common thing, never had any grief like this with last Rav.

After it dragged for a bit, noticed the ABS light came on too, that had never been on before.

Any advice welcome

The light will go off when the wheel stops sticking. Did you park it up wet? Usually the pads stick to the caliper. You might have to rock it back and too quite severely to get it off. Try not to park it up wet.

I tried going backwards and forwards good few times but was just dragging.

It was booked to go into the garage last week for a service and the check the brakes over but they cancelled as were so busy, was meant to take it tomorrow instead but will need to get a lift by the AA by looks of it.

Park it up wet, not sure what you mean just wet from rain water or.....missus parked it up last.

You replied to a thread I posted before and mentioned the blueprint caliper, any idea where best to get one, I did go on their site and check for stockists but was all trade only places that came up

crumbs - a RAV diesel?? Not sure what age the car is, but as ancs says the brakes can stick on when parked up. Is it the handbrake... try parking up and leaving the handbrake off to see if it makes a differerence - I can sell you bricks or breeze blocks from our charity ( ooops - just a bit of sales patter) to block the wheels.

I get the same with our Transit vans but I was told to just move forward fiercely and not reverse in case the drum brakes got bent.

Interestingly, I have been reading info on brake fluids and they say that DOT5 silicon fluid prevents brakes from locking up if the car is left for short spells. Ancs will know better but.

With the amount of wet/damp weather we have, the pads/discs rust up within 24 hours.

Another thing it could be is the calipers sticking.

sorry - read yer profile and its a 5 door beast and you had problems etc and looking to fit new rear discs in May? If you replaced the discs, then check the calipers are freeing off properly and not sticking on which seems possible from a description you gave of the rear discs. If the calipers are not retracting, then they need cleaned and serviced - whether the disc is new or not. All that happens is the new disc gets contaminated the same way as the old one. Where in Scotland (approx area) are you?

Edited by bothwell_buyer

Try Partco or Dingbro. They normally supply to the trade but will serve over the counter usually. Tell them you are a mechanic if they ask;

http://www.dingbro.com/about.htm

Partco and Unipart have branches all over. Google the nearest and turn up at the counter. If you ask for an official answer you'll get one so don't ask!

BB, I have a transit van which often gets left about, never gives me issues with the brakes sticking, infact it's been one of the most reliable vehicles have owned...pity it's becoming a rust heap!

I never leave the handbrake on in the RAV, always in gear and my good lady has been told often enough to do the same.

I lived in Aberdeen (Bridge of Don) for a long time, not an Aberdonian though so no tight wad jokes :)

Recently moved out into the sticks, near Ellon.

Ancs, tried calling Dingbro first thing since they came up as a stocking on the blueprint site, they gave me 100 questions but got them to quote anyway in the end...£90 plus vat and need other caliper back.

Asked them if it was blueprint and they said no it was another one, the only one they had listed

Breakers have one for £65 plus vat but rather have a new one for £60 :)...so maybe I've been given the Aberdonian genes...or maybe I just like a good deal....or maybe I'm a bit skint!

Put the RAV in for service anyway, while driving the short distance to the garage the wheel jammed really badly.

Ended up dragging along to final destination!

Wanted a service and assesment on what was needed, ended up doing everything without calling me, wasn't really expecting that.

Not sure if the ABS light goes off itself but was billed 25 plus vat for the privelage anyway, I have one of that scanner things myself....on that point where is the OBD socket exactly on these RAV's

So handbrake cable...didn't quite expect it to be that price and so labour intensive!

The OBD socket is by the bonnet pull.

Thanks I had a quick look when parked up took out the storage pocket thinking it might be in there.

Money for old rope that code reseting...doesn't need it half the time I know that from the other halfs Golf, VW dealers seem to just do it and charge regardless.

Handbrake cables pricey for this model ANC? Ever done one, seems an expensive part with a lot of labour.

Got new front brakes aswell, even though didn't ask for them!

The only problem with the cables are that the brake discs have to come off at the back. The reason is that the handbrake consists of small shoes inside the hub of the disc and the cables come through into the brake. Its quite labour intensive and if the shoes are worn they might as well change them while they are stripped down.

Hmmm

An ex-Aberdonian now an Ellonian being tight on wallet picking?

Surely not.

One of the morbid things about cars is if you don't use them and all the bits then things jam/stick/rust/just cause a problem.

We have 4 transits and 2 have problems with the rear brake if its left for a few days. I try to make sure that all the fleet (6 trucks and 3 cars) get used a couple of times a week just to keep things moving. Even the genny gets started in this weather just to keep it fresh!

Bit odd for the handbrake cable to stick - don't get that much on the 4.1. Might be that the outside casing had been damaged to allow water in = rust etc.

Just bought a caliper for a Mercedes 815 Atego - the caliper was beyond help partly as the truck had been laid up for a number of months before we bought it - £280 + fitting but at least the truck stops now in a straight line and our Operators Licence is intact ! :shutit: :shutit: :shutit:

The only problem with the cables are that the brake discs have to come off at the back. The reason is that the handbrake consists of small shoes inside the hub of the disc and the cables come through into the brake. Its quite labour intensive and if the shoes are worn they might as well change them while they are stripped down.

They never did the shoes, just cleaned up think it said, mind changed the front pads though..not quite sure why, infact not sure they did what they did period!

I asked them to change the oil which I left in RAV and check the rear sticky wheel and let me know what the outcome is...I already had pads/shoes in the garage which I bought.

It mentions dropping the fuel tank from what I can make out with regards to the cable/show work

Took it for a good run yesterday, the brakes are noisy and rubbish, front discs getting quite hot, guess that's the bedding in process.

Other think is wheels vibrates above 65 or thereabouts, makes it quite unpleasant to drive, wasn't like that before.

Hmmm

An ex-Aberdonian now an Ellonian being tight on wallet picking?

Surely not.

One of the morbid things about cars is if you don't use them and all the bits then things jam/stick/rust/just cause a problem.

We have 4 transits and 2 have problems with the rear brake if its left for a few days.

Bit odd for the handbrake cable to stick - don't get that much on the 4.1. Might be that the outside casing had been damaged to allow water in = rust etc.

Just bought a caliper for a Mercedes 815 Atego - the caliper was beyond help partly as the truck had been laid up for a number of months before we bought it - £280 + fitting but at least the truck stops now in a straight line and our Operators Licence is intact ! :!Removed!: :!Removed!: :!Removed!:

Ex Aberdeen resident, not an Aberdonian ;)

RAV has been used, not left around like my Transit can be on occassions, that said had the trusty transit around 3-4 years now and never had it jam and it has had long periods of rest, especially this winter just past.

Pity it is falling apart bodywork wise.

I thought my RAV was a 4.2?

I don't mind paying for stuff, but I do like to source my own parts, as I know from maintaining VW's over the years Dingbro which most garages use and more expensive than the dealers with only 1 year on parts as opposed to 2 years.

They are a bit useless up this neck too as just found out again when tried to source a throttle body, they didn't even know they stocked them, until I spoon fed them the pierburg part number, twice they told me they never kept them and twice the distributers told me they supplied them.

Anyway at £245 plus vat they can shove it, the VAG part is a few quid cheaper and the pierburg part can be had for around £170 plus vat, so call me tight but I'd rather pay the joe bloggs price than the 'trade' equivelant.

Dingro with the RAV caliper said 90 plus vat, I asked if it was blueprint and they said no chance it would more expensive and they dont do blueprint ones....local motor factor was 64 plus vat, again an easy choice.

Back to the RAV, again don't mind paying but never asked for front brakes to get done etc, just asked for the oil change and to let me know why the wheel is stuck.

You paid and have something that drives well and brakes in a straight line, I've got a boneshaker back :)

I think over £300 for a service which I supplied oil/filter, front pads and handbrake cable is pretty pricey, cable at £55 plus vat seems excessive, maybe I'm wrong on that.

Cable sounds reasonable to me its the rest that sounds a rip off. I would take it back and ask them to sort it. Were the front pads worn? Did you ask to see them? We've seen examples of owners being asked to change pads which are only half worn before. As for Dingbro, they obviously suspect you are not trade and must be looking to deter you. They can swivel from now on - I will not recommend them again. Is there a Partco in your neck of the woods?

I think there used to be one in Aberdeen from memory.

I looked at all the pads before it went in and when I say looked I don't mean thoroughly, just threw the wheels, the fronts looked fine, if anything it was the rears that were low, said that to garage, all they said was but your rears don't do much braking, never had pads to show me.

Guess they could have been worn on the inside?

Code read - 25

Pads 25

Cable 55

Labour 155.

All plus VAT

Sure the labour is about 30-40 per hour so guess they have spent 4.5 hours on it.

Not my garage of choice and first time used them but due to nature of problem had little option.

Rav was tested around 4k ago and no advisories at all.

I had purchased rear discs/pads as they were looking a bit sorry in my eyes and got front pads too as thought be handy to have when they do need replacing.

I thought that with Dingbro as the first call I got 20 questions, however with my second call, no questions asked at all.

It doesn't appear so bad broken down. What was the code?

I suppose I was just commenting on the 4.1. That model just had drum brakes, and I've never had probs with the cable. The 4.2 will be a little different given its a disc/shoe arrangement.

The code was to reset the ABS light after it came on when wheel really jammed on short run to garage.

I think you mentioned this would go off after wheel was free, however I know again from experience how a lot of garages work, this is often money for old rope.

VAG have a common fault with brake light swtiches, the glow plug light comes on strangely enough, seems to be a recall in the US but not the UK.

VAG dealers here charge around £90, it's an £8 part and a 2 min job...even for me, shows how easy it is, they bill people for a reset but I've done a couple over the years and even though I have one of the code readers it's never needed it, just fit the switch, then turn back on and off and it's gone with no reset

Aye and you can get a reader for about £27 and cancel it yourself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links