Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Health And Safety Laws To Be Reviewed By Government

Raistlin

The government is promising to check the "growth of compensation culture" by reviewing health and safety laws.

Lord Young, who served as a cabinet minister under Margaret Thatcher and will lead the study, said many rules were "absolute nonsense".

Restaurants had banned toothpicks on safety grounds and contestants in a pancake race had been told to walk, not run, because of rain, he added.

But unions have warned against attacks on rules that protect staff at work.

Lord Young's review is expected to report its findings over the summer.

The peer, who was trade and industry secretary in the 1980s, will investigate concerns over the "application and perception" of health and safety legislation and the "rise of the compensation culture over the last decade".

He told BBC Breakfast: "There is no question, in any dangerous occupation, in any place where people are in danger, health and safety rules will apply.

"But there are so many parts of life where it is an absolute nonsense. If there were still music halls, it would be a music hall joke."

One school had taught pupils how to put on make-up but told them their adult supervisor could not use wipes to remove it because this contravened the rules, he added.

Lord Young said the system had to be "proportionate and not bureaucratic".

"I hope my review will reintroduce an element of common sense and focus the regulation where it is most needed."

Prime Minister David Cameron said: "The rise of the compensation culture over the last 10 years is a real concern, as is the way health and safety rules are sometimes applied.

"We need a sensible new approach that makes clear these laws are intended to protect people, not overwhelm businesses with red tape. I look forward to receiving Lord Young's recommendations on how we can best achieve that."

Mr Cameron said the UK had become "saturated" by health and safety laws.

In recent years children had been told to wear goggles to play conkers and trainee hairdressers had been banned from using scissors, he added.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raistlin

• KPARRIS-JONES

• Bizarra

• Red Yaris 54

Top Posters In This Topic

A Screwdriver labelled "Do not put this in your ear" Screwy ! :wacko:

I can think of several other places into which it should not be inserted :eek: Why no warnings about those ? :laughing:

I bought a new kettle and a sticker on the base said " Careful may contain hot liquids " really... if I had know I wouldn't have bought it blink.gif

The second to last line is so true and I hate the way we are now so obsessed with safety. It restricts the enjoyment that we can get out of pretty well anything now.

The numbnuts in charge don't want the weakest genes to be removed from the Gene Pool. If that happened, there would be no numbnuts to replace them & the strain would die out, leaving no one stupid enough to run countries :censor:

The numbnuts in charge don't want the weakest genes to be removed from the Gene Pool. If that happened, there would be no numbnuts to replace them & the strain would die out, leaving no one stupid enough to run countries censored.gif

Or to follow them sad.gif

There is nothing wrong with Health and Safety rules.... it is just that there are far too many :censor: numbnuts that enforce them in the most ignorant way.

This is so true, I have had to do some work as a couple of chaps are of sick (censored.gif ) and I have been into a couple of schools and I can not believe the forms and rules there are.

I have a photo ID and enhanced CRB certificate and yet it takes me some forty minutes before I can start to work and they know me there...

This is so true, I have had to do some work as a couple of chaps are of sick (censored.gif ) and I have been into a couple of schools and I can not believe the forms and rules there are.

I have a photo ID and enhanced CRB certificate and yet it takes me some forty minutes before I can start to work and they know me there...

That explains why it takes so long :P

There is nothing wrong with Health and Safety rules.... it is just that there are far too many :censor: numbnuts that enforce them in the most ignorant way.

I have to disagree, there are way too many rules going around and if I choose to take part in a dangerous activity, I sign away their responsibility for my safety. I am the one who chooses to do it and it's my fault if I get hurt. They should give you a contract to notify you of the risks and if you deem them reasonable then you sign the paper and you run free. :yes:

If I decide to play conkers and I get hurt, then that's my problem because I decided to take part with the risks in mind.

That is the sensible & intelligent point of view :yes: , But we're dealing with numbnuts, unCivil Servants,Bureaucrats & jobsworths here. :ffs:

That explains why it takes so long tongue.gif

That's harsh... crybaby.gif

I know :rolleyes: but tis said that the truth always hurts :sneaky2:

I know rolleyes.gif but tis said that the truth always hurts sneaky2.gif

Is it slap Raistlin day ?

It would seem so............as long as a risk assessment has been carried out ;) :P :lol:

It would seem so............as long as a risk assessment has been carried out wink.giftongue.giflaugh.gif

I've assessed the competition, the whiners and the nay sayers and I'm not worried in the least :D

An optimist too? :eek:

I used to be one & gave it up as a bad idea. I'm now a happy pessimist :yahoo: If it happens,I was right & if it doesn't, I'm pleasantly surprised. :lol:

An optimist too? eek.gif

No I just don't give a flying fox, You can like me or ignore me .

Life is way to short, You old boys must realise this as you rapidly burn down towards the end of your fuse's... :D

It's about time something was done. We can't go around warping everything up in cotton wool, common sense is what people need not crazy H&S laws.

An optimist too? eek.gif

Life is way to short, You old boys must realise this as you rapidly burn down towards the end of your fuse's... :D

Ignore?...

:D

An optimist too? eek.gif

Life is way to short, You old boys must realise this as you rapidly burn down towards the end of your fuse's... biggrin.gif

Ignore?...

biggrin.gif

OK I'll give you that one ... :D

An optimist too? eek.gif

Life is way to short, You old boys must realise this as you rapidly burn down towards the end of your fuse's... biggrin.gif

Ignore?...

biggrin.gif

OK I'll give you that one ... :D

Hmph ! You never have given me one :crybaby::oops: :lol2:

I seem to recall a post I made about my never getting the last word with you :shutit:

I always knew you were a taker... biggrin.gif

Kynan walks into a bar,

Says" Ouch"....

It was an iron bar wielded by Vic :D