Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Judder

johnhrh

Hello to all, I have a Toyota Aygo Platinum Aug 09 with 6000mls on clock, has anyone had the problem of clutch judder when pulling away from standing ? It only does it when its been damp weather and has stood for a day or two, once I've ran it for some time its OK. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem on the Aygo before I talk to my Toyota Dealer.

I cant see how it will be an engine mounting otherwise it would do it all the time, only thing I can think of is damp is getting onto clutch plate or pressure plate somehow.

regards

johnhrh

Had exactly this on my 08 Platinum. Dealer took one look and said "deformed plate since day one sir, warranty job" and put in a whole new clutch. They did say beforehand though that if it showed signs of slipping, rather than judder, it would be wear and tear and thus down to me to fund.

They said it was rare enough that they called Toyota UK and asked me to fill in a questionnaire about it all.

It's now three months on and wonder of wonders, it's started again. I'll be flagging it with them at the next service, as I'm still in warranty.

Had exactly this on my 08 Platinum. Dealer took one look and said "deformed plate since day one sir, warranty job" and put in a whole new clutch. They did say beforehand though that if it showed signs of slipping, rather than judder, it would be wear and tear and thus down to me to fund.

They said it was rare enough that they called Toyota UK and asked me to fill in a questionnaire about it all.

It's now three months on and wonder of wonders, it's started again. I'll be flagging it with them at the next service, as I'm still in warranty.

OK look on this forum and Google Aygo clutch, you will find a lot of horror stories. It seems that there is/was a design fault. Our went just out of warranty (four weeks). It went all of a sudden , and after pressing it was admitted as a design fault and a new clutch supplied by Toyota and half the labour cost (still pressing for the other half). Not sure if they had corrected the design fault by your year (ours is a 07 plate), but worth checking with the dealer.

Thanks, when I do take it in I'll post the results back here for future reference just in case anyone has the same fault. Drove it this morning and all ok but it was dry and fine weather.

regards

Johnhrh

Thanks, when I do take it in I'll post the results back here for future reference just in case anyone has the same fault. Drove it this morning and all ok but it was dry and fine weather.

regards

Johnhrh

I had a 2006 56 Aygo Black which did this throughout me owning it (13k right through to 34k).

Juddery clutch combined with what sounded like piston slap getting progressively worse caused me to trade it in for an 07 plate turbodiesel Clio a week or so ago. Much more power, better MPG and still only £30 roadtax!

Much more power, better MPG and still only £30 roadtax!

...don't forget legendary Ren-no build quality and Customer Service to boot! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading about your clutch problems, and as someone said, you will hear many horror stories. But no-one has pointed out that the aygo clutch actually has an inherent fault. NOT EVEN THE DEALERS!! The clutch plates actually fail (BREAK) not wear out. When they are taken out the clutch parts are not worn at all but broken! And when you order a new clutch kit it comes with a warning that if you don't also order and fit a new MODIFIED fly wheel, then your new clutch will be void of any warranty. I have seen the kit, AND the warning label with my own eyes, or I wouldn't have beleived it. The local Toyota dealer in Subikhorpe claims to know nothing of this, and they definitely won't contribute by way of goodwill to the cost (well over £600 in total. So ALL Aygo owners BEWARE!!

Nice horrorstory, but kind of hard to believe without any proof...

Especially from someone new to the board and this being a first posting...

If you saw the label, why not make a photo?

Been reading about your clutch problems, and as someone said, you will hear many horror stories. But no-one has pointed out that the aygo clutch actually has an inherent fault. NOT EVEN THE DEALERS!! The clutch plates actually fail (BREAK) not wear out. When they are taken out the clutch parts are not worn at all but broken! And when you order a new clutch kit it comes with a warning that if you don't also order and fit a new MODIFIED fly wheel, then your new clutch will be void of any warranty. I have seen the kit, AND the warning label with my own eyes, or I wouldn't have beleived it. The local Toyota dealer in Subikhorpe claims to know nothing of this, and they definitely won't contribute by way of goodwill to the cost (well over £600 in total. So ALL Aygo owners BEWARE!!

Apart from these few posts I have never heard of this being a problem, where is you evidence ?

Yep.... me too.

I had a 2006 basic manual for 4 years, and the initial take-off in bottom gear was always a bit juddery, and needed reasonably high revs to save it from stalling.

I was told that this was a characteristic of most of the Aygos, and Yaris too, apparently.

I've had a few cars in between, but I've now got a 2006 Aygo Black with MMT gearbox, and bottom gear is just the same... especially when it's been standing overnight. But after the first go through the gears, bottom gear is fine again, but it's still a bit hesitant at taking off(bit of a bummer at roundabouts!).

The "cold morning judder" is only a problem if you're parked in a tight spot!!! :unsure:

I reckon it's something that we have to adjust to and live with.... I'm quite happy with my second Aygo despite these little niggles... I just see them as niggles to be adjusted to..... I don't see them as problems.

Cheers...

Raggy.

hi,just an update about my clutch judder problem when damp,I Went to the dealers yesterday where I bought my car and explained the problem to them, I said it would not do it when its so fine dry weather, the outcome was they are taking the car in next Tuesday to put a clutch assembly in and new flywheel, they said that when damp some customers had mentioned the problem of clutch judder. Can't fault my dealership up to now, will post back with any further details.

regards

johnhrh

• 1 month later...

I have the clutch judder problem. It's booked in for Weds to be evaluated, I understand there Is a revised clutch to address this juddering issue, but I suspect my dealer are going to be t****s about it. How have people got on with this as a warranty replacement?

Good story about the modified flywheel/label etc haha.

Anyway - some Aygo clutch covers have been know to break the staps (which causes a rattle noise with the engine running and clutch pedal up and poor gear selection).

Mart.

Hi follow up to my clutch judder problem, I mentioned about clutch judder being quite bad, the service guy said straight away they would fit new clutch and flywheel, Job done seems to OK.

regards

johnhrh

I dropped the car off and while the service guy was getting keys for the car, I had a good look at the jobsheet.

It said "pre-approved" - so I was pretty sure they'd decided to replace the clutch under warranty. I noted that the product code for the work was "mechanical - gossip", which made be laugh! They did it anyway, clutch is much better now, but my faith in Toyota service is not 100% restored - they still deny any knowledge of any Technical Bulletins with regards to Aygo clutches, but I know they will have had at least 3, so they're either lying or just incompetant. :censor:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links