Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rust Problem

arry191

2004 rav4I have noticed spots of rust appearing on the inside of the doors at the bottom where the doors seal against the rubber seal first noticed this in early 2009 on 1 door and was repaired under warranty i have now noticed it as started on the front doors but toyota are refusing to repair them under warranty as they say the rust is not coming from the inside of the doors yet this part of the doors is on the inside of the car and does not come in contact with the weather just wondering if any body else as had or noticed the same problem i feel let down by the corrosion warranty also problems with alloy wheels very poor arry191

The corrosion warranty does not cover rust that appears on the surface of anything, inside or outside the car. The corrosion MUST be coming from the inside of a panel to the outer surface, not the other way round

Kingo :thumbsup:

The corrosion warranty does not cover rust that appears on the surface of anything, inside or outside the car. The corrosion MUST be coming from the inside of a panel to the outer surface, not the other way round

duhhhhh, call me stupid (ok) but rust doesn't appear on the surface until the bit below has rotted. Like my 1994 racing RAV is showing a rust bubble on the rear wheel arch. I'd guess thats cos the rust has come through from underneath.

Now doors..... as the expert on doors on this forum, I'm sad that people haven't shown the enthusiasm I have about 5 door cars! Aside of hinges, doors are part of the structural stability of the car...rust on doors on my 2 1994 RAVs is not (yet) a problem - ie there is no rust. So how come a car 10 years younger gets rust on their doors? Either the hinges have fallen to allow the door to rub against the frame, or the paint job was poor to start with.

How would one prove that ones door rust is coming from the inside of a door if one cannot check it without one opening the door skin up with a can-opener? An MRI scan won't do as the door will tear into dusty bits.... an x-ray?? 6 years and rusty doors indicates a manufacturing build quality dating back to the days of the landrover chassis one surmises.

Noo Mr Bothers, rust can appear on the surface for a number of reasons, it does not have to be coming through from under the surface. Generally when it is coming from INSIDE the panel, you get lumps of paint falling off along with clods of rust, thankfully, very rare indeed these days with galvanised panels and anti corrosion treatments

Noo Mr Bothers, rust can appear on the surface for a number of reasons, it does not have to be coming through from under the surface. Generally when it is coming from INSIDE the panel, you get lumps of paint falling off along with clods of rust, thankfully, very rare indeed these days with galvanised panels and anti corrosion treatments

arry191

there's yer answer.... is the rust on the inside of the door coming off in clods? If not, fertilise it with something so it does.... brine perhaps?? :shutit:

Paint does not rust. The only time paint gets rust on the outer, atmosphere facing surface is if something such as iron filings or swarf from drilling gets deposited on the surface and not removed promptly.

Rust causing paint to 'bubble' must come from beneath the paint surface. This can be either from water ingress between the paint 'skin', maybe from a scratch or pin hole in the paint, poor repairs or from the inner side of the panel that has maybe not been coated properly.

The Toyota warranty is really an 'anti perforation' warranty similar to other manufacturers and is provided to mitigate against the latter.

Very difficult to prove unless the inner surface is worse than the outer and, in most cases, an endoscope would be needed to view the inside unless you are prepared to dismantle the offending panel.

If the rust is in the area where the outer skin and the inner pressing come together the panel would have to be cut and separated to prove the point :unsure:

Paint does not rust. The only time paint gets rust on the outer, atmosphere facing surface is if something such as iron filings or swarf from drilling gets deposited on the surface and not removed promptly.

Rust causing paint to 'bubble' must come from beneath the paint surface. This can be either from water ingress between the paint 'skin', maybe from a scratch or pin hole in the paint, poor repairs or from the inner side of the panel that has maybe not been coated properly.

The Toyota warranty is really an 'anti perforation' warranty similar to other manufacturers and is provided to mitigate against the latter.

Very difficult to prove unless the inner surface is worse than the outer and, in most cases, an endoscope would be needed to view the inside unless you are prepared to dismantle the offending panel.

If the rust is in the area where the outer skin and the inner pressing come together the panel would have to be cut and separated to prove the point :unsure:

so wot yer saying is its impossible to prove unless you scrap the car???

I can see a market in rust-bubbled door panels developing here!

No - honestly... theres no way a 6 year old Toyota should be rusting unless its been in an accident and had a bodge job....or maybe its a manufacturing fault? (shock, horror,.. these things don't happen)...just like the old 1995 4.1 front spring recall due the springs breaking ..cough ahem... B)

so wot yer saying is its impossible to prove unless you scrap the car???

I can see a market in rust-bubbled door panels developing here!

No - honestly... theres no way a 6 year old Toyota should be rusting unless its been in an accident and had a bodge job....or maybe its a manufacturing fault? (shock, horror,.. these things don't happen)...just like the old 1995 4.1 front spring recall due the springs breaking ..cough ahem... B)

Not impossible Bothy but pretty difficult.

One thing that can be done, I believe, is measure the paint thickness on a panel. I think some paint/body shops have equipment for this. Now, if it can be proved that the paint is not up to spec thickness [whatever that may be] in the area affected it would be easier to argue the case.

I certainly agree that a car of that age should not rust - however 4.3 owners of three year old cars are already having to resort to Waxoyling underneath. That's something I have not had to do on any car I have owned in the last twenty years.

Not what I expected from Toyota.

Its that young shcm that put me onto waxoyling - he's got a lot to answer for - he made me change my RAV as well!!! :thumbsup:

I have sprayed over 2 litres under this one as the other one suffered from surface rust. It wasn't harmful but just didn't look nice :rolleyes:. When shcm brought his old one up it was infinitely better preserved so I invested in a spraygun and a big tin of waxoyl.

The bodywork never rusted on the old one. The vulnerable panels were all galvanised (bonnet, roof etc) and all the others have various treatments but mine was always waxed and stone chips promptly touched in. I think any rust is likely to be evidence of a previous repair or maybe the effects of condensation in low use or poor storage conditions.

I tried waxoyling the wifes under-arms but it just made things look worse - like you said, not pretty :lol: :lol:

(Thank goodness she doesn't read this forum and doesn't drive! :shutit: :shutit: )

I tried waxoyling the wifes under-arms but it just made things look worse - like you said, not pretty :lol: :lol:

(Thank goodness she doesn't read this forum and doesn't drive! :!Removed!: :!Removed!: )

Did you have to get her up on ramps and give her a good old scrub down before applying the Waxoyl ? :D

PK wasn't saying that paint rusts, he was saying that it bubbles up due to the rust underneath..... you want to see the rust I have before you complain... :lol: :D

Still, it really shouldn't be rusting at all, get them to fix it! :yes::thumbsup:

PK wasn't saying that paint rusts, he was saying that it bubbles up due to the rust underneath..... you want to see the rust I have before you complain... :lol: :D

Still, it really shouldn't be rusting at all, get them to fix it! :yes::thumbsup:

Correct, there are reasons why rust might be seen on paintwork, iron filings, even a crack in the paint through damage where water gets in and starts to rust. One of the most common things with rust at the bottom of the door is where you open the door, and the bottom of it catches an obstruction, cracking the paint. I'm not saying that is the problem in this case but it does need investigating and the best place for that is a word with the Toyota bodyshop manager

(Thank goodness she doesn't read this forum and doesn't drive! :shutit: :shutit: )

Did you have to get her up on ramps and give her a good old scrub down before applying the Waxoyl ? :D

Sort of dear boy.... the pressure washer was linked up to our shower cabinet.... doesn't bear thinking about.... :wacko:

Correct, there are reasons why rust might be seen on paintwork, iron filings, even a crack in the paint through damage where water gets in and starts to rust. One of the most common things with rust at the bottom of the door is where you open the door, and the bottom of it catches an obstruction, cracking the paint. I'm not saying that is the problem in this case but it does need investigating and the best place for that is a word with the Toyota bodyshop manager

I have a problem with my bodywork too...... dya think the T Bodyshop manager could help me?? I've been to the Orthopaedic surgeon and he kindly said I was beyond NHS medical science. Maybe a T dealer could sort out the knuckle joints and spinal chassis?? :lol: :lol:

• 10 years later...

Hi @arry191,

I have the exact same problem with my 2005 Rav4. The other day I was about an hour done from washing it and the front doors were still dripping. I don't know I feel the windows seal are not tight or the drain is clugged perhaps. 

Chris