Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Interior Improvements?

Car Interor design

Hello IQ’ers

I’m an Industrial designer that for the moment is looking in to interior design for Toyota.

Now I need your help, please give me your insights!

What is lacking? What do you love/ hate in your car?

All information is of grate value to me in my work, thank you!

Hello IQ’ers

I’m an Industrial designer that for the moment is looking in to interior design for Toyota.

Better quality plastic for a start.

Pretty bad for a rather expensive small car.

Arm rest that can be used as a glove box.

Oh and yes, a touch colour a la smart ?????

A bit dull inside

Toyota IQ is feature as luxary (at least the price is telling that)

Go and have a look at the Scion IQ modified version (the black/titanium colour one). You can easily find it in google.

Have a look at how they design it and you know what is luxary.

I know there is a new 'collection' IQ... They have changed the colour of some parts...

Well... That is surely 'ALOT OF WORK' done on it.

The exterior of the car is great and the idea/spec of the car is also great. However the interior, I dont think there is any style at all.

At least get rid of our cheap looking gear shifting shaft and put in something more unique...

Here is my list:

- Optitron instruments (LED) - the current looks somewhat out of place and low-tech compared to the rest of the car

- Repositioning of the LCD info display. Daylight glare makes it hard to read. Alternatively put a larger shade over it to block light from above.

- Centre armrest with storage

- More practical centre console with more cubby holes and storage. It could also better link the dash with the proposed arm rest.

- Better internal lighting - the exisisting LED lamp is good as a reading spot but doesn't light up the whole inside of the car. Two more of these in the rear B pillars would serve as both reading lights, luggage space light and general light.

- Add more little storage bins - even a little pull out coin tray would help. I am sure it would also be possible to squeeze in some small storage trays in the rear.

- Seats could have better lateral support, particularly in the seat cushion

- softer materials on inside of doors - the current plastic looks a little dull

- UK specific - the plum leather would be nicer if it was two-tone leather (which is offered in other countries)

- More user friendly steering wheel controls - the current 'joystick' is too fiddly. (otherwise I love the chunky, D-shaped speering wheel)

This, I feel, would make a great car even better.

1. Centre arm rest and storage bin.

2. Better quality interior trim. We just got a new Polo and I like the "squishy" dash and trim the Polo has. Would be nice to see that in an iQ.

3. Steering wheel joystick is fiddly.

Hello IQ'ers

I'm an Industrial designer that for the moment is looking in to interior design for Toyota.

Out of interest - how will you use this feedback? What is your connection with Toyota? (Will this feedback reach Toyota?)

1. Central storage box/Armrest

2. Better quality trim

3. Better arrangement for rear seat belt storage. (not just stuffing them through a hole in the side)

4. Better idea for rear luggage cover. (No press studs!)

Thanks,

Turnip.

I like the little joystick btw. :)

Hello IQ'ers

I'm an Industrial designer that for the moment is looking in to interior design for Toyota.

Out of interest - how will you use this feedback? What is your connection with Toyota? (Will this feedback reach Toyota?)

It will fore sure reach toyota. Thank you all for your lovley feedback!

Would be nice if :

Thr mirrors could fold in/out when the engine is stopped started.

The mirror button illuminated at night.

The passenger air bag warning light extingushed when on and shown when off (as other cars do)

Radio controls the passenger can use.

Rgds

Get a Caterham, and you will learn real pain with the hood press studs ;-))

Rgds

Rgds

Sports car drivers love that sort of thing though.........especially in a sudden downpour. :D

As others...centre arm console

Also a 'cover' for the back when the seats are down

I would also like nicer trim on the door etc

Would cheerfully get rid of the seatbelt light on the dash......

otherwise I am perfectly satisfied :thumbsup:

Rgds

Sports car drivers love that sort of thing though.........especially in a sudden downpour. :D

Convertable IQ (No press studs though for the hood) ;-))

Rgds

Convertable IQ (No press studs though for the hood) ;-))

I would love to see a roadster version. Something along the lines of Smart's Roadster. :rolleyes:

....I would put up with a hundred press studs for that.... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Few more things to add:

Interior light - leave too many blind spot in the car

Button light - some button (i.e. the side mirror swich) does not have light at night

Seatbelt sensor - Well... I dont know how you guys design it but it annoys me everytime when my dog(4.5kg) sat on the side passenger seat and it triggles the side passenger seatbelt alarm...

More thing to add...

Fuel display board - I suggest to put the switch button on the steering wheel just like the radio volumn control. I found myself click on it at least a few times everytime when I drive the car, not sure if thats just me tho...

Nice design but there are a few niggles which would need addressing:

- Better plastics (soft touch)

- Proper stereo controls

- Armrest with storage unit below it

- Glovebox rather than the glove bag.

Nice design but there are a few niggles which would need addressing:

- Better plastics (soft touch)

- Proper stereo controls

- Armrest with storage unit below it

Hell yea... the glove bag is currently useless to me... Its not easy to close once opened...

However about the armrest, I have to disagree with most of you. I found that the space in the middle between two seats are actually very handy and IQ users are able to customise it to whatever they want. I have bought a little box divider that can perfectly fit into that spot and I put my remote, mobile phone, bag of cashew nuts and some other accessories in there :P.

When someone is sitting at the back, I can always remove that box for extra leg room. I can also replace the box with divider with a little nice looking rubbish bin!

That glove bag is laughable.

One of the first things I did was tear it off and chuck it in the shed. :rolleyes:

• 7 years later...

Hello y'all...Had my '09 IQ for two weeks now and absolutely LOVE it!

I am currently working on a secure, lockable 'cubby box'/armrest storage and going by the above posts/comments, I think you will be interested!

One issue I first noticed early on was the lack of a door handle specifically in windy weather, so have ordered a 2nd hand switch panel from

a later model...

Second was how awkward the audio 'joystick' is to use.... 

Solved that one cheaply with a stick on foot from Wilko's.

Am struggling with fitting my Viofo 119 dash cam and thinking of taking the power off the interior light but

I have the low voltage cut off to hide too, is there space in front of the light behind the headlining Guys?

Cheers!

s-l500.jpg

Sl370143S.jpg

Sl370146S.jpg

Sl370149S.jpg

3b85e7cs-960HL.jpg

Edited by Ford Prefect
pics wrong order

• 3 months later...
On 08/11/2017 at 5:10 PM, Ford Prefect said:

Hello y'all...Had my '09 IQ for two weeks now and absolutely LOVE it!

I am currently working on a secure, lockable 'cubby box'/armrest storage and going by the above posts/comments, I think you will be interested!

One issue I first noticed early on was the lack of a door handle specifically in windy weather, so have ordered a 2nd hand switch panel from

a later model...

Second was how awkward the audio 'joystick' is to use.... 

Solved that one cheaply with a stick on foot from Wilko's.

Am struggling with fitting my Viofo 119 dash cam and thinking of taking the power off the interior light but

I have the low voltage cut off to hide too, is there space in front of the light behind the headlining Guys?

Cheers!

s-l500.jpg

Sl370143S.jpg

Sl370146S.jpg

Sl370149S.jpg

3b85e7cs-960HL.jpg

I've fitted a Nextbase Dashcam from Halfords in my iQ, taking power from the 12v lighter socket - got a flat cable designed for speaker cables running through the dash, up the side of the screen, along the top and into where the interior light is - the power little box is wrapped in foam to prevent rattling and wedged to the left of the light, cable hanging down from front of headlining plugging into my Dashcam mounted behind the mirror.

If you have an iQ 2/3 mounting a Dashcam in front of the light sensor for auto-headlights does not affect it.

Am I right is saying the IQ took along time to gestate from a concept to a finished product? Because to me it shows,it looks like the design of the user interface was early on in the gestation. 

The controls for the radio and computer are two generations old and are not in anyway intuitive with the vehicle stationary , add in the process of driving and the whole lot becomes incomprehensible.

I agree with all the points raised above and would highlight the lack of lighting as poor design for a premium product.

Perhaps when I have owned the IQ for longer my views will moderate.

opps! I didn't realise this was dated from 2010

On 23/02/2018 at 7:57 AM, seamaster said:

"opps! I didn't realise this was dated from 2010"

Hi William...I had never seen (or noticed) one till 4 months ago! I was looking for a Smart (silly) car and clicked on the thumbnail and it wasn't a Smart car! It was 7 miles away so I went and had a look and decided to have it! I was looking for a Smart car to tow with my 'Motorhome', but the IQ beats it hands down!

On 22/02/2018 at 9:29 PM, iq_london said:

I've fitted a NextBase dashcam from Halfords in my iQ, taking power from the 12v lighter socket - got a flat cable designed for speaker cables running through the dash, up the side of the screen, along the top and into where the interior light is - the power little box is wrapped in foam to prevent rattling and wedged to the left of the light, cable hanging down from front of headlining plugging into my dashcam mounted behind the mirror.

If you have an iQ 2/3 mounting a dashcam in front of the light sensor for auto-headlights does not affect it.

"flat cable designed for speaker cables" What a Great idea! Will remember that one Ben!

I had fitted a 12v 'dimmable' lamp to the Dim interior standard light, and decided to take a feed off the circuit board for the A119 supply (fused of course!)....Just waiting for a grommet from eBay to finish the job off.(the headlining is quite thick so I didn't have one that stayed in!)

Also fitted extra power sockets after running a feed in from the Battery (Thanks to Motomatt & Soeley! )...Quite pleased with the job as I can have an extra 4 USB sockets or a ciggy lighter supply and 2 extra USB's! I needed a (live) ciggy socket as I am playing about with a solar panel topper upper... (just waiting for some sunshine Ha Ha!

2018-02-19-1144 RS.jpg

2018-02-18-1108 RS.jpg

Sl370167 RS.jpg