Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drl - Daytime Running Lights

wastedagen

Seeing as Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are popping up all over the place and are going to be compulsary on new vehicles manufactured from next year has anyone thought about fitting an aftermarket kit. Or by replacing the OEM H11 foglight bulbs with say a 21 LED H11 Unit. I understand this would still require the parking lights to be on to use the front fogs but would end up being the cheapest and easiest option.

I'm thinking about having a go but not sure which route to take....After ideas and pics...

I may end up replacing fogs if i can't find a nice asthetically pleasing kit to install.

Regards

Seeing as Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are popping up all over the place and are going to be compulsary on new vehicles manufactured from next year has anyone thought about fitting an aftermarket kit. Or by replacing the OEM H11 foglight bulbs with say a 21 LED H11 Unit. I understand this would still require the parking lights to be on to use the front fogs but would end up being the cheapest and easiest option.

I'm thinking about having a go but not sure which route to take....After ideas and pics...

I may end up replacing fogs if i can't find a nice asthetically pleasing kit to install.

Regards

Hi wastedagen,

The following on my car are now LEDs:-

Front side lights

Front fog

Rear brakes

Rear parking lights

Rear number plate lights

My Fog are LED H11s and they come at £40 a pair, there are more than 21 (more like 40+) LED on each bulbs for sure, and they are very bright. Check the pic between normal filament and LED fog lights and also front look.

My front side lights (you call it parking light) matches the fog in colour, both are very high power as far as LED are concerned and very white (not blue at all).

If you want to know where i got them from then let me know.

post-21237-127678517818_thumb.jpg

post-21237-127678518938_thumb.jpg

Regards

Hi wastedagen,

Front side lights

Front fog

Rear brakes

Rear parking lights

Rear number plate lights

My Fog are LED H11s and they come at £40 a pair, there are more than 21 (more like 40+) LED on each bulbs for sure, and they are very bright. Check the pic between normal filament and LED fog lights and also front look.

My front side lights (you call it parking light) matches the fog in colour, both are very high power as far as LED are concerned and very white (not blue at all).

Thanks for the reply and pics. Id like to add LED's to compliment my HID upgrade. I have a few questions for ya if you would be so kind:

* Do you use your fog lights as DRL now that they have LED's in them? Running in conjuction with your side lights.

* From where did you gain access to the fogs to replace the bulb. Underneath the car or from the wheel well? !Removed! plastic EVERYWHERE! :censor:

* In your pic of comparisons. I take it the middle one is OEM and the left and right pic are LED fitted. Yes they do seem nice and bright.

* Did you have to add an inline resistor to your sidelights LED. I.E. did the indicators flash fast to say that one was blown due to low current drain of LED.

* And yes can you please let me know where you go them from. Online I guess........

Kindest Regards

I am planning to install H11 LED DRLs aswell... My idea is to interchange the wires so that I'd route the headlight wires to my foggies and vice versa. I don't know yet if the operation will require extending the wires or not. After the mod my foggies will work like my headlights do now (eg. light up as I start my engine) and I will be able to switch on my headlights by turning the switch to parker mode (obviously my foglight switch will have to be in ON position). If I'll keep the foglight switch in ON all the time I will be able to control all of my lights using one switch (the headlight main switch).

I've allready made some before-after pics:

At the moment the lights work as follows

kuva1fo.jpg

After the mod they should be working like this

kuva2y.jpg

T Sport, could you please send me a PM re where did you find those superbright H11's?

I am planning to install H11 LED DRLs aswell... My idea is to interchange the wires so that I'd route the headlight wires to my foggies and vice versa. I don't know yet if the operation will require extending the wires or not. After the mod my foggies will work like my headlights do now (eg. light up as I start my engine) and I will be able to switch on my headlights by turning the switch to parker mode (obviously my foglight switch will have to be in ON position). If I'll keep the foglight switch in ON all the time I will be able to control all of my lights using one switch (the headlight main switch).

I've allready made some before-after pics:

At the moment the lights work as follows

kuva1fo.jpg

After the mod they should be working like this

kuva2y.jpg

T Sport, could you please send me a PM re where did you find those superbright H11's?

That seems like a sweet idea. I may have jump on your band wagon if all goes well. Seeing that both Lights and Fogs use the same bulbs and current draw, don't see why that wouldn't work. I'm sure you'll have to extend the wires though. But a bit of simple soldering never hurt anyone eh!

May confuse the hell out of the MOT guy though!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Foggy bulb change:

There is plastic cover which can be partially removed to reach the foggy bulb. Find one plastic clip (marked with yellow) and two screws (marked with red). Undo them.

52701685.jpg

Now the plastic cover is partially removed. You can pull it behind one of the screws so that it wouldn't be on your way.

21995502.jpg

It will pop out quite easily though so basically you'll have to be using one hand to keep it out of your way and work with only one hand and without seeing the bulb. But it is possible and quite easy actually. I suggest giving it a try! I've done the thing several times and I know at least one person who has done it aswell.

But a bit of simple soldering never hurt anyone eh!

Lol you're right re the MOT guy :D Better change them to stock though as I believe H11 DRLs aren't allowed to be used on public roads as they're illegal.

I wouldn't suggest soldering anything when you're modding your car. When you drive the car is shaking and it may make the connection to become worse and worse. You should use some special wire extenders which can be bought from almost every shop selling car parts. They look like this:

487138.jpg

But a bit of simple soldering never hurt anyone eh!

Lol you're right re the MOT guy :D Better change them to stock though as I believe H11 DRLs aren't allowed to be used on public roads as they're illegal.

I wouldn't suggest soldering anything when you're modding your car. When you drive the car is shaking and it may make the connection to become worse and worse. You should use some special wire extenders which can be bought from almost every shop selling car parts. They look like this:

487138.jpg

Yes I believe they are a bit naughty for road use. But so is my HID upgrade. I carry OEM bulbs in the boot in case I get stopped by the fuzz and I get a jobs worth. I can then quickly replace back to OEM. Hopefully let off with a warning............hehe

I just looked at the UK lights set up. You being from Finland ours is slightly different.

Our lights go 1: Off 2: Parking(Sidelights) 3: On 4: Auto

Our Fogs go 1: Off 2: front Fogs 3: Rear Fogs (Spring loaded. returns to #2 After rears are switched on)

Im guessing your idea wouldn't work 100% with our set up........who knows till someone tries it.

I would have thought that in this day and age where all the car electronics are controlled by CAN networks, it should just be a matter of going into diagnostics system, turning on the DRL mode and perhaps changing the main bean bulb to a slightly more durable bulb to cope with the additional usage... ??? has anyone checked this, before you start cutting into wires, and changing specification of usage of the lighting system. Also I am sure that there is legislation to say that the main lamps for a vehicle have to be at a minimum certain height of the ground, hence having Fog Lamps as day time running lamps would not be legal, and you could probably be pulled over by the constabulary... as they would see those lights as "very bright and annoying fog lamps being used in clear weather"...

I would have thought that in this day and age where all the car electronics are controlled by CAN networks, it should just be a matter of going into diagnostics system, turning on the DRL mode and perhaps changing the main bean bulb to a slightly more durable bulb to cope with the additional usage... ??? has anyone checked this, before you start cutting into wires, and changing specification of usage of the lighting system. Also I am sure that there is legislation to say that the main lamps for a vehicle have to be at a minimum certain height of the ground, hence having Fog Lamps as day time running lamps would not be legal, and you could probably be pulled over by the constabulary... as they would see those lights as "very bright and annoying fog lamps being used in clear weather"...

Aah! Buzz Kill.... :D I know all this will probaly get me a slap on the wrist, hence im surfing the web for proper DRL kits. Just that fogs as DRL is the easiest solution. Short of just driving around with my headlights on. :thumbsup:

Foggy bulb change:

There is plastic cover which can be partially removed to reach the foggy bulb. Find one plastic clip (marked with yellow) and two screws (marked with red). Undo them.

52701685.jpg

Now the plastic cover is partially removed. You can pull it behind one of the screws so that it wouldn't be on your way.

21995502.jpg

It will pop out quite easily though so basically you'll have to be using one hand to keep it out of your way and work with only one hand and without seeing the bulb. But it is possible and quite easy actually. I suggest giving it a try! I've done the thing several times and I know at least one person who has done it aswell.

Thanks for the pics. I'll get myself under the car and have a go real soon.

Kind Regards

I'm guessing that the requirement of DRL's is purely to do with motoring visibility? Although if that's the case then you really shouldn't be driving if you can't see other cars during the day.... :huh::lol:

Regards

Hi wastedagen,

Front side lights

Front fog

Rear brakes

Rear parking lights

Rear number plate lights

Thanks for the reply and pics. Id like to add LED's to compliment my HID upgrade. I have a few questions for ya if you would be so kind:

* Do you use your fog lights as DRL now that they have LED's in them? Running in conjuction with your side lights.

* From where did you gain access to the fogs to replace the bulb. Underneath the car or from the wheel well? !Removed! plastic EVERYWHERE! :censor:

* In your pic of comparisons. I take it the middle one is OEM and the left and right pic are LED fitted. Yes they do seem nice and bright.

* Did you have to add an inline resistor to your sidelights LED. I.E. did the indicators flash fast to say that one was blown due to low current drain of LED.

* And yes can you please let me know where you go them from. Online I guess........

Kindest Regards

Cheers mate,

*I only use my fog when I feel like it, I dont necessarily treat it like DRL but "poser light" :yahoo:

*The various pics showing access to the bolts are correct, once these are loose then I gained access inside the wheel arch. It wasnt easy.

*You do not need to use resistors for normal side lights, number plate light and parking lights, but you will do for indicators which was why i didnt bother.

*I have PM'd you.

Regards

Hi wastedagen,

Front side lights

Front fog

Rear brakes

Rear parking lights

Rear number plate lights

* From where did you gain access to the fogs to replace the bulb. Underneath the car or from the wheel well? Bloody plastic EVERYWHERE! :censor:

Kindest Regards

Cheers mate,

*I only use my fog when I feel like it, I dont necessarily treat it like DRL but "poser light" :yahoo:

*The various pics showing access to the bolts are correct, once these are loose then I gained access inside the wheel arch. It wasnt easy.

*You do not need to use resistors for normal side lights, number plate light and parking lights, but you will do for indicators which was why i didnt bother.

*I have PM'd you.

Using your foglights like this is illegal and they should only be used when weather conditions permit!

The Police traffic patrols take a very dim view of "posers" using fog lights in clear conditions :rolleyes:

Regards

Hi wastedagen,

Front side lights

Front fog

Rear brakes

Rear parking lights

Rear number plate lights

Kindest Regards

Cheers mate,

*I have PM'd you.

Using your foglights like this is illegal and they should only be used when weather conditions permit!

The Police traffic patrols take a very dim view of "posers" using fog lights in clear conditions :rolleyes:

Agreed, that is also partly the reason i dont use it much.

I will also add that NONE of these LED bulbs are E-Marked, which means they are NOT road legal. Use at your own risk.

The general rule is that as long as the colour of the lit bulb is not too off-white then police will not bother you.

I will also add that NONE of these LED bulbs are E-Marked, which means they are NOT road legal. Use at your own risk.

Is it possible to check the E-markings without removing the bulb? I guess it's quite difficult to see if checked just somewhere on the road...

Regards

Edit: I am still looking into a nice set of after market DRL and have started thinking about the work needed to fit them. How much access is there!, where to run the wiring etc.........

So much so I am contemplating removing my fog lights and plastic housing, buying a new blanking plate for bumpers who don't have fog lights / or making my own out of Carbon Fibre and then fitting a DRL kit.

But what I would like to add/ask is: I know that using your fog lights as DRL is technically illegal but why?

1) Is it because they're too low to the ground? Some Mercs and Audi's have really low DRL's.

2) Is it because the bulb is too bright or generally angled wrongly, thus blinding people? I can tilt my fog lights towards the ground.

3) Is it because of the way they are wired up. I.e. They come on only when side lights or head lights have been turned on?

If #3 is the reason, then would it be ok/legal to unplug the fog lights from the existing wiring loom and wire the fog lights via a DRL module to the igniton and side lights. (Ignition for +12v supply and side lights for a remote trigger to disable the DRL's as soon as the side lights come on.)

Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Thank You Kindly.

Regards

I know that using your fog lights as DRL is technically illegal but why?

1) Is it because they're too low to the ground? Some Mercs and Audi's have really low DRL's.

2) Is it because the bulb is too bright or generally angled wrongly, thus blinding people? I can tilt my fog lights towards the ground.

3) Is it because of the way they are wired up. I.e. They come on only when side lights or head lights have been turned on?

I believe that one of the reasons is that they're too close to the ground. As they're factory fitted too low on some of the new cars, it is quite problematic to state that they're illegal.

Another reason is that they do not have an E-mark which means that they're not approved to be legal for road use. This is very common when we're talking about LED bulbs, but there are some special DRLs which are road legal. You will have to make a custom install though, as these are not just bulbs but separate units.

LED bulbs are not bright. They do not blind anyone. They are made to make you seen, not to make you see. It is not because how they're being wired up. DRLs are allowed to be kept with your sidelights. There are two options, keep them on with your sidelights or without them (this includes also rear parkers), both are legal. The important thing is that the DRLs do turn off when you turn your low beams on.

I believe that one of the reasons is that they're too close to the ground.

As they're factory fitted too low on some of the new cars, it is quite problematic to state that they're illegal.

You will have to make a custom install though, as these are not just bulbs but separate units.

Ok custom install it is then. But if I do remove the fog lights and install in the same location won't these then be too low?

LED bulbs are not bright. They do not blind anyone. They are made to make you seen, not to make you see. It is not because how they're being wired up. DRLs are allowed to be kept with your sidelights. There are two options, keep them on with your sidelights or without them (this includes also rear parkers), both are legal. The important thing is that the DRLs do turn off when you turn your low beams on.

Thanks for the info Speed_Chaser, I guess i'll choose the 'off with side lights' option as and when I come to do the wiring. First lets start making some Blanking plates............

I believe that 25cm from the ground is minimum. You will have to check the height of your foggies to make sure if it's too low or not.

Why would you want to disable/remove your foggies if you'll install some custom lights? You could leave your foggies and use them during foggy weather...

I believe that 25cm from the ground is minimum. You will have to check the height of your foggies to make sure if it's too low or not.

Why would you want to disable/remove your foggies if you'll install some custom lights? You could leave your foggies and use them during foggy weather...

Because as I see it there is pretty much no room to install any DRL without first removing foggies and making my own blanking plate from carbon.

The approximate dimensions of what room there is:

dimensionsk.jpg

I just cant think of anything else to do without making it look too Heath Robinson. If you have any ideas or have seen something that would fit in that space please let me know.

If you're going to install them in that place you should make the surface even, so that the lights would be pointing straight. I dunno if it'll be possible to do that because it is very curved from factory. Some guys have installed their DRLs where the lower grill is. Don't know if it's legal though, as they are quite close to each other then.

If you're going to install them in that place you should make the surface even, so that the lights would be pointing straight. I dunno if it'll be possible to do that because it is very curved from factory. Some guys have installed their DRLs where the lower grill is. Don't know if it's legal though, as they are quite close to each other then.

I agree with the centre grille. I think it would be illegal too. As for the fog light area, yep when/if i make my own covers i will have to think about the angle it would shine forward. But i have all summer to make these things so no rush.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I actually bought Philips DRL kit and when I red the instructions, I noticed that there is no

way to install them legally. I was hoping to install them in lower grille, but they would be

too close to each other.. (60cm required distance apart)

So waiting to see if anyone got any ideas :help:

Or should I buy round DRLs and replace foglights as this guy has done

http://netti.nic.fi/~gordini/megane/drl_session_4.jpg

JAT, nice to see guys from Finland! Where are you from?

There aren't too many good spots on Auris, so replacing your foglights with round DRLs is a great idea. You'd have to find out some way to mount the DRLs and find round ones which are approved to be legal. Haven't investigated this so don't know if it's easy or not. For your sake I hope it is :thumbsup: