Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2D4D Fuel Economy

Sterry

Just purchased a Sept 2009 T Spirit 2.2 DCAT Auto - published combined fuel economy is around 45mpg - I am driving it extremely carefully but am only getting 35.6mpg on the trip computer - most of my driving is constant 70mph on the motorway - anyone else getting similar figures - should have spotted that the existing figure on the dashboard display was around 35mpg before I bought it.

And washer bottle leaks like a sieve

Very similar figures to the ones people are managing in the Auris/Verso sections.

Some people swear by the trip computer, others have found they are inaccurate. It may be best to determine where yours is with the old manual pen, paper and calculator for a few fill up's.........

Don`t rely heavily on the trip computer, on various Toyotas it is notoriously inaccurate (quite close on mine though). I usually use tank to tank calculations.

Even though its an Auto, sounds a bit low to me - could do with a bit more info, when was it last serviced, tyre pressures ok, gear used 5th/6th, is EGR valve in good condition (could be blocked) etc

I was supposed to collect my brand new car today but due to the EU not having completed the new paperwork for change to emmissions it still sits there. (or it could be Toyotas fault)

Anyway I have a 2010 2.2 D-Cat on loan with auto box which belongs to the sales manager and she told me the mpg is nowhere near the 2.0 litre diesel and this is around the mpg she is getting, car has only done 1,500 miles so still tight I assume but off to France next week so if this post is still near the top will let you know what the mileage is on my return.

Thanks - I was expecting it to be much worse than the 2.0D but was not prepared for the figures I am achieving - I have even resorted to inflating the tyres to the maximum recommended pressures to see if that helps

Thanks - I was expecting it to be much worse than the 2.0D but was not prepared for the figures I am achieving - I have even resorted to inflating the tyres to the maximum recommended pressures to see if that helps

Hi there,

try resetting the mpg computer because if the car has been driven very hard around town etc for a lot of miles before you aquired it it will take an age of steady driving to get to a better average. You may know how to do this but if not hold the function button in (whilst mpg is displayed) on the steering wheel for a couple of seconds to zero the mpg display, you may now over time see an improvement and a true figure for you driving style. Just an after thought, scroll the fuction button whilst driving on the motorway to the "momentory" mpg setting and you will see in real time what fuel is being used at that time.;)

EDIT. By the way I can better the Toyota mpg figures but mine is a manual gearbox, at a constant 70mph on the motorway I get 60mpg average with the cruise control on. I have tested the overall figures fillup to fillup, mileage taken on the trip meter and the computer is spot on.

Best regards Pete.

I pick my 2.0 litre diesel up today so taking back the 2.2 auto, the display has been showing between 37 to 39 mpg on the computer and this is reasonably steady driving but as this is sales managers car I suspect it has been used by various people and not treated to the best of driving methods.

Petes idea to reset computer if not already done seems good sense but as I said before according to staff in the dealership this model is not the most economical.

Good luck and I am sure in time providing there is nothing wrong your true mpg will improve.

Robin

dont forget published figures are an industry standard test done in controlled conditions ie a lad so you'll never match them in the real world with load, hills, wind resistance etc.

dont forget published figures are an industry standard test done in controlled conditions ie a lad so you'll never match them in the real world with load, hills, wind resistance etc.

Hello me again, I did another MPG test yesterday in my 2.2 d4d T-spirit manual gearbox which involved a 200 mile round trip into North Wales. I reset the average mpg on the computer before setting off on the journey which involved 60 miles of motorway, 120 miles on A roads and 20 miles of B roads, most of the trip I was able to use the cruise control and where possible it was set to 65 mph (1800 rpm) for 90% of the time. Before I hit the B roads The car was doing 62 mpg but my average for the whole trip was 59.4 mpg, if I hadn't done the "Italian tune up" thing up that long 2 mile climb at 80 mph in third gear I reckon I would have got 60 mpg, LOL! Anyway I am well pleased with the results and as I have mentioned before the computer figures are spot on with the manual fillup to fillup and mileage method, maybe some computers are not. 15 ltrs of fuel for 200 miles in a big 2.2 ltr car is brilliant in my book ..... especially when it's shaped like a brick.:D

That's it for now, not doing it again ... I'm just gonna drive it steady like I always do :thumbsup:.... Pete.

Hello me again, I did another MPG test yesterday in my 2.2 d4d T-spirit manual gearbox which involved a 200 mile round trip into North Wales. I reset the average mpg on the computer before setting off on the journey which involved 60 miles of motorway, 120 miles on A roads and 20 miles of B roads, most of the trip I was able to use the cruise control and where possible it was set to 65 mph (1800 rpm) for 90% of the time. Before I hit the B roads The car was doing 62 mpg but my average for the whole trip was 59.4 mpg, if I hadn't done the "Italian tune up" thing up that long 2 mile climb at 80 mph in third gear I reckon I would have got 60 mpg, LOL! Anyway I am well pleased with the results and as I have mentioned before the computer figures are spot on with the manual fillup to fillup and mileage method, maybe some computers are not. 15 ltrs of fuel for 200 miles in a big 2.2 ltr car is brilliant in my book ..... especially when it's shaped like a brick.:D

That's it for now, not doing it again ... I'm just gonna drive it steady like I always do :thumbsup:.... Pete.

Done the fill it up, empty the tank, fill it up again and get the calculator out - worked out at 35.8mpg - again mostly steady driving at around 75 on the motorway plus 40 mph on the A roads - including a long trip to Portsmouth and back - just have to live with the fact that I bought the wrong car for fuel economy

Done the fill it up, empty the tank, fill it up again and get the calculator out - worked out at 35.8mpg - again mostly steady driving at around 75 on the motorway plus 40 mph on the A roads - including a long trip to Portsmouth and back - just have to live with the fact that I bought the wrong car for fuel economy

I would check the basics have you got the right oil in the engine? Have you changed the Air filter recently ? If the engine cant breath then you;ll get poor mpg. Where are you buying your fuel from? I notice a difference between supermarket and Shell. There is also a big difference between winter and summer fuels.

But the biggest question is what gear are you using? I wouldnt bother using 6th unless doing 80mph+ below that use 5th and you should notice a bit of difference in the mpg. Also dont strain the engine I know loads of poeple driving this at 1600-1800-rpm, but I find giving it a bit more 2-2k revs, again is better for the mpg.

The last one is is the EGR clean? Again ive found this makes a bit of a difference. Theres pleanty of threads on here about cleaning it.

Over the winter early part of this year i was down to 35mpg (mostly town driving too), but with a change to the hot weather and doing most of the above mine is back to 42mpg which is cracking for town/A road driving. The mpg goes higher when I do some miles on the motor way. Got 47mpg on a recent run to the lakes and back.

(edited for spelling)

I have a D4D TS3 07 plate manuel, and get 60mpg on long runs, or when I'm away holiday etc, but around town this drops anywhere between 38mpg to 36mpg.

My sat nav also matches the miles, but dont forget about the AC, as that would use some, aswell.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links