Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There's Nothing Like A Good Cuppa. Oh Yeah?

Bizarra

Drinking tea 'raises risk of arthritis'

By Jane Kirby in Rome

Friday June 18 2010

Drinking a lot of tea increases the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis, researchers said yesterday.

A US study of more than 76,000 women found consuming tea raised the risk, while drinking coffee had no impact.

Tea-lovers who enjoyed more than four cups a day had the highest risk -- being 78pc more likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis than those who drank none. But drinking any amount of tea increased the chance by 40pc, compared with people who never drank tea.

The findings were presented at the Annual Congress of the European League Against Rheumatism in Rome.

Professor Christopher Collins, from Georgetown University Medical Centre in the US, said he was surprised by the differences between coffee and tea.

He said: "We set out to determine whether tea or coffee consumption, or the method of preparation of the drinks was associated with an increased risk of (rheumatoid arthritis).

"It is surprising that we saw such differences in results between tea and coffee drinkers.

"This does make us wonder what it is in tea, or in the method of preparation of tea that causes the significant increase in risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis."

The researchers also examined whether filtered coffee versus unfiltered coffee affected the results, and also looked at the impact of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee.

However, they found no significant associations with rheumatoid arthritis. The women in the study were aged 50 to 79 and filled in questionnaires on their daily intake of coffee and tea.

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, progressive and disabling auto-immune disease and three times more women get it than men. It usually starts between the ages of 40 and 60.

Damage

The disease can cause swelling and damage to the cartilage and bone around the joints, most commonly the hands, feet and wrists.

Prof Collins said he did not recommend that people change their tea-drinking habits based on the research.

"I would not suggest that people do anything differently until we have more data, until there have been other studies.

"This is one more piece in the puzzle of why people develop rheumatoid arthritis.

"This was an unusual and complex finding but, from the data we have, there is a relationship between tea and the disease.

"There have been other studies which have either stated that tea has no effect on risk of arthritis, and one study which found tea had a protective effect." He said the team had looked for supporting information that could explain their own findings.

"We found a study which said that an increased intake of flavonoids -- which are in tea -- from various sources resulted in an increased risk of rheumatoid arthritis."

The team had analysed data on caffeine separately and had found no link, suggesting it was something specific to tea, he added.

- Jane Kirby in Rome

Irish Independent

So sad old gits drink tea...

We knew that :D

No wonder Ih ave dodgy ankles and knees, at least I now know there is a good reason...... I do drink a fair few cuppa's during an average day ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

We knew that :D

Ergo :lol: I don't come under the above category :yahoo:

I drink only black coffee without sugar, water or Red wine :yahoo:

We knew that biggrin.gif

Ergo laugh.gif I don't come under the above category yahoo.gif

I drink only black coffee without sugar, water or Red wine yahoo.gif

Bizarra, did anyone mention you,

We all have the greatest respect for one of the leading lights of this happy little community thumbsup.gif

We knew that biggrin.gif

We all have the greatest respect for one of the leading lights of this happy little community thumbsup.gif

:oops: Must be my Ego :laughing: I assume that all ageist insults are aimed in my direction :crybaby::help::bash:

We knew that biggrin.gif

oops.gif Must be my Ego laughing.gif I assume that all ageist insults are aimed in my direction crybaby.gifhelpsmilie.gifbash.gif

To be honest most are biggrin.gif

Iv'e been called a lot worse and often :wacko: sadly i love a cup of tea , i also suffer from Arthritis :( , its difficult what to believe with these reports though , some reports will say that this is good for you while others will contradict and say its not , everything in moderation i say .

There's various things one can do to help aleviate the effects of arthritis , one of which is diet , i'e eating foods high in omega-3 nutrients such as oily fish , Also have a click on this link to see what other infammatory foods can help i'e Kelp & turmaric http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-anti-inflammatory-foods.htm , plus supplements such as Glucosamine & Chondroitin , i find the liquid ones work best for me , they are said to be absorbed into the body far quicker than in tablet form , i was using one bought from costco's for a couple of years and my condidtion eased considerably , then a around 5 months ago they stopped selling it and i can tell that my condition worsened quite quickly , i tried in vane to source the product but failed and ended up trying different brands one was from a company called Healthspan which did nothing to help the other was from Holland & Barrett which did help , however the Holland & Barratt one Tastes absolutely disgusting , they describe it as " delicious fruit punch flavour " their having a !Removed! laugh it tastes like no fruit punch that i've ever tasted , the only way i could take it was to dilute it in water then knock it back without touching the sides :wacko: Yuk :yucky: .

Anyway Costco's have started to sell the liquid version again :yahoo: Although with slghtly different ingredients and under a different name ( wellesse , it was previously made by Symtec ) The other thing one can also do to help is to avoid infammatory foods such as sugars and cooking oils , see Link http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-inflammatory-foods-to-avoid.htm

Iv'e been called a lot worse and often wacko.gif sadly i love a cup of tea , i also suffer from Arthritis sad.gif , its difficult what to believe with these reports though , some reports will say that this is good for you while others will contradict and say its not , everything in moderation i say .

There's various things one can do to help aleviate the effects of arthritis , one of which is diet , i'e eating foods high in omega-3 nutrients such as oily fish , Also have a click on this link to see what other infammatory foods can help i'e Kelp & turmaric http://theconsciousl...atory-foods.htm , plus supplements such as Glucosamine & Chondroitin , i find the liquid ones work best for me , they are said to be absorbed into the body far quicker than in tablet form , i was using one bought from costco's for a couple of years and my condidtion eased considerably , then a around 5 months ago they stopped selling it and i can tell that my condition worsened quite quickly , i tried in vane to source the product but failed and ended up trying different brands one was from a company called Healthspan which did nothing to help the other was from Holland & Barrett which did help , however the Holland & Barratt one Tastes absolutely disgusting , they describe it as " delicious fruit punch flavour " their having a bloody laugh it tastes like no fruit punch that i've ever tasted , the only way i could take it was to dilute it in water then knock it back without touching the sides wacko.gif Yuk yucky.gif .

Anyway Costco's have started to sell the liquid version again yahoo.gif Although with slghtly different ingredients and under a different name ( wellesse , it was previously made by Symtec ) The other thing one can also do to help is to avoid infammatory foods such as sugars and cooking oils , see Link http://theconsciousl...ds-to-avoid.htm

I note the girl on you Avatar seem to have Arthritis as well.... eek.gif Look at the way her poor hands are cupped wink.gif

Iv'e been called a lot worse and often wacko.gif sadly i love a cup of tea , i also suffer from Arthritis sad.gif , its difficult what to believe with these reports though , some reports will say that this is good for you while others will contradict and say its not , everything in moderation i say .

There's various things one can do to help aleviate the effects of arthritis , one of which is diet , i'e eating foods high in omega-3 nutrients such as oily fish , Also have a click on this link to see what other anti-infammatory foods can help i'e Kelp & turmeric http://theconsciousl...atory-foods.htm , plus supplements such as Glucosamine & Chondroitin , i find the liquid ones work best for me , they are said to be absorbed into the body far quicker than in tablet form , i was using one bought from costco's for a couple of years and my condidtion eased considerably , then around 5 months ago they stopped selling it and i can tell you that my condition worsened quite quickly , i tried in vane to source the product but failed and ended up trying different brands one was from a company called Healthspan which did nothing to help the other was from Holland & Barrett which did help , however the Holland & Barratt one Tastes absolutely disgusting , they describe it as " delicious fruit punch flavour " their having a !Removed! laugh it tastes like no fruit punch that i've ever tasted , the only way i could take it was to dilute it in water then knock it back without touching the sides wacko.gif Yuk yucky.gif .

Anyway Costco's have started to sell the liquid version again yahoo.gif Although with slghtly different ingredients and under a different name ( wellesse , it was previously made by Symtec ) The other thing one can also do to help is to avoid infammatory foods such as sugars and cooking oils , see Link http://theconsciousl...ds-to-avoid.htm

I note the girl on you Avatar seem to have Arthritis as well.... eek.gif Look at the way her poor hands are cupped wink.gif

:lol: thanks for that , you've saved me a bit of time , in that i won't have to visit your joke page for my daily fix :thumbsup::lol: