Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla T Sport

Harvey-aw11

Bought a 53 plate T sport on tuesday.

All has seemed fine with it until today it has decided to die! It cut out on me, and then died, started again butsounded rough, so parked up. Wont idle, try to tart again sounds nasty, almost like a rattling exhaust. I know quite a bit about engines, and fearing could be the bottom end!

I know they are prone to the oil pump going, just hoping its not this. Hoping maybe something like a broke chain tensioner.

I have trawled the net trying to find info on the 2zzge, but other then the oil pump, there seems to be no records of 2zzge weaknesses or comon issues, so wondering if any one of here has seen/heard similar.

Its currently at a diagnostics garage, they are gonna check it over (requested by dealer i bought of). It should all be warranted but still a real nuisance. Toyota engines done generally fail (this is about my 5th toyota!) especially as its only done 70k miles!!

Any inputs appreciated.

Thats odd, any engine lights?

Carry out a leak down and compression test aswell, It is unlikely was it ever run low on oil? What grade of oil have you been using, so many different factors would need more info to narrow it down. thumbsup.gif

I only got the car tues so havent a clue what oil has been used or if run low. From the dealer the oil was full to the brim right on the max mark.

Not sure about engine light, it did come on so will see what the diagnostics pulls!

It deffo sounds like a mechanical issue/break so wouldnt have thought be MAF?

Just talking to a mate of mine is making me think. He asked 'you sure it wasnt just misfring badly'

Which made me think. It would rattle on start up, which presumably the well complained about heatshield! So wondering if was misfiring badly the nasty sound could be the exhaust/heatshield rattling around.

When it died, it had like hit the rev limit, but a reduced one, around 7k rpm (it was fully warmed up so not the temp imposed one) and then died.

so, nrgizerbunny, you asked about MAF. Are they quite prone to going? Presumabl it will show up on the diagnostics when run. Fingers crossed i am hoping its something like this!!

the maf sensor can make it rattle and it won't show up on diagnostics, the signal will be present and you won't show up any codes.

to rule out the maf, disconnect it restart the car and it will engage limp mode. If it still rattles then it isn't the maf sensor.

the maf sensor can make it rattle and it won't show up on diagnostics, the signal will be present and you won't show up any codes.

to rule out the maf, disconnect it restart the car and it will engage limp mode. If it still rattles then it isn't the maf sensor.

Ah ok, cheers mate i will give that a try tomoz if they are open!

Thanks again;

Harvey