Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Shock Absorber

redlew

I have been told that one of my shock absorbers is leaking and have been quoted £239 by Mr T to have it replaced.

A couple of questions-

1. I thought it was usual to have them to replaced in pairs -in which case I'm looking at nearly £500.Is it ok just have one replaced (mileage 50K)

2. Is £239 fair -or should I go to a local independent? If so, do I need exactly the same make?

Thanks

not sure about recent RAVs but the 4.1 front shocks were only replaced as a whole with the front strut by Toyota. However I replaced the shocks with adjustable Konis at a considerably cheaper price. The rear shocks are easy to replace. The front ones were just a little more tricky but still easy.

Redlew what car have you got? )better still just change your profile). Is this a front or rear shocker?

Profile hopefully updated -if not mark 2 2005 diesel XTR. It is the n/s/f which I assume translates as near side front.

Thanks

Profile hopefully updated -if not mark 2 2005 diesel XTR. It is the n/s/f which I assume translates as near side front.

Thanks

personally I would change both fronts, if the mileage is approaching 50k or above.... and then I read your first post and see its exactly 50k!! :shutit: :lol:

I'd look to do both, but check out if the strut can be dismantled to just change the shocks.

Take care. They can appear damp for years. If you pop in your local garage and ask for their opinion regarding MOT and a price it will give you a starting point. If it really is "leaking" they should be fitted in pairs. If Mr T has quoted you it might be for a pair (as it should be) and they sometimes finish up with a full alignment check so that lot wouldn't be bad value. Phone and ask them what it includes?

• 7 months later...

Take care. They can appear damp for years. If you pop in your local garage and ask for their opinion regarding MOT and a price it will give you a starting point. If it really is "leaking" they should be fitted in pairs. If Mr T has quoted you it might be for a pair (as it should be) and they sometimes finish up with a full alignment check so that lot wouldn't be bad value. Phone and ask them what it includes?

Hi guys,

Sorry to jump in on your thread:-) New to the forum.

Have had a similar problem with my Rav 4 2005 XT5. It only has 30k miles and not raced nor rallied. I was taken aback when I was told the front near side shock had burst. Got them both replaced as a pair as the chap who did them said that was the norm. The cost was £ 250 in vat and labour.

My Rav is only 5 years old with low mileage for the age..why have they gone already? Is this a common fault?

What else can go wrong? Am gutted as she has only cost me tyres and servicing from new.

Thanks in advance. Cheers:-)

Welcome to the club.

The shocks rarely "burst" but are more likely to weep. Some garages get a bit over enthusiastic about such thing and as the test is subjective it is an open cheque book. I can well imagine that had they been selling the car on it would have been tested as it was. You are relying on somebody being honest with you and that doesn't always happen. You can often find a damp patch on a shocker if you look hard enough and sometimes lower mileage is worse as the seals dry out.

not sure about recent RAVs but the 4.1 front shocks were only replaced as a whole with the front strut by Toyota. However I replaced the shocks with adjustable Konis at a considerably cheaper price. The rear shocks are easy to replace. The front ones were just a little more tricky but still easy.

Im going to be bad and jump this thread a bit too. Apologies.

Bothy, the konis you put on the front, were they a complete new shock, strut assembly?

or just an upgraded insert to put in the original shock?

I had a bit of a disaster last year with Spax who gave me an upgraded front strut insert only for me then to find out I had non servicable units on my Rav and Spax dont do a complete new unit.

Im going to be bad and jump this thread a bit too. Apologies.

Bothy, the konis you put on the front, were they a complete new shock, strut assembly?

or just an upgraded insert to put in the original shock?

I had a bit of a disaster last year with Spax who gave me an upgraded front strut insert only for me then to find out I had non servicable units on my Rav and Spax dont do a complete new unit.

I removed each strut as a unit and then un-did (undone?) the large nut thing with a massive wrench to take the strut apart. Of course before doing so, I removed the spring using spring compressors. The strut came apart despite the local dealer saying they didn't come apart amd must be renewed as a complete unit.

Having taken the strut apart, I was able to remove the old shock absorber and insert the adjustable koni with the adjusting screw sticking out the top. I re-assembled the strut and also replaced the spring seats top and bottom - jst cos it seemed a good time to do it and replaced the plate and bearing at the top of the strut - to wing.

Using the wrench and my old but trusty vice, the struts came apart not tool badly. Torqued up all the bolys to the recommended and that must have been 3-5 years ago. Since then the number 1 RAV has been thrashed around roads and tracks with no bother at all... and the Konis are set to hard/very stiff.

The original struts from 1994 are still there; still intact and housing the Konis nicely. Since then I don't think I've replaced a front spring - just the rear that broke.... memory is poor just now as I do the accounts for the charity and all I can think of is the VAT % !!!!!

Ah, thats where I had a wee bit of difference, when i removed the whole unit, I couldnt see any large nut to dissasemble the shock unit to remove the strut insert. It was more like crimped metal, a bit of "googling" and flick through the old Haynes manual told me a had "non-servicable" units.

Bit of a pain, because I cant seem to find any sport suspension that comes as complete assembly - only strut inserts.

Welcome to the club.

The shocks rarely "burst" but are more likely to weep. Some garages get a bit over enthusiastic about such thing and as the test is subjective it is an open cheque book. I can well imagine that had they been selling the car on it would have been tested as it was. You are relying on somebody being honest with you and that doesn't always happen. You can often find a damp patch on a shocker if you look hard enough and sometimes lower mileage is worse as the seals dry out.

Thanks for the reply, Anchorman:-)

It was me who noticed something was up with the front end. I thought the tracking/allignment was out as the front was felt really loose. Too loose infact as my Rav usually feels very planted. Previous to that there was black fluid under my side steps...connected or not? It was the garage who suggested they had "burst"=P Dramatising it, I suppose.

The seals drying out makes sense, have had that happen on a motorbike. There are downsides to lower mileage as well as ups. The shocks are now fitted and bright yellow! Stand out a mile on a dark grey car!

Cheers:-)

Ah, thats where I had a wee bit of difference, when i removed the whole unit, I couldnt see any large nut to dissasemble the shock unit to remove the strut insert. It was more like crimped metal, a bit of "googling" and flick through the old Haynes manual told me a had "non-servicable" units.

Bit of a pain, because I cant seem to find any sport suspension that comes as complete assembly - only strut inserts.

Mine looked like a crimped thing as well until I attacked it. Any photos ???

The Haynes manual also as you say told me it couldn't be done.... but it got done !

I would imagine the struts on the 4.1 are interchangeable as well .

The Toyota dealer locally had told me the struts were a complete assembly but they weren't - these things have to be assembled in the first place.

Number 1 RAV is in the garage getting its rear brakes sorted + a service in readiness for some low flying. I'll have a look if I have photos of the struts anywhere. If yer down this way, am happy to have a look/compare. Equally if I know I'm coming up your way, I'll let you know (you'll probably hear me first!)