Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many Miles To A Tank?

Andyf3854

I was wondering if everyone else is getting a similar mileage to me? I have a 54 reg Rav4 XT3 2.0 petrol mannual (5 door). last time I filled up the needle was just just about at the bottom (no light on yet though)and I had managed 255 miles. I put in 43 litres so am getting about 27 mpg, I did no motorway driving though. I know the gauge can't really relied on but I was just curious to see if others were getting about the same. I had the oxygen sensor changed a while ago but it hasn't made any difference.

THey aren't brilliant. Its a big mauling car with permanent 4WD so its all you can expect really. Keep it well serviced (particularly the air filter) and the tyre pressure bang on.

Think yerself lucky - my number 2 RAV gets around 200 miles on a tank of V-power. At the moment the racing RAV is getting 160 miles a tank..not good...but its back in the garage to get things checked out as there is a problem with it....it should also be hitting around 200m / tankful. And my RAVs are 3 door = much lighter than yours! I suppose its the extra cost of having 5 doors?

Thanks for the replies, I don't feel so bad now! We have had a couple of problems with the Rav and I thought this may be another one. Now I know it's normal I just need to sort the dodgey steering and it will be fine!

What is your 'Racing Rav?' sounds interesting.

It's fairly normal for us petrol boys I'm afraid. I love watching these car progs when they get 1k+ miles on a tank from a diesel!

What is your 'Racing Rav?' sounds interesting.

Try riding in it :eek:

I thought I had trouble ! I get 230/40 on a full tank if in local country area - but 250 or more if on a trip so I guess my RAV is doing well. I add that I am known to be a bit of a speed freak on the motorways so it isn't all careful driving that gives the savings.

I was wondering if everyone else is getting a similar mileage to me? I have a 54 reg Rav4 XT3 2.0 petrol mannual (5 door). last time I filled up the needle was just just about at the bottom (no light on yet though)and I had managed 255 miles. I put in 43 litres so am getting about 27 mpg, I did no motorway driving though. I know the gauge can't really relied on but I was just curious to see if others were getting about the same. I had the oxygen sensor changed a while ago but it hasn't made any difference.

Mines a 2001 2ltr petrol i get around 24 mpg always have done,i have asked various people in the know they say it's about right.I can get a bit more than 24mpg by driving extremely carefully but it's no fun :)

Hi Andy,

Our same model 4.2 XT3 petrol does 32/33mpg. Its usage tends to be as gentle as I can manage to get that far - dual carriageway (albeit very hilly) at no more than 65mph and than country lanes, including the villainous slow steep and twisty ones around Dartmoor, taken in sedate vicar mode. Fortunately I very rarely have to do stop start urban motoring. I don't doubt that a sixth gear would have helped as in 5th is starting to rev a bit by 70mph but as Ancs has noted it is a big lump with lots of transmission bits to be driven round before anything reaches the wheels. The aerodynamic properties of the proverbial brick outhouse won't help either. 27mpg if you don't have favourable driving conditions or are hurrying on a bit is probably about right.

Two bits of consolation for you though! Firstly I am astonished at how long the tyres last so there is a big saving there to offset against the fuel bills. Secondly the next time you are in heavy traffic in the pouring rain you will know that you are driving a car that is a lot better in those conditions than most around you and that with its high driving position you can see over the spray - lesser mortals can't. Enjoy the beastie!

I was wondering if everyone else is getting a similar mileage to me?  I have a 54 reg Rav4 XT3 2.0 petrol mannual (5 door). last time I filled up the needle was just just about at the bottom (no light on yet though)and I had managed 255 miles.  I put in 43 litres so am getting about 27 mpg, I did no motorway driving though.  I know the gauge can't really relied on but I was just curious to see if others were getting about the same.  I had the oxygen sensor changed a while ago but it hasn't made any difference.

I found the petrol gauge very pessimistic when it came to the warning light and relied on my Scangauge instead.  On a really economical run I found I got 330 miles out of a tank but it was very close to empty.  I used to reckon on 300 miles as an achievable range but it is a poor range really and the car needs a bigger tank. 

On my new car I do 650-700 miles on a single tank with ease which means you can be far more picky with how much you pay for a refill  (300 mile range means Motorway prices when doing the M6/M5 run  :censor: )

sorry - been busy... the racing rav is the 400bhp beast that I have. The 2nd RAV I have is similar to the RAV that ancs was a passenger in a wee while ago, but thats only shoving out around 270bhp.

You'll see it on youtube by searching for RAV4 and Crail.

I was wondering if everyone else is getting a similar mileage to me?  I have a 54 reg Rav4 XT3 2.0 petrol mannual (5 door). last time I filled up the needle was just just about at the bottom (no light on yet though)and I had managed 255 miles.  I put in 43 litres so am getting about 27 mpg, I did no motorway driving though.  I know the gauge can't really relied on but I was just curious to see if others were getting about the same.  I had the oxygen sensor changed a while ago but it hasn't made any difference.

I found the petrol gauge very pessimistic when it came to the warning light and relied on my Scangauge instead.  On a really economical run I found I got 330 miles out of a tank but it was very close to empty.  I used to reckon on 300 miles as an achievable range but it is a poor range really and the car needs a bigger tank. 

On my new car I do 650-700 miles on a single tank with ease which means you can be far more picky with how much you pay for a refill  (300 mile range means Motorway prices when doing the M6/M5 run  :censor: )

I noticed a similar thing with my car (the Rav4 is actually the wife's), it was just on the red but I could only squeeze in 44 litres and it has a 55 litre tank. I had done 350 miles but worked out that I should be able to do about another 100 miles on the 11 litres that were left. The gauge made it look like I was empty. I did a similar thing with the Rav4 and worked out that agin there was more fuel left than I thought and that I should be able to get about 330 miles to a full tank.

sorry - been busy... the racing rav is the 400bhp beast that I have. The 2nd RAV I have is similar to the RAV that ancs was a passenger in a wee while ago, but thats only shoving out around 270bhp.

You'll see it on youtube by searching for RAV4 and Crail.

Just had a look at that, WOW! that is fast!

Hi Andy,

Our same model 4.2 XT3 petrol does 32/33mpg. Its usage tends to be as gentle as I can manage to get that far - dual carriageway (albeit very hilly) at no more than 65mph and than country lanes, including the villainous slow steep and twisty ones around Dartmoor, taken in sedate vicar mode. Fortunately I very rarely have to do stop start urban motoring. I don't doubt that a sixth gear would have helped as in 5th is starting to rev a bit by 70mph but as Ancs has noted it is a big lump with lots of transmission bits to be driven round before anything reaches the wheels. The aerodynamic properties of the proverbial brick outhouse won't help either. 27mpg if you don't have favourable driving conditions or are hurrying on a bit is probably about right.

Two bits of consolation for you though! Firstly I am astonished at how long the tyres last so there is a big saving there to offset against the fuel bills. Secondly the next time you are in heavy traffic in the pouring rain you will know that you are driving a car that is a lot better in those conditions than most around you and that with its high driving position you can see over the spray - lesser mortals can't. Enjoy the beastie!

This is also true, the feeling of smugness (and the feeling of not being stressed thinking I wasn't going to get home) during the snow we had was worth the cost of the fuel!

• 3 months later...

Ye Gods! You lot must have divers boots on when you are driving! If I don't get 400-450 miles on a tank-full (2.0L petrol 2005 RAV4) I'd think I'd left the hand-brake on.....Calais to Switzerland (Basel) on one tank, no problem.

I have just driven 270 miles to Cornwall. Used just half a tank (although it was the top half which is bigger)!!!

Computer reckons it averaged 56.5mpg but that is bull poo! Using the same error from the last calcs, it works out about 46.5mpg. Still pretty impressed with the big oil burner!!!

My 2006 2.2 D4D Rav4 does about 420 miles on a tank, which is approx 42mpg. The dash dispay shows 55.6 MPG how can it be so far out :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mathew

Thats an old chestnut - let shcm answer that :thumbsup:

Mine did 495 miles between here and Kevs at the weekend and ended up with 8 litres in despite the needle being bent around the empty pin for about 40 miles. It was 43ish by calculation and the cruise was set at 75ish most of the time.

Thats an old chestnut - let shcm answer that :thumbsup:

What again???? :D :thumbsup:

I think the short answer is that we are not entirely sure. It would appear to be based on injector pulse widths @ No.1 injector, but there are a whole heap of factors that could influence the error - e.g. say general wear, reported rail pressure to the EMS at one end of tolerance, fuel quality, blah, blah.................

A lot (but not all) of the 130 D4Ds would appear to read high. Some of the 150 D4Ds would now appear to be reading low. Mine reads about 7% low.

I did 491 miles down from Isle of Skye, with the light just coming on with my previous 130 D4D. If you were gentle with it, the 130 D4D would do about 50mpg on that run.

Thr 150 D4D did just shy of 54mpg up to Inverness recently, but the weather was **** on the way, so it may do better. Refuelled around Cumbernauld so didn't use full tank range, but it was calculating a total of about 540 mile range (cover + indicated ramaining), possibly more - can't remember exactly.

Almost an actual 40mpg with the cruise control set to a GPS 70mph on the trip up from Lancashire to Aberdeen last weekend. That was indiicating just above 75mph. Set to GPS 70 so the speed camera warnings weren't permanaently going off on the A90 from Dundee.

Had to watch out for the 50mph short stretch :eek:

So my guessing is the range would be 500 miles, with the gauge showing 3/4 was after 150 miles, 1/2 after 230 miles and 1/4 left after 330 miles. Pity my Rav4 doesn't have the range to empty like my Yaris had :( And the mpg gauge was showing about 43mpg

Right, I've just got 415 miles from 45.35 litres so pretty much bang on 10 gallons. So about 41.6mpg for 270 miles on m5/a30 at 70ish and the other 145 miles driving around Cornwall the past few days, up and down cliff roads!

At one point on the m5 it did show 59mpg average whilst cruising at about 72mph on the dash so that would be about 48.5mpg at 68mph in real terms. I would be happy with that...

Does that sound reasonable and pretty much on par for a 2.2 d4d 130?