Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Rolling Back In D

doddie82

Hi all,

I am now the owner of a 2006 vvti xt4 auto with 32000miles.

I am wandering is there a problem with my car, i was in traffic and on a hill i had to come to a stop i breaked and kept my foot on the break.... took foot off to put gas on and the car rolled backward???? while i D is that normal for the rav4 or is there a problem?

Neil

Cheers

You don't say how steep the hill was :huh:

An automatic is not a perfect set up and will roll back a little if the hill is even moderately steep. I have owned autos for over 25 years and they all do it. I doubt you have a problem but you may want to check the gearbox oil level just in case. Make sure you follow the instructions in the handbook as not all boxes are checked in exactly the same way.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club.

You have bought a really good car with your XT4.

It depends how steep it is. On the flat with it in gear and the handbrake off, it should "creep", i.e. just take up the drive and creep forward. On a slope it might just hold its own weight but as the slope gets steeper it will overcome the power of the connected engine and roll back.

Don't forget that all post 2006 models including those with manual transmission (except XT3s) are equipped with HIC (hill assist control). To operate it, you must have the handbrake off. Simply press the foot brake HARD until you hear a bleep. This activates the HIC. Once activated you only need to keep enough pressure on the pedal to keep the brake light on but you will in fact have locked up all 4 wheels solidly. If you release the brake, they will release after 2 seconds, you will hear 2 bleeps, the brakes will release and the car will roll back. However, if you don't release them the brakes will remain firmly applied until you are ready to start. In this case, take your foot off the brake, move it accross to the accelerator and gently press the accelerator until you hear the two bleeps. The brake will release and you will drive away normally. Its a sort of handbrake start but off the foot brake and once used to it you will use it all the time.

Enjoy your new car.

Hi

Thank you for your relpies, have tried it and what a great tool. cheers.

Neil