Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Key

lilo

Hi,

I am the happy owner of a Yaris but the remote control buttons on the key are worn off. The Toyota dealer asked way too much money to replace the key so I decided to try the Mac Gyver way.

I bought another Yaris key on eBay for 20 pounds. Of course the blade and the electronic parts are different but I was only interested in the buttons... Inside the key there's a little box containing an electronic circuit and the buttons are attached to the upper cover of this box... So this is the only part I changed. I also bought a new Battery.

Now the remote control works perfectly, opens/closes the doors but THE CAR WON'T START!!!

Does anyone have a clue of what's going on?

Thanks for your help!

How long was the unit left unpowered?

I could be wrong here but I think that there's a time limit on how long the Battery can be removed/discharged before the unit requires reprogramming, what is confusing is that part of the function works i.e. locks and unlocks the doors, so i am really not that sure if my theory is correct here, but I still found it worth mentioning.

Hope that hasn't confused matters worse.

There used to be a guide on this forum a while ago(try and use the search feature) and I have seen these instructions for sale on eBay from time to time but as I have never had the need to use them then I can't be sure they work.

By the way do you have the master key? What model year of yaris e.g. is it a mk1 or mk2 as the instuctions are different?

Hi,

I am the happy owner of a Yaris but the remote control buttons on the key are worn off. The Toyota dealer asked way too much money to replace the key so I decided to try the Mac Gyver way.

I bought another Yaris key on ebay for 20 pounds. Of course the blade and the electronic parts are different but I was only interested in the buttons... Inside the key there's a little box containing an electronic circuit and the buttons are attached to the upper cover of this box... So this is the only part I changed. I also bought a new battery.

Now the remote control works perfectly, opens/closes the doors but THE CAR WON'T START!!!

Thanks for your help!

SOUNDS LIKE YOU'VE REMOVED THE TRANSPONER CHIP PART OF THE KEY , THE REMOTE LOCKING AND IMOBILIZER ARE SEPERATE TO SOME DEGREE AND IT DOESNT MATTER HOW LONG YOU LEAVE THE Battery OUT WITH THE IMOBILZER ONLY THE CENTRAL LOCKING WILL GO OUT OF SINK

SWAP EVERY THINGBACK THE CAR SHOULD STILL START HOPE IVE HELPED :blink:

Hi,

I bought another Yaris key on ebay for 20 pounds. Of course the blade and the electronic parts are different but I was only interested in the buttons... Inside the key there's a little box containing an electronic circuit and the buttons are attached to the upper cover of this box... So this is the only part I changed. I also bought a new battery.

Thanks for your help!

SOUNDS LIKE YOU'VE REMOVED THE TRANSPONER CHIP PART OF THE KEY , THE REMOTE LOCKING AND IMOBILIZER ARE SEPERATE TO SOME DEGREE AND IT DOESNT MATTER HOW LONG YOU LEAVE THE Battery OUT WITH THE IMOBILZER ONLY THE CENTRAL LOCKING WILL GO OUT OF SINK

SWAP EVERY THINGBACK THE CAR SHOULD STILL START HOPE IVE HELPED :blink:

If you have the Master Key then it shouldn't be a problem to reprogram the key. You can check if the key needs programming is my checking the immobilizer light. The red light which turns on as soon as the ignition key is removed. If when you place the key in the ignition, this light turns off then you do not need to reprogram it. If on the other hand it remains flickering then you have to reprogram it. It is quite easy to do it. I just did mine a month ago.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links