Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Engine For Land Cruiser After 30,000 Miles

sebos

Can anyone suggest a cause for our 2006 30,000 mile Land cruiser invinsible needing a new engine, the car has a FTSH. We were driving back from France on the motorway when I felt a large vibration, plumes of smoke seen in rear view mirror. We got the car to a Toyota garage in France and they diagnosed faulty injectors. The injectors were replaced but the engine had same problem. The head was removed and the bore of cylinder no 4 was discovered to be very worn with nasty scratch marks. The car was recovered back to UK in pieces and the Toyota dealer in UK will not comment on cause of damage to the bore (neither will the toyota dealer in France!). The car was 3 months outside 3 yr manufacture warranty and the best Toyota offered was a new engine at cost and the labour charged at warranty rates, I have had a new engine put in at a total cost so far of £8,000. I would be very grateful for any views on what may have caused the damage to the bore, if the garage in France were correct in diagnosing faulty injectors then would that have caused the damage?

Thanks in advance

Can anyone suggest a cause for our 2006 30,000 mile Land cruiser invinsible needing a new engine, the car has a FTSH. We were driving back from France on the motorway when I felt a large vibration, plumes of smoke seen in rear view mirror. We got the car to a Toyota garage in France and they diagnosed faulty injectors. The injectors were replaced but the engine had same problem. The head was removed and the bore of cylinder no 4 was discovered to be very worn with nasty scratch marks. The car was recovered back to UK in pieces and the Toyota dealer in UK will not comment on cause of damage to the bore (neither will the toyota dealer in France!). The car was 3 months outside 3 yr manufacture warranty and the best Toyota offered was a new engine at cost and the labour charged at warranty rates, I have had a new engine put in at a total cost so far of £8,000. I would be very grateful for any views on what may have caused the damage to the bore, if the garage in France were correct in diagnosing faulty injectors then would that have caused the damage?

Thanks in advance

Hi

You may wish to see my posting on http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8620&sid=377de7dc295c686e68f4640d8a8fa4f1 as my 2005 LC popped due to injector related issues.

FTSH, 65000 miles, just under 5 years old....no extended warranty. ALL bills (new engine and labour etc) being covered by Toyota (£9500 approx).

This occurred 3 weeks ago and due to be fixed/picked up/returned in approx 2 weeks.

Good luck...but you should seek reimbursement. A good dealer and some research helps.

Mac

• 1 year later...

Same happened to a mate of mine's invicible. Just out of 3 year warranty so looks like might be a problem! I have 1 with 6 months warranty left on it. Should I being doing anything? It is really noisy when starting from cold. Like reallllly noisy.

Same happened to a mate of mine's invicible. Just out of 3 year warranty so looks like might be a problem! I have 1 with 6 months warranty left on it. Should I being doing anything? It is really noisy when starting from cold. Like reallllly noisy.

Nothing to do with me really 'cos I don't have an LC... But what about going for the extended warranty?? Could save you a lot of heartache if your engine follows the others mentioned on here....

:thumbsup:

DEMAND Toyota pay for it, dont let it slip away this should not happen get it sorted and let us know how you got on :thumbsup:

Its a known problem, due to faulty injector seals.

If we're to restore the LC's reputation, we need to get Toyota to do a proper recall on the injector seals.

Please, if you've suffered engine failure, which you considered to be dangerous (or potentially dangerous) - perhaps because it might have left you with no power in the fast lane - please report it to VOSA.

The form and instructions are here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehicledefects.htm

Hi

You may wish to see my posting on http://www.tlocuk.co...8f4640d8a8fa4f1 as my 2005 LC popped due to injector related issues.

FTSH, 65000 miles, just under 5 years old....no extended warranty. ALL bills (new engine and labour etc) being covered by Toyota (£9500 approx).

This occurred 3 weeks ago and due to be fixed/picked up/returned in approx 2 weeks.

Good luck...but you should seek reimbursement. A good dealer and some research helps.

Mac

Now thats what I call a result! :thumbsup::toast::yahoo:

• 1 month later...

Toyota UK are now replacing the injector seals, so this shouldn't be happening to anybody else. Campaign number 1613G if you're ringing your dealer to find out if yours in included.

The landcruiser can go back to being the most reliable 4x4 out there!

How many years did they use those injectors? I've heard it happening on different model years where the injector failed. Usually the result if blue smoke and they catch it before it does anymore damage.

• 2 months later...

I'm sure there was a post somewhere in these forums, that the injectors seals are failing and as a result, the exhaust gases were contaminating the oil, and the oil was breaking down rapidly. So the oil was not doing its job and you got engines exploding due to wear. Worn crank shaft/cylinder bores etc.

Do these engines run 5w30 rat p!ss oils?

the most common fault on these with the fault above is the strainer in the sump gets clogged up with carbon their for starving the engine of oil......hope all with landcruisers have had the strainer recall done.....ive done around 4 this week...we have also had two engines done under warranty due to this fault....

the most common fault on these with the fault above is the strainer in the sump gets clogged up with carbon their for starving the engine of oil......hope all with landcruisers have had the strainer recall done.....ive done around 4 this week...we have also had two engines done under warranty due to this fault....

Both causes related.

The copper seals at the base of the injectors let exhaust gasses into the oil.

The oil then sludges up, blocking the strainer in the sump.

The engine then fails as a result of low oil pressure.

To anyone reading this: If you haven't had your engine's injector seals changed to the later aluminium ones you need to get it done. There is a customer campaign out at the moment, where Toyota are footing the bill. If your engine isn't covered by the campaign (most are), I'd recommend paying the £200 or so to have them done. If there is any sign of blow-by when the copper seals are taken out, get your oil strainer checked/cleaned also.

Post mid-2008 manufacture have the aluminium seals from new.

• 2 weeks later...

Both causes related.

The copper seals at the base of the injectors let exhaust gasses into the oil.

The oil then sludges up, blocking the strainer in the sump.

The engine then fails as a result of low oil pressure.

To anyone reading this: If you haven't had your engine's injector seals changed to the later aluminium ones you need to get it done. There is a customer campaign out at the moment, where Toyota are footing the bill. If your engine isn't covered by the campaign (most are), I'd recommend paying the £200 or so to have them done. If there is any sign of blow-by when the copper seals are taken out, get your oil strainer checked/cleaned also.

Post mid-2008 manufacture have the aluminium seals from new.

i know mate i have been doing these recalls since they came out i work in a main dealers the recall involves removing the injectors and checking the carbon hasnt gone past the seal and up the injector if the injector is carboned up the sump comes off and the strainer cleaned...

• Like 1