Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 2.0 D-4D 115Bhp - Any Good?

markquinton

Hi All

Can anyone give me some advice regarding the early 2.0 d4d 115bhp engine? I've come across one in an 53 plate T4 and I wondered what they reliability is like? It's got 105k and had water pump and cambelt done at 92k.

Do they have any major faults?

Is the dual mass flywheel a common problem on this engine?

I've heard something about injector failure, is this common?

Would this engine be preferable to either 1.8/2.0 petrol models? Also I see the 0-60 time is a little bit slow, is it a particulary slow engine in real driving?

Thank you very much

Mark

Thats the one ive got, 2003 T-spirit D4D. Never given me any bother, had 80K when i got it 3 years ago, nudging 150K miles now and still drives well. Not the quickest I admit, but once the turbo spools up its got a bit of grunt. Great motorway mile muncher.

cue engine implosion now that ive said that.

I have the 110bhp version 2.0 D4D from 2002 in my Corolla - this is the same engine but with the older ECU mapping.

Mine has now done 170.000 miles and has never missed a beat. Cambelt changed twice (due again at 180k) and regular servicing. But that's it. All else is original from factory. Even the Alternator and AC belts are originals.

From a driveability point of view they suffer from the 'Ketchup-effect' (turbo lag) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Thumbs up from me. Go for it - it's a great car.

Thanks guys, is the dual mass flywheel a big issue on these engines? Mine has just gone in my Mondeo and it's a very expensive job. Seen a nice example with 105k but worried I might be buying it just when the flywheel is about to go.

The best engine of the later (to my mind) generation Toyota's. Shame you cannot get an 05 version. As above, a little bit gutless, every modern diesel has a DMF fitted & from memory would be around the £1000 mark all in from a Toyota Dealer if it go'es wrong.

Hi, nice reliable engine but poor throttle response,you have to put your foot to the floor for overtaking,its a real drag.So what ive done is ordered a chip to remap the engine fromm 116 to 150 bhp.i doubt it will be as much as this. but all im after is a bit of boost when needed.

........ is the dual mass flywheel a big issue on these engines? Mine has just gone in my Mondeo and it's a very expensive job. Seen a nice example with 105k but worried I might be buying it just when the flywheel is about to go.

My car have 144k miles now,and I got a new clutch kit+solid flywheel+ labour,for €850..... :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links