Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust.... I Would Highly Recommend That You Get It Checked.

weevicky

Hey guys; long time since I've posted. I previously had my exhaust changed on warranty; but that is since up. Driving down the motor way yesterday ... with not hard shoulder... I heard a CLUNK.

The guy behind me started flashing his lights I tried to accelerate but nothing happened to had to roll to a stop... on a bad corner; leapt out the car to find this:

12299414a12597480850l.jpg

The AA came to collect me an hour later; and 2 hours after that I had a brand new back box and 90 quid spent out my drinking money for t in the park.

Highly recommend you get it checked even if you don't have a problem as the guys at several garages have told me this happens without warnning.

...as the guys at several garages have told me this happens without warnning.

First off, glad to see you're OK. Secondly, what is 'this' that happens without warning'?

I tried to accelerate but nothing happened...

That's normal for an Aygo, isn't it? :yahoo:

Okay seriously, did you find out what the problem was? sheared bracket or something?

what is 'this' that happens without warning'?

Looking at the photo I'd guess the backbox dropping from under the car...

Looking at the photo I'd guess the backbox dropping from under the car...

I meant what cuased the failure that is so well known ;)

IE: Is it something I can monitor myself; check regularly to see if a particular fixing or part is perishing and get it changed before it lets go.

Just the joints that is holding the back box on corroding extremely fast this is the third exhaust on this car.

First off go out to your car and push the exhaust up (when cool obv) not too hard but enough to see if there is movement. If so get it into a garage asap. You may have a problem. If it doesn't move your cool :)

Bit of an "alarmist" arent you? This has happened to my Fiat Cinquecento Sporting, and my Peugeot 106. Both were purchased brand new.

Theres NOTHING wrong with an exhaust falling off. Its just the metal in the exhaust being inferior.

THATS WHY A LOT PF MODS PEOPLE DO IS TO CHNAGE IT TO HIGHER SPEC STANLESS STEEL.

An exhaust NEEDS to be able to move... If it couldn't, all it's vibrations would transfer to the body...

So being able to move the exhaust is NOT a reason to sprint off to the dealer.

If you can move it too much it is, but most people don;t know how much movement is allowed :unsure:

I stand corrected; yes movement is allowed... but to the stage ofup and down and round and round nah thats not proper.

I'd rather be an alarmist than ignorant. If I was going any faster it could have came off and hit someone behind.

I think the OP is implying that one uses common sense when determining how much movement there actually is. We all know (should know) an exhaust needs to move some and the OP does not suggest that even the slightest movement = trip to Dealer/definite fault.

Its like all the other checks we should be doing: oil/water/tyres/pressures/seals etc. etc. to ensure any car is in tip-top condition before we jump into it every time :)

Exhausts do fall off due to their use of cheap metals. How many cars have you driven,and a hole has developed due to a hole in the exhaust from corrosion. Thasts why some bad boy racers buy stainless steel whole exhaust systems with a lifetimes guarantee.

You can check your exhaust as much as you want, but you`ll not know when it`ll fall off. My Peugeot 106 exhuast corroded from the inside, and didnt know till the last minute. My Renualt`s exhaust rubber loop, perished,and snapped off, and the exhaust fell off. I was okay as had tape in my car to bound up, and tie onto the car to get me home.

best things to do is to stop using the car for short distances, as the exhaust fumes/vapour sit in the exhaust casuing it to corrode. As for the rubber rings that holkd the exhaust up? Stop using your car when it rains. :yahoo: