Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing A Connector For Ipod Or Aux Or Usb Player

rroic

Hi all.

I own a Toyota Corola Verso Family 1.8, 2008 model. It came with a head unit connected to a CD changer, supporting mp3 playback. I want to enable this head unit to connect to my iphone/ipod, or other aux input (Aux, USB). I've seen offers from manufactures, such as http://www.dension.com/, but don't know which model to choose.

My questions are

1. How do I find out which exact model of a headunit my Toyota is equipped with and (more important) which connectors it has?

2. Do you have a recommendation of a headunit, preferably one that I can order online and connect myself.

Thanks.

Roko

Did I ask in the wrong sub-forum, or nobody really tried doing this?

hi rroic . I've got the same problem with my new Verso that although I tried a few portable mp3 players to connect to the AUX output using a few mini jack to jack etc cables, I just couldn't manage to work the AUX button to hear anything.

I'm just wondering about the type of cable I should use. Does anybody has managed to work it before???

Hello Roko, I have the same problem, I have a Verso 2.2Diesel SR, it has the 6Disc changer MP3 Radio, but with no Aux Input. I have attached a picture of it: post-74574-127798828251_thumb.jpg

Mine has the model number W53825, but I can find no wiring diagrams for this model. I thought I was onto a winner when I found this LINK on Google. However, using Google translate to read it, it specifically says it is not compatible with this model radio. I intend summoning up the courage to remove the radio from the dashboard to see what connections it has, when I do, I will post my findings here.

I would prefer to keep the existing radio rather that fit a third party device as I have had bad experiences of these units being stolen from previous vehicles. Also I find the websites selling after market DIN Fascias very confusing.

I have a few questions for other members if they can help:

1. Does anyone have an electrical connection diagram for this model stereo W53825?
  2. Or a photograph of the back of it?
  3. Is there a pre-made Aux Line-In adapter for it?
  4. Or a schematic of a circuit I could build?
  5. Is there a different model Toyota Radio that would fit my dashboard that has Aux Line-In?
  6. Will this DIN adapter fit my car? Link
  7. Some websites show this as 2005 to 2007 others 2005 - onwards. Was there a change to the dashboard in 2007?

Adrian

Idris, thanks for the answer. How did you find which exact model number you have in your car?

Idris, thanks for the answer. How did you find which exact model number you have in your car?

It is printed on the front of the unit in the bottom righthand corner. You can't quite make it out in the picture I posted.

It is printed on the front of the unit in the bottom righthand corner. You can't quite make it out in the picture I posted.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the head unit out today. Here are some pictures and some of the details on it. I'll let you know if I find a suitable way of connecting the iPod directly to it or else the most reasonable kit available. The pictures are not great but will give you an idea or the layout. I was surprised that the Hazard warning and parking sensor switches are part of the radio fascia, this may be why it is so difficult to find a fascia kit for this model. The socket that the Toyota iPod kit connects to is the second from the left. It has 12 pins but no markings.

Model No. 86120-0F040

Ref No. CQ-ES7772G

ID No. W53825 Type W53822

Panasonic Czech Rupublic

Serial Number. 145144

Tedekind 22.07.2008 N1

Idris

post-74574-127962770554_thumb.jpg

post-74574-127962772215_thumb.jpg

post-74574-127962773718_thumb.jpg

post-74574-127962776076_thumb.jpg

post-74574-127962777353_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has any update on this topic? Found this Aux inputlast night. Anyone know if this will work with the W58810 headunit?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roko,

Sorry about my late reply. I discussed the AUX-input with a connects2 kit in another thread. (http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99688&st=0&p=929972&hl=yoast&fromsearch=1entry929972). The connects2 kit was £49.99 and fitting it was £20 at Halfords. The main advantage of asking them to order and fit it was that it was all in one hand.

One thing you should be aware of is that the CD-Changer input will be used. This means that the CD-Changer will be disconnected. I do not mind, I use an MP3-player (in my Garmin-satnav actually) rather than CD's.

The post I refer to has some pictures of the setup. Basically, an Earphone connection is where the signal input is provided. You can plug any source of music in that has a standard earphone connection. When installed you should ask to put a powerlead in as well (either a car-plug, or a USB one seems most versatile).

cheers,

Yoast

Hi all.

I own a Toyota Corola Verso Family 1.8, 2008 model. It came with a head unit connected to a CD changer, supporting mp3 playback. I want to enable this head unit to connect to my iphone/ipod, or other aux input (Aux, USB). I've seen offers from manufactures, such as http://www.dension.com/, but don't know which model to choose.

My questions are

1. How do I find out which exact model of a headunit my Toyota is equipped with and (more important) which connectors it has?

2. Do you have a recommendation of a headunit, preferably one that I can order online and connect myself.

Thanks.

Roko

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I had xcar link wich I bouth wiht a toyota conentor. You need to put the conector in cd changer

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=11

hope it helps you

Thanks Colin, can you confirm that your head unit was the same as mine please? See pictures above.

Did you try this kit with iPhone? If yes do you get ant interferance from the phone circuitry (chirping through the loud Speakers, before an incoming call or periodically whe the phone transmits to cells) And does it allow you to use the head unit for hands free calls?

Idris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just thought I'd reply in here as I have just fitted an Ipod adaptor to my 2005 Verso (W58810 headunit). I went for the Connects 2 CTATYIPOD002 unit. £50 from eBay, or £56 if you require the charging adaptor for Iphone/Nano 5g.

I can highly recommend the unit. Very easy to fit. I was a bit confused at first by all the connectors, but turns out 2 of them are spare. All you need to do is get the radio out, plug in 3 connectors then find somewhere to store the control box (I taped mine up behind the stereo) and run the cable for plugging in to your Ipod. Piece of p**s! The headunit will skip tracks using either the headunit buttons or the steering wheel controls. Playlists are accessed via the disc buttons on the headunit. If you change source back to AM/FM or CD player then the Ipod will go into pause. Will also pause when you turn the engine off and will continue to charge even when the key is out of the ignition. Sound quality is excelent as you would expect. Maybe even better than the standard CD player.

The only minor thing is that during playback the headunit will display Disc 1 Track 1 and does not give any ID3 data, but this is only a minor thing. If you don't know what you're listening to then you just have to check the display on your Ipod! Been using it with a 1st gen Touch as well as a 5th gen Nano with no issues.

Any questions regarding the unit or installation then send me a PM and I'll help if I can.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

Has anyone found a kit for a 2008 corolla verso with W53825 head unit? Mine is like the set of pics earlier in this thread from Idris.

Thanks

Hi there,

Has anyone found a kit for a 2008 corolla verso with W53825 head unit? Mine is like the set of pics earlier in this thread.

Thanks

Hello Stuart, I had limited success with the XCarlink kit KU12851.

Here are some extracts from the Service Ticket I had with them, thoughout XCarlink were an excellent company to deal with and did give me a full refund:

Thank you for your support. I ordered the unit along with the Bluetooth adapter last week.

Generally I am happy with the way it works but I do have a couple of concerns.

Some items that I playback from my iPhone are quite distorted as if there is a pre-amp that is being overdriven. This is the same if I connect via the Bluetooth or the dock connector, however if I use the Jack input connected to the earphone socket on the iPhone the sound quality is fine. The same source material played back on my home stereo dock also sounds fine.

A good example of this if you want to test is the Chequed Flag Podcast review of the Monza GP (CF1: Italian Grand Prix review, 12 Sep 10) from the BBC.

Other items play back crisply, I suspect the difference is the sound level of the recording, but this does not pose issues with other docks.

The other issue is with the Bluetooth telephone calls. It appears that this device is only half duplex? If I speak at the same time as the person on the other end of the phone line they cannot hear me. Is this how this is meant to work? They also report a lot of noise on the line that I do not hear my end.

Can I confirm if the sound is distorted when normal MP3s are being played or does it just occur with recorded audio such as podcasts? These are usually well compressed MP3 files which might have an effect on the audio quality.

In regards to the bluetooth, the problem which is occurring is somewhat unusual. Can I confirm that the bluetooth module has been disconnected then reconnected after 20 seconds forcing it to restart? Also, does the problem exist with every phone used or just when connected to the iphone?

Please let me know and I will gladly assist you further.

The problem with the sound affects music MP3s as well as podcasts. It is easier to hear on spoken word than it is on music though. The issue appears to be with MP3s that are louder.

I found last night that if I connect the audio via bluetooth that I have control on the volume that comes out of the iPhone and by reducing this to around 50% the audio through the head unit is clear again without clipping and distorting. Via the dock connector I have no control over the volume that comes out of the iPhone so the same source is always distorted.

I have not had a chance to test the BlueTooth phone again yet, I will try to do some tests today.

After this they agreed to replace the unit suspecting it was faulty. However the replacement behaved the same way:

I have received and fitted the replacement unit but unfortunately I have the same issues.

On some MP3 tracks and Podcasts the preamp sounds like it is oversaturating when connected via the cable. If I connect via Bluetooth and turn down the volume to 75% the same track plays fine (At 100% volume on Bluetooth it is still distorted).

I am also having the same issues with the Bluetooth phone connection as described below.

Could I return the unit for a full refund please?

It was a real shame, connected via bluetooth adjusting the output volume on the iPhone it worked well, but I could not get it to work via the dock connector or get the hands free calls to work acceptably and at over £100 I felt the cost too high to make this compromise.

Hope this helps, Idris

After this I bought the CTVTYX002 From Connects2 thinking that just an Aux jack input would be straightforward and obviously much cheaper.

Unfortunately this did not work at all, the Head Unit did not recognise it as an Aux device (You get this on our head unit by pressing the CD button twice).

I have now given up as I will change my car in the Spring and will ensure it has iPhone connectivity as standard.

Idris

After this I bought the CTVTYX002 From Connects2 thinking that just an Aux Jack input would be straightforward and obviously much cheaper.

Unfortunately this did not work at all, the Head Unit did not recognise it as an Aux device (You get this on our head unit by pressing the CD button twice).

I have now given up as I will change my car in the Spring and will ensure it has iPhone connectivity as standard.

Idris

Thanks for the detailed info Idris. I have ordered a connects2 unit that apparently connects to the cd changer socket and will charge the iPhone as well? (CTATYIPOD002) from caraudiosecurity.com Sounds like I might end up sending it back based on your experiences!

Did you use any special tools to prise off the side air vent panels next to the radio unit?

Thanks for going to the effort of posting all your photos and info here - without it I wouldn't have a clue - may be a fruitless attempt though!

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stu,

Don't know if you'll have installed the kit yet, but as far as I know it won't charge the iPhone. It certainly doesn't charge my 4s. Also I had to buy the adaptor for it to charge my wife's 4th Gen Nano. The kit works a treat though and should control your iPod no problems.

Good luck.

Hi Stu,

Don't know if you'll have installed the kit yet, but as far as I know it won't charge the iPhone. It certainly doesn't charge my 4s. Also I had to buy the adaptor for it to charge my wife's 4th Gen Nano. The kit works a treat though and should control your iPod no problems.

Good luck.

Apple iDevices need a dongle to charge from USB adapters. There are 3rd-party dongles available, or you could check this out:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/communication-breakdown-10000030/apples-iphone-finally-gets-micro-usb-charger-adapter-10024491/

Geek details - iDevices look for specific voltages on the USB data lines to determine which charge rate to use. You can make your own dongle using a USB socket, a plug and some resistors. Here's a guide:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/icharge.html

• 2 years later...

Well folks, it has been a while!

I finally got round to getting the head unit out on my 2008 Verso (only 2 years after buying the kit) to find that it didn't fit any of the available connections and would be appear to be for an earlier Verso model.

After much cursing and gnashing of teeth, I put the car back together. My fault totally as I believe it states the Verso model years, and I was rather too hopeful.

I have opted for a Parrott MKI9200 that Halfords fitted for £50 - no hassle and now I can connect via bluetooth for calls and play music too and charge the phone - the Parrott plays to all Speakers and has its own volume adjustment, so it isn't quite as I expected. However a great device, if a bit more than the connects2 adapter - Parrott do various different models.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Hi Polis,

I don't know! You seem to have ordered a US spec device - but your vehicle may be different to mine as you are in Europe??

Fingers crossed it works. If you look on earlier posts there is a handy guide how to remove the radio.

PS Sorry about delay in replying.