Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Improved 2010 2.0 Litre Diesel

headhurts

Collected my new Avensis yesterday after a short delay as there have been some improvements to the car requiring new approvals from the EU etc before registration.

Anyway feels totally different from the 2.0 litre diesel I test drove it seems quicker and the change from 1st gear to 2nd is longer (of course all this could be my imagination).

I had the sales managers 2.2 D-Cat auto for a few days and the manual 2 litre from a stand still does feel quicker but of course it is hard to decide as I only test drove the 2.0 litre and did not do any mid range overtaking in the loan car which I suspect must be quicker but for sure this car does feel different to the one I test drove.

Does anyone know what has been changed on the new model 2010 Avensis, believe they class it as the 2011 model.

I am off to France Friday and it will be fully laden so will have a better idea during my trip what the car is like on a run.

This engine seems quieter than the 2.2 diesel or agin is this my imagination?

This is my first diesel car my last car was a petrol V6 Jaguar which was supremely quiet but I have to say once moving this Avensis is comfortable and quiet.

If anyone is interested I will report back as to my impressions during the French trip.

Sunny weather, new car life is sweet. :thumbsup:

If anyone is interested I will report back as to my impressions during the French trip.

Look forward to hearing how you find the new car, my Verso has the same engine and I find it quite impressive,economical,quiet and with a very linear power delivery. :)

Hope you enjoy trip to France and perhaps good advice to avoid topic of football for time being.

Have just clocked 500 miles on my new 2.0D Tourer T4 version (manual), after part exchanging my 5 year old Audi A6 1.9tdi estate with circa 60k miles on clock from new. Having just undertaken 2 return journies in last three days from Newcastle to York, I have really mixed initial feelings about my new Toyota. I really do want to like this car, and am really impressed with the level of equipment, including comfortable electrically adjustable seats, superb audio and sat nav system.

However, the engine is just nothing to compare with the Audi. It is noisy and you really have to work the gears to maintain a decent speed of 70mph on straight roads with relatively insignificant gradients. I am starting to see how cruise control can avoid this, but feel that the engine lacks guts and is generally unrefined.

I would love someone to respond to these comments and say that I should wait till the engine has loosened up and things will improve. I am not confident however. It sounds like a bag of hammers when first started and that does not improve even after it has reached normal operating temperature.

By comparison, the Audi was quiet and had to be restrained from exceeding speed limits, even with 4 occupants and roof pod. Hope your experience is better than mine and perhaps things will improve.

I would love someone to respond to these comments and say that I should wait till the engine has loosened up and things will improve. I am not confident however. It sounds like a bag of hammers when first started and that does not improve even after it has reached normal operating temperature.

By comparison, the Audi was quiet and had to be restrained from exceeding speed limits, even with 4 occupants and roof pod. Hope your experience is better than mine and perhaps things will improve.

Do not be disheartened just yet, the Audi cars are a bit more in most respects regarding the engines but you do pay the premium for them, I test drove an Insignia and a Mazda 6 before buying the Avensis and although both of them seemed quieter on start up they were not in my opinion so refined when moving, I used to driving petrol cars and it is taking some getting used to regarding diesel start up noise but hopefully the running costs will make me smile more so than the Jaguar did.

It is noisy and you really have to work the gears to maintain a decent speed of 70mph on straight roads with relatively insignificant gradients. I am starting to see how cruise control can avoid this, but feel that the engine lacks guts and is generally unrefined.

Hope your experience is better than mine and perhaps things will improve.

Very very suprised at your finding the engine noisy, I don`t know if the different installation has anything to do with it but in the Verso its an extremely quiet diesel engine hot or cold and has been from new(only got 2.4k miles now)

With regard to maintaining your speed, they are very high geared and 6th is almost an overdrive for economy but if the engines kept in the max torque range of around 2.5k revs it should be romping up motorway inclines.

I`m in S/land so might be able to compare if its any help !

I think mine was manufactured late 2009, so it is not the 2010/11 model. I do find it slightly rattly at low revs and idle, and slightly noisier when revved compared with my previous (2007) 2.2. However it seems just as fast, and is very smooth and quiet under normal use i.e. using the mid range torque.

I don't find any difficulty holding 70mph in 6th, even up motorway hills. It is sitting in the peak torque rev range (just under 2000rpm - peak torque is 310NM from 1800-2400rpm), so seems to pull very well.

Can anyone in the know confirm the actual changes to the 2010/11 model (apart from the sat nav/audio upgrade)? I'm most intrigued. I can't find any actual evidence of a change in gearing.

Can anyone in the know confirm the actual changes to the 2010/11 model (apart from the sat nav/audio upgrade)? I'm most intrigued. I can't find any actual evidence of a change in gearing.

The engine has changed a bit. It's now EU5 approved and yes the gear ratios have been slightly altered for better fuel economy. In Verso they managed to drop the co2 emissions from 145 to 139 g/km with this change.

In Verso the 2.0D4D felt a lot quicker and more refined than in this Avensis. I need to go and test drive the newer version to see if there's any difference. I've started to believe that something is not correct in my engine.....:(

The engine has changed a bit. It's now EU5 approved and yes the gear ratios have been slightly altered for better fuel economy. In Verso they managed to drop the co2 emissions from 145 to 139 g/km with this change.

In Verso the 2.0D4D felt a lot quicker and more refined than in this Avensis. I need to go and test drive the newer version to see if there's any difference. I've started to believe that something is not correct in my engine.....:(

Interested to hear the results of this.

Hope you enjoy trip to France and perhaps good advice to avoid topic of football for time being.

Have just clocked 500 miles on my new 2.0D Tourer T4 version (manual), after part exchanging my 5 year old Audi A6 1.9tdi estate with circa 60k miles on clock from new. Having just undertaken 2 return journies in last three days from Newcastle to York, I have really mixed initial feelings about my new Toyota. I really do want to like this car, and am really impressed with the level of equipment, including comfortable electrically adjustable seats, superb audio and sat nav system.

However, the engine is just nothing to compare with the Audi. It is noisy and you really have to work the gears to maintain a decent speed of 70mph on straight roads with relatively insignificant gradients. I am starting to see how cruise control can avoid this, but feel that the engine lacks guts and is generally unrefined.

I had similar thoughts when I got mine, I too had an Audi and it will loosen up in time, but now I've done 30K in mine it 9 months I wouldn't swap it for any German car. I do mountain biking and have often had 5 adults, boot full of gear, three bikes on tow bar rack and two on roof, and the 2.0D4D may not feel as 'urgent' as the Audi but believe me it doesn't loose oomph when loaded. Mine does 42mpg driven reasonably harsh and is mega comfy. The old Audi's had good 'pump deuse' engines which had real urge, but modern Audi's have more linear delivery with the common rail units, trust me, she'll grow on you.

To be clear, I really like the engine.

I would say that the slight rattle at tickover/low revs is a characteristic and certainly not an irritation. It also seems to be reducing as the engine gets run in. Also the car seems to accelerate more quickly than I would expect a 126ps engine in this size of car to do and is very smooth.

I've always found Toyota diesels a bit deceptive speed wise, with no sudden punch at low revs but a very broad spread of power and willingness to rev quite well when necessary.

Have just returned from France and thought I would share my thoughts on my new car.

Never had a diesel before so nothing to compare it to.

Overall I love the car, the mpg with a fully laden car was reading between 45 to 55 mpg.

The six speed box takes some getting used to as the sixth gear does not get used much before 55 to 60mph.

The car is incredibly quiet whilst cruising on the French auto routes and is extremely comfortable, very relaxing to drive.

Going back to the six speed box it is quite difficult initially to get the optimum changes correct as the gear I would use is not necessarily the one to use when watching the ecometer which shows the current fuel usage.

I found the mid range acceleration excellent for overtaking say between 50 to 70mph but you do need to get the right gear but this comes with usage, something you do not get on the French auto routes just drive and go until you reach a toll booth.

The music system is superb as is the satnav.

The suspension is very comfortable for touring but cannot say what it is like when pushed into corners as this is not my style but suspect it should behave well if not as good as say the Mazda 6 or Mondeo.

Not overly keen on the electronic parking brake but again this may be something I will get used to.

Quality of finish on this car seems to be superb and customer service from Dingles in Norwich is excellent.

I chose the tourer in black which looks superb but I think it will be difficult to keep looking good as it does not hide dirt and dust as well as some other colours.

If anyone has any questions then I will answer happily providing I can.

Regards, Robin

Excellent to hear all the very positive feedback about this model, particularly after the misgivings I expressed in an earlier post. This car will be going to France shortly and delighted to hear about the performance on those marvellous roads over there which I am now looking forward to.

This car is growing on me and it certainly helps by having all the superb equipment on board which Toyota should be congratulated for.

The engine is still noisy at between 1000 to 2000 revs, but I am told that my description of "bag of hammers" cannot possibly be right in terms of tappet noise and is more likely to be a noise transmitted by the egr valve. Whatever, it is not too intrusive to spoil my enjoyment of the vehicle and I suspect Audi have lost my custom for good now.

One little niggle, and apologies moderator for going off topic, but the 5 year warranty documentation (still not received) is lagging far behind the Toyota advertising campaign. I hope this is not an issue and trust that Toyota won't do anything daft by introducing unexpected exclusions in the warranty itself especially as I have't had a chance to see what is included/excluded before committing to the vehicle purchase.

Just passed 1000 miles at the weekend and the engine is much improved over new. It seems quieter and more willing. I've done a few longer runs and am averaging 56.5mpg overall, calculated on topping up the tank (the trip computer reads 1.5mpg lower than this, so worth checking manually if you are interested in the true figure).

One little niggle, and apologies moderator for going off topic, but the 5 year warranty documentation (still not received) is lagging far behind the Toyota advertising campaign. I hope this is not an issue and trust that Toyota won't do anything daft by introducing unexpected exclusions in the warranty itself especially as I have't had a chance to see what is included/excluded before committing to the vehicle purchase.

I would chase Toyota or the dealer up regarding the warranty as I have already had a certificate through which I have affixed into the booklet regarding the five year warranty, at the same time I also got vouchers for my three years free servicing.

regards,

Robin

I have now covered over a 1000 miles in the car and it has quietened down considerably, the electric hand brake is very efficient but I still keep reaching for the traditional one that does not exist.

I had a clicking seat which was booked in for attention today but over the weekend I put the electric seat back as far as it would go and then pushed the memory button which seems to have reset it and cured the problem, the garage believes that all the adjusting had put it slightly out of sync.

The car is extremely quiet in motion and very comfortable.

I opted for the trunk management system which is superb, transported some plants last weekend and this held them in place nicely.

In France I was averaging over 50mpg and up to 57mpg,UK I am getting according to the computer 47mpg with mixed driving.

Love the music system and now I am getting used to the satnav like this also.

I would say the engine and gearbox certainly loosen up over time. When it was new my 2.2 D4D Verso would not let me use 5th gear when travelling at 30mph, 20K miles later and this is not a problem, 6th can be used at any speed over 40mph. I moved from a French diesel to the Toyota and have to say it sounded and felt like I had started driving a transit when I changed. I would still say the most refined diesel engines are still made by the French and I have become used to the more clattery Toyota unit. Still it's not bad for a mainstream 7 seater (cost under 20k new) that has a 0-60 time under 10s and can achieve 50+mpg

I would still say the most refined diesel engines are still made by the French and I have become used to the more clattery Toyota unit.

Compared to your engine maybe, but have you tried the new 2.0d unit referred to by the OP in the thread title ?

OK, last fill up after a long motorway/A road run calculates out at 61.7mpg over 300 or so miles at 60-70mph.

Running average now nearly 58mpg over 1400 miles and had been increasing since new (trip computer reading 56mpg)!

Will this change now the hot weather is gone?

This is music for my ears. I'm planning to buy the 2.0 SW D4D, I guess it's the T3 with the premium audio and satnav. In Portugal they call it the Luxury with Multimedia Pack.

I've try it last week and it felt pretty smooth, quiet (comparing to my 2006 2.0 D4D Avensis) and confortable.

Regarding the differences against the old TDI, they're expected due to the engine type. The one used on the old TDI's was very responsive at low rpm but it was not so quiet... The D4D is a commonrail engine which is a nice tecnhology but doesn't have much power on low rpm. Mine wakes up around the 1.8K rpm. The new one has a flat max torque response from the 1800 to 2400rpm and a max power at 3600rpm so I would expect a nice linear response at the medium rpm's.

My boss used to have the 2.0 TDI A4 and changed to the new 2.0 Q5 (that's commonrail)and the difference is exactly the same: you loose the initial punch but you get a smoother but extended and quiet response from it.

Best of luck for your Avensis!

Did anyone discovered what's behind the nice audio system (manufacturer, number of AMP's or processors... there's much a fuss on this issue but no definitive answers, not even from the Toyota guys, at least here in Portugal).