Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla D4D Wont Start

mowgli5381

Hi all, I have aprblem with my corolla verso 2.0 D4D. It wont start when cold unless its had the jump leads on it and cranked for like 20 minutes, after which it will slowly splutter to life. After this it runs absolutely fine and there are no fault codes stored. If you the turn it off and try to restart it, its still a sod to get going. Im suspecting pressure dropping off in the common rail, but does anyone know any common things or at least where to start? I cant seem to find a workshop manual anywhere so I dont know where and solenoids or anything are. Any help is very much appreciated.

This is probably going to sound daft, but do you glow plugs need changing?

Have checked the glow plugs, they're all fine. Cant help but think is there a solenoid valve or something on the pump or rail that is stuck open and allowing the fuel pressure to drop away?

+1 on the glow plugs. they only cost about 15 quid a pop, change them anyway. also its a daft suggestion but there is fuel in the car yes? could be fuel pump and/or filter clogged up too...do you usually let your diesel level drop right low before you fill the tank?

+2 Glow Plugs sounds like the problem.

If it was your fuel then it wouldn't work smoothly at any point.

Even one failed glow plug should bring the MIL on. My D4D had three glow plugs fail and the car started no bother on its one remaining even in the dead of winter.

I sounds to me fuel related, try unplugging no. 1 electrical connector and crank it and see if it is any easier to start, then plug it back in then try no. 2 then no.3 an no. 4.

If it starts while doing this then you have a problem with your injectors.

have tested plugs and they are definately ok, It still doesn't want to start even if you turn it off when its red hot and immediately try to re start. With regards to the injectors you mean to say that if you disconnect the wiring to a duff injector, it will start better without it? will try it in the morning, but just wanted to clarify.

Yeah thats right, It may not start straight away but if it starts quicker than before then its a problem with the injectors.

Let me know how you get on.

Right, well after unplugging the injectors in turn, and having now reset the MIL lamp, it actually starts a bit better than it did. Is this likely an injector fault? i only ask as this literally happened overnight, was fine in the afternoon, and next morning wouldn't go. One thing I have noticed is that on the diagnostic readout, it is constantly putting the calculated load value at 98-100%, is this significant to any particular fault. Many thanks for the help so far too.

did you ever let the diesel level get too low? if so the car will have dragged some gunk from the bottom of the tank through to the injectors and they'll be clogged hence the problems starting. i dont know if its possible but you could try cleaning the injectors with diesel?

filled up from quarter of a tank well before this happened, and fuel filter has always been changed, has a new one on there now.

You could have a faulty glow plug relay? It's a Black and grey relay about 3-4cm square towards the right side of the engine bay.

plugs are lighting up fine, and the relay is timing on and off ok, like i said the puzzling thing is that it litteraly was overnight it happened. Really driving me mad, but i just dont want to go and throw money replacing parts I dont need to, but with nothing blatant showing fault its hard to know what to do. Thanks for all the help so far everyone, is very much appreciated.