Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running In Period For New Aygos

ChillAygo

Got my aygo blue yesterday and love it. I got told by dealer that there is no running in period and the engine is optimized when it leave the factory. I have heard in the past thats its best to rag a new engine for the first few miles. Looking at the manual it says you should be gentle for the first 600 miles. I have had the odd blast in 2nd gear upto 60mph (love the engine note) and its now done 40 miles!

My dealer also said 600 miles but I did do the odd burn to to see what it could do, but then I kept it below 60mph and drove it carefully until all was bedded in. thumbsup.gif

I'm just up to 600 miles now, I have probably revved it over 3000rpm on occasion for two reasons:

1. I don't have a rev counter.

2. Sometimes you pull out on to a clear roundabout, then a Range Rover Sport comes trundling around at about a million miles per hour, you've got no option but to try and speed up a bit.

I like my Aygo but I'll never buy a car with a 1 litre engine again, a 1.3 would have been perfect in this car IMO.

1.3 would have been perfect in this car IMO.

Unquote

What's IMO please?

Unquote

What's IMO please?

In my opinion, sorry it's 'youth speak'.

Unquote

What's IMO please?

In my opinion, sorry it's 'youth speak'.

lol - thanks for that, some I know but as an 'oldie' I have to catch up!

What's IMO please?

:lol::lol:

Sorry I realise you had to ask if you didn`t know :D

Youth speak, my sister is a teacher and she once had a pupil hand in an essay all written in text speak... :blink:

I was also told you dont need to give new cars a "running in" period. Cars are not like how they were built 20 years ago. Cars have tighter tolerences, and built a lot better than yester year.

I was also told you dont need to give new cars a "running in" period. Cars are not like how they were built 20 years ago. Cars have tighter tolerences, and built a lot better than yester year.

We are taking about a three potted engine made in the former eastern block :D

We are taking about a three potted engine made in the former eastern block :D

An engine that won several awards for "Best Small Engine (sub 1.0 litre)" when it was first introduced 2007/2008/2009

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/previous04.html

That is a terrific engine :thumbsup:

as far as i understand the CAR is made in Czech republic but the ENGINE is Japanese - Daihatsu (sub division of Toyota) and is one of the best bits of the car IMHO!

as far as i understand the CAR is made in Czech republic but the ENGINE is Japanese - Daihatsu (sub division of Toyota) and is one of the best bits of the car IMHO!

Exactly! This is why when Japan started to import their cars to the UK. British Leyland crapped their pants. Japanese cars had better quality standards, tighter engine tolerances, better body work alignment, electrics and of course - better use of materials. :thumbsup:

The engine of the Aygo is made of aluminium, and is the lighteset in the market for its catergory.

Exactly! This is why when Japan started to import their cars to the UK. British Leyland crapped their pants. Japanese cars had better quality standards, tighter engine tolerances, better body work alignment, electrics and of course - better use of materials. :thumbsup:

The engine of the Aygo is made of aluminium, and is the lighteset in the market for its catergory.

Full info here:

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/winners_10/sub1.html

For me the added bonus is that this engine is chain driven. Unlike many others in the class that are driven by belts - consequently you don't have to change belts/tensioners every couple of years at a massive cost.

Superb engine, lovely little revvy thing it is too! :)

Looking at the manual it says you should be gentle for the first 600 miles. I have had the odd blast in 2nd gear upto 60mph (love the engine note) and its now done 40 miles!

That will do it a world of good!

A new 3 cylinder one litre engine getting canned within a few miles of its life! I don’t do that to an engine that’s been run in.

First 1000 miles is driven carefully :thumbsup:

Thats all in your opinion. The rare blast in its first few miles wont do it any harm at all. I once bought a honda civic and was told to drive hard from the off.....it was a type r though. Also the olds man new mx5, he was given the same advice.

i done just over 300 miles in mine so far, been running gentle but does pay off in the fuel economy tho lol, being gentle is the new way forward for heavy footed me lol

IIRC Honest John recommends new cars to be driven by as many different drivers as possible to ensure the engine is run-in properly, hence why (he suggests) fleet cars are better run-in.

Ours was bought as a fourth drive-by-everyone car and indeed it was driven in varying (but not abusive) styles from new. Don't know if it has been run-in per textbook - it seems happy enough!

I really didn't push mine until 1000 miles. Now done about 8500 and runs great. On a recent trip to Belgium covered 1300 miles in 5 days and got almost 60mpg, really chuffed. :thumbsup: