Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Stalling And Power Problems

Timmers

I have a 1996 RAV4 Auto which is becomming unusable! It starts OK, but within a few minutes, if I have to slow down or stop it stalls and can be very difficult to restart. Also, when driving normally sometimes the engine light comes on and I lose power until I pump the accelerator. I have recently had the fuel pump electrics checked and fitted new plugs. A garage have looked at it for me but could not find any fault. Has anyone any ideas?

Welcome to the club.

There is a lttle device plugged into the air intake called a mass airflow meter (MAF) which is really a heated wire that measures the resistance as varting amounts of incoming air cool it. If it becomes dirty (in which case you can clean it) or open circuit (in which case it needs changing) it will play up as you describe. It isn't guaranteed but its a good starting point. It will be plugged into the tube from the air filter to the inlet manifold.

Thanks anchorman for your reply. I have looked for a MAF as suggested but could not find it. On further investigation (on the internet) I found several postings saying that the 1996 RAV4 has a MAP not a MAF. My car is registered in January 1996. Do you know if this is the case and if so where is it?

Quite right, MAP. I'm away from home at the mo so can't get at my info but there is quite a lot of info on the US web site. I found this on cleaning the IAC (another cause) with a quick search;

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17850&highlight=clean+iac