Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Pump And Drive Belt Change

marco polo

hello lads ,i have 165,000 kilometers on the clock just wondering on service life of waterpump and drive belt, timing chain does not have to be replaced waterpump is driven by the drive auxilery belt just wondering is it handy to do and whats the service life of belt and pump. its the 2008 d4d 2 litre model 6 speed gearbox with timing chain engine

i cant believe that there is nobody out there, that cant answer that question

Why do you want to change the chain, you would only change it if you had a bit of chain slap due to guides being worn or chain stretched. If you have an external water-pump it will have a small hole below the drive bearing/impeller unit, if their is no sign of water ingress, why would you change it. If i have read this wrong and you have a 2003/05 D4D belt drive engine then belt is changed every 60,000 miles & i would change water pump at the same time on that milage as new belt could knock high milage water pump bearing out in a couple of week's. Go to "Autodata" site & for a few EURO you can print of chain or belt drive info with picture, change procedure is shown. You can take it from their.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: In fairness to other forum user's, unless they are in the trade how would they know.

why do you want change water pump since it is powered by driving belt you can do it when it goes wrong.if its still ok leave it.if it would be powered with timing belt like in vauxhalls then yes,but driving belt on your car is easy to replace and since your water pump on driving belt route you have no reason to change it.

regards joe

cheers lads for replies,its a timing chain d4d engine so dont have to worry about the chain replacement. its not the internal chain replacement as will last life of engine, the water pump is run from a separate drive belt that runs ,power steering,alternater and air conditioner just wondering on milege for replacing of drive belt and is there a milege replacement for them as car is up to 167,000 kilometers or 100,000 miles

cheers lads for replies,its a timing chain d4d engine so dont have to worry about the chain replacement. its not the internal chain replacement as will last life of engine, the water pump is run from a separate drive belt that runs ,power steering,alternater and air conditioner just wondering on milege for replacing of drive belt and is there a milege replacement for them as car is up to 167,000 kilometers or 100,000 miles

I assume this is a normal multi-ridged drivebelt that drives the waterpump and aircon. They last longer than you may think. Normally you check to make sure you have not lost two or more ridges at any point on the belt. The belts and ridges can look quite dry and cracked but still be perfectly fine.

I have done' 170k with my 2.0 D4D engine and still running with the original belts.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it :)

I assume this is a normal multi-ridged drivebelt that drives the waterpump and aircon. They last longer than you may think. Normally you check to make sure you have not lost two or more ridges at any point on the belt. The belts and ridges can look quite dry and cracked but still be perfectly fine.

I have done' 170k with my 2.0 D4D engine and still running with the original belts.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it :)

It's all very well running the original belt for 170k but if it snaps it will trash your engine.