Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tesco Vs Asda

eddieinvader

O.K. Hi Guys.

When I first had my car for months I used only Tesco petrol and was not happy with the mpg returns, swapped to Asda petrol as it is cheaper aswell and noticed that my mpg increased by around 20 - 30 miles from a full tank, driving the car the same as I always do.

I usually fill up when the light comes on and the cost of filling up is roughly the same.

This is not something that I am imagining as I had to fill up in Tescos last time and I am back to getting less miles from a full tank.

Has anyone on here used both Tesco and Asda petrol?

If so has anyone else noticed if they get more miles from a full tank of Asda 95 octane over Tesco 95 octane.

As far as i'm concerned, it all comes from the same place, gets filled in the same type of tankers, but with a different name at the end, when you come to pay for it.

Why the hell are you using 95??

O.K. Hi Guys.

When I first had my car for months I used only Tesco petrol and was not happy with the mpg returns, swapped to Asda petrol as it is cheaper aswell and noticed that my mpg increased by around 20 - 30 miles from a full tank, driving the car the same as I always do.

I usually fill up when the light comes on and the cost of filling up is roughly the same.

This is not something that I am imagining as I had to fill up in Tescos last time and I am back to getting less miles from a full tank.

Has anyone on here used both Tesco and Asda petrol?

If so has anyone else noticed if they get more miles from a full tank of Asda 95 octane over Tesco 95 octane.

i have noticed that aswell on my corolla verso - asda fuel is alot cheaper and gives me more mpg

Neither Tesco or Asda refine their own fuels so they will be just about the same in quality etc.

Sorry but I certainly do not subscribe to the suggestion that one is better or worse than the other huh.gif

My local Shell is cheaper than both of them... :lol:

My opinion is that supermarket fuel is cheap, and its cheap for a reason.

If you think back about a year ago alot of motorists were having problem with thier cars. It finally came out that tesco fuel was contaiminated with silicone. It did not affect everywhere but i know a few people who were affected by it.

They do not refine the fuel themselves so they cant control what is init.

I prefer to use Shell as they do refine it them selves and my local one is cheaper than tesco.

But that is just my personal opinion.

+1 for Shell. supermarket fuels are known for being of a lesser quality compared to Shell, bp etc. as far as i am concerned this argument has been gone over many times by motoring enthusiasts/magazines/media and conclusion is that supermarket fuels are of a lesser quality compared to companies who refine their own.

Neither Tesco or Asda refine their own fuels so they will be just about the same in quality etc.

Sorry but I certainly do not subscribe to the suggestion that one is better or worse than the other huh.gif

I am not suggesting that one is better than the other.

All I was asking was if anyone else has noticed any mileage gains with Asda as opposed to Tesco, as I definitely have.

As for using 95 the car runs fine with it no problems at all. I have used this since I have owned the car which is nearly a year.

bare in mind the hotter weather will cause the car to run more efficiently.

if you are in the same locality the petrol in bog standard unleaded will be the same no matter which supermarket you get it from.

never buy supermarket fuel

+2 for Shell cheapest fuel in my area :thumbsup:

My local Shell is cheaper than both of them... :lol:

yep same here v power all the way 99 99 99 99 99 99 yeahhhhhhhhhh

Shell are a bit cheeky on the sly though. They own all the petrol stations at work so there's no competition, so the price for fuel on all 3 stations is the same. And it's quite a few pence mark up from average too.

I'm sure my car would run fine on 95 aswell

But on 98 ron Shell juice it runs amazing...nothing better (also used tesco 99 when im in the area)

Whilst I appreciate the comments I can tell you I have used Shell, BP and Esso apart from that sold by Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury.

I have had family cars made by Ford, Nissan and Toyota. They include 4, 6 and 8 cylinder cars - diesel and petrol - a sports car - 4X4 and now the Avensis. I have used 95RON and 99RON.

I have never found one brand of petrol to be superior to another unless comparing 95 to 99RON, my 350Z ran better on 99.

Never have I allowed the predjudice or hype to cloud my judgement as to what petrol is good or what is not so good.

I am driven by price because I look for a bargain, in my area Tesco is invariably cheaper and the closest filling station to me. Guess where I fill up laugh.gif

toyota advise in the tsport compressor manual to use 98 octane or higher.. but most stations the highest octane is 97 but tesco have ultimum at 99 and same with Shell v power at 99 but there aint a tesco that sells tesco just a forecourt tescos selling esso fuel. so ive stuck to Shell

Just always use premium fuel in the compressor obviously try for 98+ but premium 97 should be perfect aswell, If you notice Shell dont actually advertise there octane ratings on many pumps. Some of the vpower pumps just have v power on them and others have 99, It varies for different areas which octane they are supplying for there premium petrol. I myself always use Shell and premium unleaded. ;)

shell are a bit cheeky on the sly though. They own all the petrol stations at work so there's no competition, so the price for fuel on all 3 stations is the same. And it's quite a few pence mark up from average too.

I have noticed this too, Shell pricing can be weird at times however my local Shell station is usually the cheapest if not one of the cheapest and I don't mind paying just a tad extra over supermarkets for better fuel. the local tesco is very very cheeky though lol they charge same price as the bp pump across the road from them for crappy fuel, you'd think they'd price aggresively to attract customers from bp but no...

• 1 month later...

Right have tried Tesco best stuff since my last post and did not get any extra miles or performance gain over their normal stuff, have gone back to using Asda petrol since and my mileage has increased again better mpg and getting roughly 30 miles more per full tank.

Definately better petrol than Tesco have done the juice and the maths and getting better results for my money anyday.

As far as 99 ron goes for me it seems a big con as the performance and mileage did not increase at all.

I generally stick to Shell VPower or Tesco 99. Generally they're the same price but Shell is closer, seems to be the cheapest for 95ron round here because its sat between a Morrisons and an Asda.

Right have tried Tesco best stuff since my last post and did not get any extra miles or performance gain over their normal stuff, have gone back to using Asda petrol since and my mileage has increased again better mpg and getting roughly 30 miles more per full tank.

Definately better petrol than Tesco have done the juice and the maths and getting better results for my money anyday.

As far as 99 ron goes for me it seems a big con as the performance and mileage did not increase at all.

It takes a few full tanks of v power before you start to notice the difference. Use v power for a month then go back to 95, thats when you notice.

It takes a few full tanks of v power before you start to notice the difference. Use v power for a month then go back to 95, thats when you notice.

I used Tesco 99 for a few weeks and noticed nothing at all, except the cost. :lol:

I used Tesco 99 for a few weeks and noticed nothing at all, except the cost. :lol:

Fair enough bud :thumbsup:

ive been using Shell for years just because i thought was better quality, how ever recently have stated using asda. i found that theres no difrence in performance, however i seem to get more miles per full tank with asda than i do with Shell and its cheaper so ive just continued to use that.

Didnt see any benefit(although after 1st filling up with it i tried convincing myself my car was instantly faster lol) using vpower so i just stick to 95.

I have done hundreds of thousands of miles while I was a taxi driver, using various cars ranging from Ford Sierras to Peugeot 406's, and I have never had any engine trouble with Tesco fuel, which I used 99% of the time as it was the nearest petrol station and open 24/7.

I remember years ago we used to pick up a guy that ran a Shell station just after Tesco started selling fuel, and he started telling me loads of horror stories like my engine would blow up and all sorts of crap.

Anyone in the know will tell you that the supermarkets often make a loss on petrol sales just to get people into the shop.