Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central Locking - Two Queries

rogerd

Hi

Just acquired a new 1.4 D-4D Yaris - a big step forward from my 9-year old JTD Fiat Punto. The latter had central locking - but this didn't operate remotely. I've a couple of queries relating to locking on my new Yaris:

1 On page 16 of the handbook it states: 'Since the doors and back door can be locked without a key, you should always carry a spare key in case you accidentaly lock your keys inside your vehicle.' Try as I might, I can't envisage the circumstances under which this this would happen. I've locked all the doors from the inside, using the power door lock switch, but when I open the drivers door and get out, and close the driver's door, the driver's door is still unlocked, although all the other doors are locked.

2 What's the point of using double locking? In other words, in what way is a double locked car more secure than a single locked car?

All advice much appreciated

Roger D

Hi

Just acquired a new 1.4 D-4D Yaris - a big step forward from my 9-year old JTD Fiat Punto. The latter had central locking - but this didn't operate remotely. I've a couple of queries relating to locking on my new Yaris:

1 On page 16 of the handbook it states: 'Since the doors and back door can be locked without a key, you should always carry a spare key in case you accidentaly lock your keys inside your vehicle.' Try as I might, I can't envisage the circumstances under which this this would happen. I've locked all the doors from the inside, using the power door lock switch, but when I open the drivers door and get out, and close the driver's door, the driver's door is still unlocked, although all the other doors are locked.

2 What's the point of using double locking? In other words, in what way is a double locked car more secure than a single locked car?

All advice much appreciated

Roger D

Hi

My understanding of double locking is basically if someone get in the car they couldn't unlock the doors from the inside.

James

Hi there

If I double lock my prius I can also open my drivers door from inside, but I think it's more a case of extra security from toe rags that might want to deprive you of your pride and joy

You need to be able to get out of your car whatever the circumstances for safety.

My 02 Yaris has double loking and if I press the remote lock button twice, within a few seconds, the doors will not open either from the outside nor the inside. If you were in the car, you would have to stay there! If you smashed a window to get in, you could only get in via the broken window, not the door. Not even the door loking safety device near the window switches will re-activate the doorlocks so you will need the key to enter/exit the car! :thumbsup:

Also, if you unlock the car but do not open a door or the boot within 30 seconds, the car will automatically re-lock itself. B)

My 02 Yaris has double loking and if I press the remote lock button twice, within a few seconds, the doors will not open either from the outside nor the inside. If you were in the car, you would have to stay there! If you smashed a window to get in, you could only get in via the broken window, not the door. Not even the door loking safety device near the window switches will re-activate the doorlocks so you will need the key to enter/exit the car! :thumbsup:

Also, if you unlock the car but do not open a door or the boot within 30 seconds, the car will automatically re-lock itself. B)

Same on my 2010 Yaris.

James