Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky Passenger Seat

Grumpy Cabbie

The last month or so I've had a really bad squeaky front passenger seat. It sounds like a washer spinning on a metal bar or jangling a set of keys between cupped hands. Started off gradually and now pretty much does it all the time over 40 mph. Realised it was the front passenger seat and nothing else as it stops when someone is sitting on the seat.

Reported it to the dealers at the 20k service at the beginning of this month and they said they'd look into ordering a new seat base. Well they rang me this morning to say it's arrived and I will be off to get it fitted tomorrow morning. Will let you know if it cures the noise.

Anyone else had similar rattles? I've read of the US site that some of their members have problems with their passenger seats so I wonder if this is a bigger problem than so far reported. Interesting that the LHD US Prius has a similar rattle on their passenger seat (our drivers seat) and I wonder if it's a fault on the front seats manufacturing? Only rattles when someone not sitting on the seat so the drivers seat could be faulty and we'd never know. :huh:

New seat base fitted and squeak has gone :thumbsup:

Bit of a result there then Grumpy!!!

Well done

I spoke too soon :crybaby:

Just been out in the car tonight after the seat has been fixed and guess what :censor:

I spoke too soon :crybaby:

Just been out in the car tonight after the seat has been fixed and guess what :censor:

Guess you'll just have to ask your fares not to !Removed! then Grumpy lol

I think I suffer from the same fault. I liken my T4's seat noise to a hard drive on a laptop/pc when it's being accessed. It's a quiet, ticking noise and gets quite irritating. In fact, it's only drowned out when the dashboard starts rattling or by turning up the stereo. Could be worse though. I could own a rattly car that only does 30mpg.

Have you tried putting a bag of cement on the passenger seat ;)

I think I suffer from the same fault. I liken my T4's seat noise to a hard drive on a laptop/pc when it's being accessed. It's a quiet, ticking noise and gets quite irritating. In fact, it's only drowned out when the dashboard starts rattling or by turning up the stereo. Could be worse though. I could own a rattly car that only does 30mpg.

Have you tried putting a bag of cement on the passenger seat ;)

Apparantly it's a known fault with certain Lexus and Toyota models according to one of the members from the US forum who I think works for a US dealer as he posted a copy of a Toyota Service Bulletin showing how to sort it. However, I think this was what my dealer had followed but the fault is still there. I have traced it since to the base of the back of the seat. If you tap the seat at the back at the bottom you can get the same noise. The sound appears to come from within the seat - a loose spring or airbag assembly or something perhaps?

Well I find out tomorrow.

Just got back from the dealers. Went for an extended test drive and the noise did occur - thankfully.

Turns out that it is the seatbelt housing thingy - the bit you plug the seatbelt into.

Dealers have ordered one and I get it fitted on Wednesday. So hopefully all is well this time :)

FWIW, Halfrauds used to sell a product called Vinyl and Rubber Lubricant, or somesuch. It was very good at silencing trim squeaks caused by friction. I don't know if it's still available, but it might be worth a try in some circumstances.

Hi guys,

I have a noise but it is located in the lumbar support of the driving seat. I have had the seat back change under warranty and it cured it. Sadly it has come back and I have spoke to the Area Manager who said they are aware of the problem and there is now a fix. I told him who my dealer was and he said get them to ring him and he will instruct them what to do. So not far off of a 10,000 mile service when I will be taking it in to my Dealer to fix the problem. Are you sure yours is coming from the seat base and not the seat back?

Stompe

:thumbsup:

The replaced seat belt thingy has cured the problem/noise.

:)

The replaced seat belt thingy has cured the problem/noise. thats good then!

Yes :)

I am a Happy Cabbie - for today only :wacko: