Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Touch Up Paint Query

kevin65

I touched up the few chips on the paintwork this weekend fine but left the rust spot above the windscreen on the drivers side till last. I eventually got it primed and painted with the Toyota touch paint stick but it rained a few hours later. I thought that the lacquer looked a little milky in the rain, but when it dried up it looked fine. Would a few hours be enough for the lacquer to dry out will enough to be rain resistant? I know the instructions say not to wash the car for at least 24 hours, but washing a car is more agressive that rain. Repair looks fine, but looking for a little reassurance :)

I touched up the few chips on the paintwork this weekend fine but left the rust spot above the windscreen on the drivers side till last. I eventually got it primed and painted with the Toyota touch paint stick but it rained a few hours later. I thought that the lacquer looked a little milky in the rain, but when it dried up it looked fine. Would a few hours be enough for the lacquer to dry out will enough to be rain resistant? I know the instructions say not to wash the car for at least 24 hours, but washing a car is more agressive that rain. Repair looks fine, but looking for a little reassurance :)

How on Earth is washing your car with just water more aggressive than rain? Its not if you just use water. Washing the car first is to get rid of any much, sand, grit, oil, great of first so the primer/paint can adhere to the metal work. Rain water is fine. Its not actually water that causes rust. It helps corrosion but rust forms from bare metal being exposed to air.

You`ll be fine! :thumbsup:

I think you misread my post. I actually stated that car washing is more agressive than rain(didn't state washing with water only), and so was wondering what was a reasonable drying time for the touch up paint before it was exposed to rain.

what was a reasonable drying time for the touch up paint before it was exposed to rain.

About four hours to be air dry, then another twenty hours for it to be totally cured.

Worst case scenario you might have to lightly rub it back and respray the lacquer thumbsup.gif

Thanks, it looks OK now, but I'll be giving it a light rub down to blend it in with the existing paint in a week or so when it has properly hardened.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links