Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Overheating Problems

redoctober

My 1992 Carina 1.6 is having a few summer problems and I'm hoping someone can help me. My car overheated on the motorway and I ended up having to pay 250 quid to have a new water pump fitted (with Cam Belt change at the same time!). This worked for a couple of weeks and then it overheated again.

To fix it I now find myself having to constantly fill up the radiator and expansion tank. However the water from the cooling system seems to leak into the offside rear passenger footwell! Has anyone else had this problem or is this a unique problem?! :help:

Any advice would help a lot... :thumbsup:

My 1992 Carina 1.6 is having a few summer problems and I'm hoping someone can help me. My car overheated on the motorway and I ended up having to pay 250 quid to have a new water pump fitted (with Cam Belt change at the same time!). This worked for a couple of weeks and then it overheated again.

To fix it I now find myself having to constantly fill up the radiator and expansion tank. However the water from the cooling system seems to leak into the offside rear passenger footwell! Has anyone else had this problem or is this a unique problem?! :help:

Any advice would help a lot... :thumbsup:

Heater matrix leaking and coolant settling in the rear foot wells?This being the lowest point? :blink:

Straight away I would say that it's your heater matrix. When the engine gets hot and at operating temperature are the hoses solid/tough to compress?

You can check the matrix by removing the fascia, do this and run the engine to see if you can spot the leak. If it's not too bad then you can go and get some RadWeld to see if you fix it. To be honest though, you'd be better off getting another Matrix. :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Straight away I would say that it's your heater matrix. When the engine gets hot and at operating temperature are the hoses solid/tough to compress?

You can check the matrix by removing the fascia, do this and run the engine to see if you can spot the leak. If it's not too bad then you can go and get some RadWeld to see if you fix it. To be honest though, you'd be better off getting another Matrix. :yes:

Is it easy to get to? When you say the fascia is it just the central part with the radio/heater controls etc or the surround that forms part of the dashboard as well?

I'm trying to source a replacement matrix too - any ideas??

Thanks

Nope they are complete buggers unfortunately.

They are usually behind the radio and heater controls etc yes. :yes: You will have to take all of them out to get at it.... :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Brilliant! Thanks v much for your help. I'm just waiting for a day off (and a dry one at that) to spend dismantling everything, fixing and then hopefully putting back in the right place!!

:wacko:

No problem at all mate. It's a very doable job but it's fiddly so take your time with it. Organise everything that you remove too, make sure you label which screws went where so you don't forget!

Tell me how it goes. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links